Need new music!!!

Mr. Rosewater

I hope this is the right forum for this.

Anyway I'm a little burned out on my ipod selection and am looking for a little help from the enotalone comunity to point me in the direction of some new tunes. I'll give you a list of my favorite artists and if you could name a couple newer bands or individual musicians who are on par let me know.

Here it is:

Beck

Bob Dylan

Leonard Cohen

Peter Gabriel

Neil Young

Elliot Smith

Wilco

All right those are the top 7 I could think of. But I also like rap, classical and Jazz., Charlie Parker Miles Davis you know. For rap I used to love Ice-T, Tribe called Quest etc.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I mean who do you guys think is a true innovator these days. My vote would be for Beck. Is there anyone out there that is as dynamic and creative as someone like that but maybe in a different genre?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I think you would like Calexico. Feast of Wire is a good album. You seem to like singer/songwriter-y kind of stuff. For the classics in that genre, Joan Armatrading is great, her self-titled album is a really good one. Maybe some Cat Stevens. Ramblin' Jack Elliot is great. Anything by Peter Gabriel from the 1st album up until Security is brilliant (I see you have him listed, but I'm just telling you which albums are my faves, if you don't have them). As for newer stuff, try McCarthey Trenching, Eleni Mandell and Lisa Germano. Another new band I really like, which you may or may not, is Grand Archives.

Hmm, I could respond but it would be rather long

Ah, what the heck!

for Beck, try

Russell Simins

Cripples

Liz Phair

Gnarls Barkley

Beat Happening

Silver Jews

Dub Narcotic Sound System

Bob Dylan

The Rolling Stones

Eric Andersen

Ian Hunter

The Beatles

Paul Simon

Joe Hill

Freedy Johnston

Leonard Cohen

Bill Fay

Kris Kristofferson

Tom Waits

Chris Rea

Tim Hardin

Jackson Browne

A.A. Bondy

Peter Gabriel

Todd Rundgren

Roxy Music

Brian Eno

Chris Rea

Playing for Change

Phil Collins

Adrian Belew

Neil Young

Bruce Springsteen

Ian Hunter

Emmylou Harris

Eric Clapton

Judee Sill

Nicolette Larson

Elliott Smith

Pavement

Archer Prewitt

Joy

American Music Club

Yo La Tengo

Seldom

Iron & Wine

Wilco (one of my favorites!)

Decibully

The Bigger Lovers

NoahJohn

The Damnwells

Backyard Tire Fire

Matt Mays

Salim Nourallah

This should be more than enough I would think. Obviously you probably wouldn't like all the artists on there, those are just the artists that IMO sound most like what you listed, based on my limited music listening.

Hmm, I could respond but it would be rather long

Ah, what the heck!

for Beck, try

Russell Simins

Cripples

Liz Phair

Gnarls Barkley

Beat Happening

Silver Jews

Dub Narcotic Sound System

Bob Dylan

The Rolling Stones

Eric Andersen

Ian Hunter

The Beatles

Paul Simon

Joe Hill

Freedy Johnston

Leonard Cohen

Bill Fay

Kris Kristofferson

Tom Waits

Chris Rea

Tim Hardin

Jackson Browne

A.A. Bondy

Peter Gabriel

Todd Rundgren

Roxy Music

Brian Eno

Chris Rea

Playing for Change

Phil Collins

Adrian Belew

Neil Young

Bruce Springsteen

Ian Hunter

Emmylou Harris

Eric Clapton

Judee Sill

Nicolette Larson

Elliott Smith

Pavement

Archer Prewitt

Joy

American Music Club

Yo La Tengo

Seldom

Iron & Wine

Wilco (one of my favorites!)

Decibully

The Bigger Lovers

NoahJohn

The Damnwells

Backyard Tire Fire

Matt Mays

Salim Nourallah

This should be more than enough I would think. Obviously you probably wouldn't like all the artists on there, those are just the artists that IMO sound most like what you listed, based on my limited music listening.

Just noticed you were looking for some jazz too. I somehow seemed to gloss right over that. Silly me. Here's some goodies:

Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus and Max Roach - Money Jungle

Mad Finder - Hit the Grass

Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter - 1+1

John McLaughlin - The Promise

Fat Freddy's Drop - (not really jazz, but has a jazz/dub/soul flavor, all their stuff is good. Another really good new band in the dub/soul category is The Lions)

Medeski Martin and Wood - Combustication, Shack Man, End of the World Party, Radiolarians I, II & III

Sex Mob - Din of Inequity

John Coltrane - Coltrane's Sound, A Love Supreme, Ballads

El Michels Affair - Sounding Out The City

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage

Jazz Chillout - Blue Note compilation

Horace Silver - Song for My Father

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats (rock w/ heavy jazz leanings)

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (you probably have, but no jazz collection should be without, imo)

I tried to stick to mainly bop & middle of the road stuff here, any other types you like let me know and I can give you more.

Just noticed you were looking for some jazz too. I somehow seemed to gloss right over that. Silly me. Here's some goodies:

Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus and Max Roach - Money Jungle

Mad Finder - Hit the Grass

Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter - 1+1

John McLaughlin - The Promise

Fat Freddy's Drop - (not really jazz, but has a jazz/dub/soul flavor, all their stuff is good. Another really good new band in the dub/soul category is The Lions)

Medeski Martin and Wood - Combustication, Shack Man, End of the World Party, Radiolarians I, II & III

Sex Mob - Din of Inequity

John Coltrane - Coltrane's Sound, A Love Supreme, Ballads

El Michels Affair - Sounding Out The City

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage

Jazz Chillout - Blue Note compilation

Horace Silver - Song for My Father

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats (rock w/ heavy jazz leanings)

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (you probably have, but no jazz collection should be without, imo)

I tried to stick to mainly bop & middle of the road stuff here, any other types you like let me know and I can give you more.

I'll give you a list of my favorite artists and if you could name a couple newer bands or individual musicians who are on par let me know.

Here it is:

Beck

Bob Dylan

Leonard Cohen

Peter Gabriel

Neil Young

Elliot Smith

Wilco

Aw man, im gonna roll with the folk thing since I'm a modern folk junkie

Mama Wolf - Devendra Banhart (wild spirited guy, fun music)

This is an abstract video made by this girl, I think she's a famous model or something

Diane Cluck -I'm yr here I am (I've yet to hear a song from her that I didn't find powerful and amazing)

Joan Baez - East Virginia ( Took me a lonngg time to actually appreciate this girl, I found her voice too "uptight sounding" for a long time)

and I'm not THAT familiar with peter gabriel but If I'm able to relate him to sting, then I do. His music is SO elegant, sophisticated and sexy.

• Like 1

Regina Spektor - Samson "The bible didn't mention us" line always breaks my heart

David Grey - This Year's Love (his music generally spans from john mayerish stuff to very soft and sweet folk)

Someone mentioned Morphine, this is "The Night". amazing song (another abstract Bianca Smith vid)

"