How did you figure out what to do?????

ApC23

I've been out of High School for almost 3 years now. I went to college because I didn't know what to take in University and I didn't want to waste $20,000. So now I have a Diploma in a field I no longer want to work in, and the field that I do want to work in, does not seem like the best option.

I originally took Police Foundations in College and was looking to apply to a force after graduating, but after working security 7 months and making arrests and going to court, I realized I'm not fit for that kind of work. I got too stressed out in those situations.

Ideally, I would like a career where I could work outdoors. I love gardening (I have a 550 square foot vegetable garden) and I enjoy doing landscaping. But, I don't know how secure that job would be for me, especially as I get older. I don't really want to start my own business, and down here there is no steady or set wage for landscapers. Typically, the companies just hire cheap labor for the summer months. The only possible thing I can think of in that field, is to apply for to the parks/forestry department for my city and work for them, but the wages they make aren't really that great either.

So thats where I'm at now...I don't know what to pursue. The only thing I can see myself doing and actually enjoying is some sort of work outdoors...

Any advice or stories you can share?

Thank You

I can tell you only that I discovered what I wanted to do in a book I found at a book store. The book was on display in the window and I thought it would be a good read, and before you know it I had discovered something about me that I never knew. That was 1.5 years ago and while I am not making a living off what I want, the small successes have meant the world to me. I am still going and still improving and not going downhill, so I keep going. I know I'm not being real specific, but that is how it was for me, just some random moment. And it wasn't a career book either, just a story about some guys life.

My story is very similar to yours - except I went all the way through University and a Master's program - only to discover that I was not cut out for the field that I got my Master's in.

The main reason that I'm posting is because you say you like working outdoors and with plants - have you ever considered Biotechnology? I'm in a program for this right now, and I know one of the areas you can work in is a greenhouse (likely for isolating sugars/proteins from plants, but you'll be working with plants). It's a pretty stable field, and the future looks good with the "green" movement.

Also, look into some of the "green" careers that your college is probably advertising to the public. Many of these fields require you to work outside.

Another good way to find out what you might want to do - take a look at job openings in your area. Do any of them sound like something you'd like to do? If you find something that sounds interesting, research it a bit more.

And if landscaping or working for the forestry department is your passion - then go for it and don't worry about the money. There will always be a need for both of these areas, although landscaping will be very seasonal unless you are willing to move to somewhere that doesn't have a cold winter. You'll probably make a livable wage, and although you may never be able to buy a mansion and a Mercedes, you'll make it. I can personally vouch for the truth of the statement that "money can't buy happiness." If you don't like what you do, then you'll often feel like you're wasting your life at that job.

• 2 weeks later...
And if landscaping or working for the forestry department is your passion - then go for it and don't worry about the money

Anything can become money. If you see this as your passion, I just put "landscaping" into a search and found out there are 9,1 million searches on it every month on Google. How much do you think it would be worth to have a niche site with a top 10 ranking on that word where you sold an e-book for 39.99$, with perhaps some extra affiliate links to people selling other products you may use in this context?

Thank me when you are rich in two years from now

And send me a pm if you need a site set up for you, can even have the book written for you as well. Make an offer

Go with what you're interested in. Some people are in it for the money while some can make just as good money doing what they love (or sacrifice money sometimes). There are a lot of studies out there that many people nowadays don't stick to one career which was very common when our parents and grandparents worked.

You'll find different interest along the way. I'm finding that myself. I probably won't be doing the same line of work in the next five years. The industry changes thing, technology and we all change. Good luck

I used a workbook called Discover What You're Best At. It has a bunch of quizzes, and based on your answers it suggests careers you'd be good at. Among the suggestions were careers I'd never thought of. I ended up choosing one and have been very happy in my career for many years.

My dad never finished high school, he dropped out of school when he was 14, grade 7 at the time. From there he went on to work all his teen years. He later worked in woods, his own bussines cutting down trees and selling his stuff to many mills. He got tired of it.

He loves to garden (grow his own food) Last year he had 3 gardens on 3 different properties. he sold his vegtables tio local resturants, stores, wholesale places and markets. He lost a lot of money his first year, because of the cost of starting this up. He needed a 2nd tractor, greenhouse and tons of other stuff. This year he bought another tractor (sold one of his old ones), and some equpment for planting and stuff. Once again he spent a lot of money but this year his list of potential buyers is bigger, and one guy is willing to pay a lot for it.

My mom and dad did all the work nearly. They had one guy hired on to help and that was it. Last year my dad probably bought in 34,000 or so. A lot of that went to paying/covering the cost of starting up and stuff. So this year should not be as stressful for them.

My dad is a hard worker and highly motivated though, so maybe this seemed easy to him. Now if the garden doesn't work this year my dad has his equipment for the forestry job, so he can go back to that...

I am shareing this because my dad laid it all on the line to get this going, he lost alot of money last year but they still got by. This year where he has nearly everything he needs it should not be as bad.

Archived