Can you have your employer proof read your resume/cover letter?!

I am applying to a position the career center at the university is offering to graduate students. I am in the process of preparing a cover letter and resume. Is it a good idea to have the career center proof read them?! It probably wont be the same exact person that will interview/hire me, but they will know what the position is that I am applying to.

I am applying to a position the career center at the university is offering to graduate students. I am in the process of preparing a cover letter and resume. Is it a good idea to have the career center proof read them?! It probably wont be the same exact person that will interview/hire me, but they will know what the position is that I am applying to.

Er... I wouldn't. That could be a huge conflict of interest. Being called on nepotism/favoritism in the hiring/selection process.

Uh, no, that's probably not a good idea. Does your university have a writing center that you can visit?

If you run out of options, I'm more than happy to look over the cover letter and resume for you--of course, with any personal info. removed first.

I have a BA in English Literature, a few years of editing experience, and I know a thing or two about "professional" writing; I admit, I'd probably be more help with your cover letter than your resume, but I'm more than happy to look at either.

Just let me know.

Oh, and if you don't wanna have some random online stranger reading your cover letter / resume, you could also just try asking a friend who you know has strong writing skills.

Archived