How Much Water Should I Drink?

I am taking dietetics and nutrition in university. The healthy amount for any size is 64 oz a day. If you want to know how much that is..........those sport water bottles everyone carries around...thats 32 oz so drink 2 of those water bottles a day. It seems like a lot, but you don't even notice.

I am taking dietetics and nutrition in university. The healthy amount for any size is 64 oz a day.

In the course you're taking, is there any mention of what happens if we don't drink ANY water, at all? I never drink water, never have and probably never will, and the only thing I have during the day is maximum 3 cups of tea, lol. (My family tell me I must be a camel, LOL). I'm really curious to know if it's really bad to not drink a lot (of anything), as I have always been this way and I consider myself very healthy.

In the course you're taking, is there any mention of what happens if we don't drink ANY water, at all? I never drink water, never have and probably never will, and the only thing I have during the day is maximum 3 cups of tea, lol. (My family tell me I must be a camel, LOL). I'm really curious to know if it's really bad to not drink a lot (of anything), as I have always been this way and I consider myself very healthy.

Tea is water. And good for you. I would suggest a bit more though. Not drinking enough water can lead to problems.

I also heard that most things we eat and drink daily have some sort of amount of water in it. So I guess we're all safe one way or another, lol!

Lol, yeah I reckon I'm safe too. It's just that people always seem to be horrified that I don't drink ANY water and they make such a huge drama out of it, so I was curious as to what the big deal was, lol.

Yeah I asked my mum (shes a doctor) and she said the whole 8 cups a day of water is a myth. She said there is no real science behind it, just like the lemon detox diet really.

Exactly. They are saying now that six cups of water daily for the average individual will suffice, instead of the eight cups myth.

I go by the pee thing, honestly. And I got myself in the habit now to drink water with my meals, so it's all good.

First thing in the morning, I have water before coffee.

So long as you are eating fairly well (fresh fruits and veggies, even red meat has a lot of water in it) and drinking some fluids in the day, you'll be fine.

I have a friend like this. I was shocked. But then I noticed that he drinks other alternatives like tea and stuff, so I guess that's okay. The main reason I was worried is that he might develop diabetes or something.

To the OP, I can drink 4 tall glasses in one meal. I don't follow rules, I just love drinking water that's all. Haha! But I think 6 cups should be fine, as long as you're not dehydrated or something.

I think 6 glasses through out the day sounds pretty reasonable. In the past, i've also tried to follow the "half your weight in ounces" rule. So, for the case of 125 lbs, it would be 62.5 ounces of water each day. Right now, i don't really keep track of it, though..i tend to have 2 to 3 small (500ml) bottles of water a day.

I heard some stats that the majority of americans are perpetually dehydrated, so basically what we believe is enough water, is a false impression upon our minds.

For example, whenever i decide to get into shape, i almost ALWAYS puke the first time, after a few times of doing this i realized that it was because i never had anough water in my body, low and behold i drank alot more water, no longer got sick, feel better, sleep better, have a better metabolism. All after reading a pretty enlightening article on american water consumption of digg or something i cant really remember.

Drink when you're thirsty. This is obvious. Drink until you're no longer thirsty.

Drink when you're hungry. This is less obvious. Sometimes your body is actually asking for liquid, rather than calories. Drink a cup of water, let your body absorb a little of it, then decide if you're actually hungry or if you're thirsty. If you're hungry, eat. If you're thirsty, see point one.

Drink when you're tired. This is also less obvious. True dehydration can make you sleepy. I find that, if I haven't been drinking a lot/ have been exercising more, I'll get tired/ sleepy. A few cups of water helps. If you drink some water and are still tired, sleep. If you discover you're thirsty, see point one.

In terms of amounts... drink until you're satisfied.

Drinking enough also helps with your skin and complexion. Keeps your skin hydrated which is good.

Yeah, I hear that drinking enough water can help improve the look of your skin, nails, and hair. I think 6 cups a day in return of brilliant beauty seems like a pretty good damn deal to me.

Archived