I have suffered with depression for years on and off. I've had some really serious episodes where I've been virtually unable to function. These really bed episodes are usually a result of taking drugs, weed and acid which I don't really do much of now.

Lately, I've been reading a bit about manic depression/Bipolar because my behaviour last year was totally nuts and completely out of character. The main thing I did was proposition two male friends very publicly, the whole town has found out about it and I had to end my ten year relationship because of it!The embarrassment is HUGEbecause it isn't something I would normally doand so many people know about it! I also felt really sexy all the time and at times felt like asking men in the street back to my place. I can't explain how out-of -character this is for me, but I felt much more confident than usual and like I could do anything.

I also had about six holidays, which I couldn't afford and got myself way into debt.

Thinking back on it, I have had one period of time where I also felt similar (Hypomanic?) and that manifested itself in massive spending sprees and running up huge debts on storecards. At that time I got quite heavily into drinking and was smoking lots of strong weed for the buzz, after this "up" episode I fell into a year long serious depression where I was almost catatonic at times.

I would like to hear from anyone with experience of Bipolar in themselves or family/friends. Does this sound like typical Bipolar symptoms? I'm reluctant to go to the doctor yet, I'm just curious to see what other people think.

PS I'm 28 now, but had first episode of depression aged 17.

I'VE BEEN THERE I'M 23 AND LIVED LIFE IN THEFAST LANE FROM THEAGE OF 9 TO THE AGE OF 14 WHEN I COPMPLETELY RAN AWAY FROM HOME I WAS PLACED IN MANY MENTALINSTITUITIONS FOR BEHAVIORAL PROBLEMS. I WAS DX'D AS MANIC DEPRESSIVE AND BIPOLAR NONE WERE TRUE I WAS JUST LOOKING FOR ATTENTION AND LOVE IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES AND RECEIVEING ATTENTION AND LOVE FROM ALL THE WRONG PLACES I USED COCAINE FOR A LONG TIME WEED I STILL USE AND USED LSD THOSE WERE MY ESCAPES I REALIZED I WAS FEELING SORRY FOR MY SELF I CAME FROM AN ABUSIVE HOME WAS IN GANGS NONE OF THAT EVER MADE ME BETTER YOU HAVE TO REALIZE THAT YOU ONLY HAVE ONE LIFE AND ONE CHANCE TO MAKE IT A GOOD ONE ONCE OPUR TIMES UP THATS IT. WERE ALL UNIQUE IN OUR OWN WAYS FIND AN OUT LET MINE IS POETRY AND MUSIC FIND SOMETHINGYOU REALLY ENJOY DOING AND WHEN YOURDEPRESSED OR FEELING AS IF YOU WANT TO GIVE UP DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY AND ELABORATE ON IT, IT COULD BE TENNIS JOIN A LEAGUE, IT COULD BE DANCE INSTEAD OF CLUBBING JOIN THEATRE OR A DANCE CLUB WE ARE BOTH YOUNG AND HAVE THE WORLD BY ITS BA..S DONT EVER DISCREDIT YOUR SELF OR LET LIFE PASSYOU BY BEING DEPRESSED YOU'LL BE OK

i agree ith little_unique_me . this site is for ppl to help you but even if there is a doctor here you need to see one in person to get diagnosed so you can get put on medication or what ever im clinicly depressed and bi polar if you really are you need help go see a therapyst or councelor because a regualar cant do much but recamend a councelor for you to see

lil_unique_me and dpressedone89, I don't believe UKgirl is asking for a diagnosis. She wants opinions and advice. There are a lot of people that really want to see if anyone else may be dealing with similar issues and this is the perfect place to find out.

UKgirl....There seems to be a manic side of you. You experience great highs but you didn't seem to express the extreme lows that are associated with being bi-polar. It's not a bad thing to look into counseling. Yet I feel they tend to slap negative labels on people that may be dealing with mild to situational depression.

One thing that can trigger this are the drugs you've been taking. Mainly acid!! Not a good idea to take a hallucinogen if you've been dealing with ANY mental issues. Same goes for the herbs too, unfortunately.

I would suggest for you to smoke weed in moderation and stay completely away from acid.

Look into counseling if you have it available and cut out the destructive habits.

• 3 weeks later...

UKgirl. Is there anyone in your family who's been diagnoses with bipolar? That could be a clearer indication that what you're going through is a psychiatric problem instead of just regular mood swings. I mean, we all do things that are really out of character, and I think you'll find that we all, to some degree or another, find it hard to control our impulses.

You're on the right track...it seems like you've done some research on bipolar and it seems like you are educating yourself about it. You're also reaching out to people for advice, that's good. Take control of your mental health, go see a doctor, but know everything you can. Medication can help, but no pill is a cure-all. There's a great book I suggest you read about depression and manic-depression. It's called "The Noon-day Demon" by Andrew Solomon. It's very helpful (and a good read, too!).

I also agree with everyone on this board that you Must Must Must stay away from drugs! They will only exacerbate the problem if you have one! While you're seeking out a doctor, take good care of yourself. Get exercize, it creates endorphins which will help depression. Do something nice, healthy and relaxing for yourself (warm bath, hike, conversation with a good friend, etc...) and eat well. All of that helps. But do see a doctor.

well i've stumbled accross this a little after the fact, but i'm going to say something anyway, mainly because i'm bored.

You have all the major symptoms of manic-depression (or bipolar)

the periods of depression combined with the periods of acting-out are really pretty obvious signs. like everyone's been so concerned about on here, this ain't no diagnosis. this is opinion with the tiniest bit of previous research.

i'm just going to concentrate on the manic part of this since depression is well-known and pretty much the same for both bipolar and depression.

the signs you've listed

1. feelings of invincibility, inflated self-esteem

2. unusual and extravagant sexual behaviour (increased libido, increased sexual activity blah blah blah you get the picture)

3. destructive behaviour, taking risks, poor judgement

a. DRUG ABUSE what some people on here don't seem to get is that drug abuse is a common symptom of bipolar disorder. in the end it makes it worse, as drugs influence hormones and just pretty much screw you up.

so i think yeah go to a doctor.

go to link removed there is a self test for bipolar disorder.

yes, you sound bipolar...but we are not doctors and cannot tell you for sure. it's ESSENTIAL that you tell your pdoc about your periods before your depression...tell him about ALL of your behaviors from increased need for sex to invincibility...to great ideas and plans. things that may seem minor to you may have huge significance to your diagnosis.

also, if you are bipolar, being on antidepressants alone can be very dangerous. they are known to cause mania in some people with bipolar disorder. mania isn't always fun and games...it can become psychotic and VERY dangerous...please talk to your pdoc and get on the proper meds.

take care,

andrea

~dx'd bipolar 5 years ago