Sending money to south america?

I want to send a friend of mine in Colombia a substantial amount of money (just shy of 1000eur). Now I don't have a credit card so I can't just use paypal or money wiring so I have a bit of a problem.

I thought of sending cash by fedex but their rate from dublin (where I am) to colombia (where she is) are very expensive. Another option I though of would be to send it by first class post which is more reasonable but the idea of sending that much cash in the mail just seems crazy to me.

I know this sounds iffy but I can asure you, this is nothing illegal at all. Does anyone know a good way of sending money without credit cards or online banking? Perhaps another courier service that is cheaper?

Thanks in advance.

I used Western Union last month and there is a way you can send money internationally. What I did was I got money out of my bank. Gave it to the person at Western Union, they gave me some forms to fill out. (Amount of money and name and address of the recipient and the person receiving the money had to enter or give the Western Union where they were located a code in order to get their money

There are independent financial institutions such as western union and many others alike where you don't need an account to wire money to someone in another country. You simply visit them, pay them the cash and they will wire the money directly to your friend (either to their bank account or a western union of their choice). I would never send hard cash to anyone over seas in a package. Not only is it expensive but the contents of each package are disclosed (by law they have to be) to the shipper including the driver and helper who delivers them. It would be all to tempting for that package to go missing at some point through the many people that handle it. Certainly, the package is insured but it could create some headaches for you, delays and lack of successful shipment. When I was younger I had friends who worked both FedEX and UPS and at times when they saw a package of great value ie phones, gps, computer, occasionally they admitted to swiping it. They topped it of by saying, oh no worries we'll never get got and it's not just us that do it they are insured anyways. Mind you this was when they were still punks just getting out of their teens but who's to say your package won't get handled by someone like that.

Archived