After interview thank you

So I had a job interview on Tuesday and they said they would be making their decision by Friday. They seemed to like that I could start right away, but other than that the interview was pretty short.

I did the one mistake though - I forgot to send the follow up thank you.

How important is this when interviewing? I never seem to remember and I have gotten jobs without doing it, but in this day and age, how fatal of a mistake is this?

Fatal. But never too late. Whatever their rules are for hiring - break them! That's how you stand out. Do the unexpected. Show total enthusiasm. People hire 'attitude' more than any thing else. I'd go show up there with your letter in hand and ask to hand it personally to the decision maker! Go for it!!!

I've received post-interview thank you emails. It's faster than sending a card through the mail. I don't think I've ever received a thank you that had been dropped off.

At this point, either email them to reiterate your strong interest in the position and thank them again, or just let them make their decision without further input from you. I'd probably email them tonight.

Archived