Just a quick question...

if you were telling him or her things where it seemed that you were in imminent danger of hurting yourself, yes. they would have to call the police/EMT if you were in a real bad place. however without you being civilly committed (by a judge), you could always just leave.

It depends. If they feel you are in immediate danger then yes they have a duty to commit you for observation. But simply having those feelings and being ready to act on them are different. A trained psychiatrist/psychologist knows the difference and will try to figure that out with you.

Only if they believe you will do harm to yourself or to others. So if you say, i feel like killing myself...probably not. If you say, I feel like killing myself and today at 4pm i am taking my dads gun and i am going into my room to pull the trigger....probably.

I had a thread on it, it's called "A New Flesh", on the Self-Injury sub-forum, it's just about burning myself, but I've been thinking about other stuff for a long time, such as cutting myself, but not on "normal" places, mostly the face, just the face in this case. Of course these do not pose much of a death threat in comparison with other actions, but those I rather keep to myself for now.

I haven't planned anything, in the sense that I haven't devised a course of action, not even about how would I acquire the supplements. It's just a want. The thing that strikes me as odd is that I'm relatively calm when I think about it, maybe because I've been depressed for so long that I think this state, I'm in, is of emotional neutrality, wheras in other people might be some sort of functional depression.

Let me ask you what might seem a strange question. Given the choice, would you want to be able to self-harm without it causing any problems (such as lasting damage or social issues), or would you want to be free of the desire to do it?

uhmmm, it's weird because both options exonerate me, so I don't really have strong feelings towards either of them, in a sense they lead to the same result, peace of mind. Now, if we remove the impossibility of self-harm not causing me any social grievances, well I don't know what to say, logic would tell me that the latter is the way to go, but at this point any harm I do, would be done to my face and my body, and they mean nothing to me.

uhmmm, it's weird because both options exonerate me, so I don't really have strong feelings towards either of them, in a sense they lead to the same result, peace of mind. Now, if we remove the impossibility of self-harm not causing me any social grievances, well I don't know what to say, logic would tell me that the latter is the way to go, but at this point any harm I do, would be done to my face and my body, and they mean nothing to me.

If you're not bothered either way, and that's a perfectly understandable, what would you hope to achieve by consulting a psychiatrist? I'm not saying it's not a good idea; I'm sure it is, but I'm curious to know, if you don't see the end of self-harm as an obvious goal, what you would see as a good outcome.

To stop thinking vitriolic thoughts about me. I mean, most of the time I'm thinking that carving my face with a knife would be the best thing I've ever done in my life, and I know that's not normal. I'm not talking theoretically, I'd do it, I just need a trigger event that pushes me off the brink.

If these thoughts were being used in a more constructive manner I would be fine, but they have no outlet.

I apologise if this seem disjointed, I don't know how to explain it better.

Okay, that makes sense. The reason I was asking those questions is that self-harm is addictive, and I was trying to ascertain to what extent you're addicted. I've no doubt that a psychiatrist can help you at the moment, and you're in a position to be helped (which not all SIers are). I would add that only when you're free of SI will you fully see that being free of it is the best solution for you. Until then, it's going to have to be partly an act of faith, and partly cold logic based on your knowledge that it's not normal.

Okay, that makes sense. The reason I was asking those questions is that self-harm is addictive, and I was trying to ascertain to what extent you're addicted. I've no doubt that a psychiatrist can help you at the moment, and you're in a position to be helped (which not all SIers are). I would add that only when you're free of SI will you fully see that being free of it is the best solution for you. Until then, it's going to have to be partly an act of faith, and partly cold logic based on your knowledge that it's not normal.

Thanks for the concern, but I guess I should say that I've never cut, I've thought about it regularly since I was 13, but the only thing I've done is punch myself like an autistic child when I can't control myself, only in private, though.

Archived