For those of you who have Asperger's syndrome

I'm just curious about a couple of things (okay, it's more than a couple

First off, when were you diagnosed with AS?

How many other things were you diagnosed with before AS was suspected and then confirmed?

Do you consider yourself near a particular part of the spectrum? Are you more social than a lot of other people with AS, or much less so? Has having AS been a great obstacle for you or not so much?

What about your job or career, and where you are at in your life (do you live on your own or have you more or less remained with your parents, things like that)?

I'm just trying to get a general idea of other people's experiences with this "difference".

Also if you do not have AS but you know someone who does your opinions are welcome too.

I am no psychiatrist, but in my opinion, my best friend has pretty much all of the symptoms of low level spectrum AS. He's absolutely brilliant, has near photographic memory and insatiable appetite for music. He's the sweetest, kindest man I know. And he has suffered life long miserable depression because he feels like such an outcast for being so socially awkward and fearful of change.

He's been to a zillion therapists, on every anti-depressant known to man, none of it helped. I pray that someday he's actually diagnosed with AS and can get the help he needs. I'm hesitant to push him though, touchy subject and like I said, I'm no expert.

Were you recently diagnosed? Is there support out there? This guy is such a fabulous person, a person that most people never actually get to see because he has such a hard time communicating in a way that people consider socially acceptable.

Life is so unfair sometimes.

Well, I can't offer much insight at this point concerning my nephew, since he is only 8. He was diagnosed at about age four. He is very sweet, but he had problems with being made fun and was also held back a grade. He is becoming more social, but he does have paranoia when, say, people are laughing, automatically assuming it is directed at him. Or he will take laughter at what he is doing as a bad thing when it isn't. He reads very well, but definitely characteristically becomes obsessed and focused on particular things, thus becoming very knowledgeable about them--currently he can tell you anything and everything about any bird you want to know about.

He is very smart, but very serious. I think he will be okay as he gets older as long as he continues to develop socially.

My 14 year old son was diagnosed with AS several months ago but we have suspected it for about a year. He is able to have relationships and feel love within our family but is unsure how to have relationships outside of the family. He is also very smart. He decided he wanted to study the fourth dimension. This is outside of school and he read a couple of books. He tried to explain it to me and it went right over my head. He doesn't want to be a teenager or grow up, hates even small changes, gets obsessed with certain subjects, doesn't understand sarcasm, and very sensitive about what people say about him or his siblings. I think that this disorder doesn't have to be a bad thing. I think he can still have a good life.

I'm 30 years old and I was diagnosed only 3 years ago now. I always just thought I was unique. I'm very independent, highly intelligent with a collection of obsessive subjects. I don't get jealous, or needy, or possessive with other people.

I need my private time and I get overstimulated very easily. I see things that other people do not. I have a largely eidetic memory and I hold onto facts and figures and details quite easily. But if you ask me to describe an emotion or feeling, I have great difficulty.

Overall, I love being who I am. I think it's a beautiful gift. Between this and being gay, I'm assured of having a living experience most people would never have, and that appeals to me greatly to have a life less ordinary.

Were you recently diagnosed? Is there support out there? This guy is such a fabulous person, a person that most people never actually get to see because he has such a hard time communicating in a way that people consider socially acceptable.

Life is so unfair sometimes.

Yes, Trxy, it is. I have learned to be more social but it was a huge struggle. I will always need a lot of alone time.

I am 30 and was diagnosed nine months ago. Before that I was told I had ADD, bipolar disorder, and OCD. I always knew I was fundamentally different, and spent much of my life feeling like a freak. Once I received my diagnosis and learned a little more about AS I was finally able to start looking at it as more of a difference than a problem. And now I can say I'm proud of who I am.

Support IS out there. I found this site:

link removed

I wish your friend the best of luck. He is lucky to have you in his life.

Oh yeah, and we are both huge Jack Handey fan's too! Great signature!

Haha, thanks!

Well, I can't offer much insight at this point concerning my nephew, since he is only 8. He was diagnosed at about age four. He is very sweet, but he had problems with being made fun and was also held back a grade. He is becoming more social, but he does have paranoia when, say, people are laughing, automatically assuming it is directed at him. Or he will take laughter at what he is doing as a bad thing when it isn't. He reads very well, but definitely characteristically becomes obsessed and focused on particular things, thus becoming very knowledgeable about them--currently he can tell you anything and everything about any bird you want to know about.

He is very smart, but very serious. I think he will be okay as he gets older as long as he continues to develop socially.

He sounds a lot like I was when I was a child. I hope his peers learn to go easy on him. I was teased a lot for my odd behavior during my childhood and it was quite damaging. It's good that he is becoming more social. That is crucial. Thanks very much for your response.

I think that this disorder doesn't have to be a bad thing. I think he can still have a good life.

Absolutely! Thank you very much for your response. I wish your son the best.

I'm 30 years old and I was diagnosed only 3 years ago now. I always just thought I was unique. I'm very independent, highly intelligent with a collection of obsessive subjects. I don't get jealous, or needy, or possessive with other people.

I need my private time and I get overstimulated very easily. I see things that other people do not. I have a largely eidetic memory and I hold onto facts and figures and details quite easily. But if you ask me to describe an emotion or feeling, I have great difficulty.

Overall, I love being who I am. I think it's a beautiful gift. Between this and being gay, I'm assured of having a living experience most people would never have, and that appeals to me greatly to have a life less ordinary.

hexaemeron, that is wonderful. Good for you.

I also have an eidetic memory, and notice things no one else does. I like to spend much of my time by myself. I typically have to "recharge" after a social event. I have extreme difficulty describing my feelings when I am speaking to someone. I fare better when I write things down, but even that can be hard for me. Routine is very important to me and if any of my routines get disrupted I can get quite upset. This is something I have to work on. I also have many sensory issues.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

How many other things were you diagnosed with before AS was suspected and then confirmed?

just ear infections and strep throats

Do you consider yourself near a particular part of the spectrum?

I got all of the lack of social skills with none of the savants abilities, and its a shame because i really could use a better memory
Are you more social than a lot of other people with AS, or much less so?
Dunno haven't met many people with AS, thought it might mean something that i want to be more social
Has having AS been a great obstacle for you or not so much?

yeah it has

What about your job or career, and where you are at in your life (do you live on your own or have you more or less remained with your parents, things like that)?

I'm probably more dependent on my parents than a lot of people my age. Not much I could afford when i was unemployed for two years.

I'm just trying to get a general idea of other people's experiences with this "difference".

Also if you do not have AS but you know someone who does your opinions are welcome too.

• 3 months later...

Most of the people who are diagnosed with aspergers are very independent people. They like to spend time alone and don’t interact with others much. People with aspergers show repetitive behavioral patterns.

link removed

• 2 years later...

doctors are currently wonderig me having Asperger's

Do you consider yourself near a particular part of the spectrum? Are you more social than a lot of other people with AS, or much less so? Has having AS been a great obstacle for you or not so much?

Archived