Desire to burn my house down... has anyone felt this way?

kevinm

I'm so tired of finishing my house it's not even funny... I want to burn it down just so I don't have to work on it anymore, haha. It has indeed come a long way from where it was... it was in very poor shape when I first moved and and it's very comfortable now.

Anyway, it's not the work that has been done or the work that still needs to be done that bothers me about the house... it's really someone to share the experience with I can do all this work by myself, but man is it lonely. And while it's nice to make all the decisions about materials and colors and whatnot, I look around and realize how much of a man cave I have... lacking the feminine touch. How nice it would be to share all of this with someone...

-Kevin

I haven't wanted to burn my house down but I have felt frustration with a fixer upper and thought about the appeal of a 'move in ready' home, and have even looked at some.

But then I remember what our house was like when we first moved in, and how much blood, sweat, tears and cash we have put into it (new deck, new bathroom, finished hardwood floors, peeled layers of awful wallpaper and painted, new carpets, new ceilings....water tanks, pipes, you get the idea) and I remember that with each new accomplishment the house is more ours and more how we want it to be. It's definitely a work in progress.

If you wish to have a house that's not just a man cave perhaps you have female family members or friends who can add input? Or hire an interior decorator for some suggestions?

Renovating a house is a total life disruption that upsets and exhausts everyone who tries it.

When you hit the wall and don't want to do more, then it means you need to take a break for a while. Perhaps you need to take a couple of months off and go looking for someone to date! Spend a while socializing, and don't come back to do more on the house until you get your second wind.

I've renovated houses in stages because the thought of everything at once is just too overwhelming. Take pride in what you've done, and recognize that you WILL want to get back to it again once you've rested up. And maybe you'll have some female friends by then to help with the decorating etc.

btw, i once lived in a house for almost 2 years with a lot of my stuff still in moving boxes while renovating. I started thinking about just hauling it all off to a charity because i was so tired i didn't want to deal with it. But surprisingly, once i finally started unpacking, i rediscovered a lot of my things and became a whirling dervish of activity decorating the house and was surprised at my energy level. When you are done you will think it well worth it.

There is always a hard part in the middlle, so take a break and recharge your batteries. Also remember that all your fixup is adding a lot of value to the house, and it is like working a second job and making money. Renovated houses bring tens of thousands or even hundred thousands more $$$ when you sell them, so you don't see the money from your effects now, but you will then. Remind yourself of that, that your work will make you money and not just fix up your house.

Renovating a house is a total life disruption that upsets and exhausts everyone who tries it.

When you hit the wall and don't want to do more, then it means you need to take a break for a while. Perhaps you need to take a couple of months off and go looking for someone to date! Spend a while socializing, and don't come back to do more on the house until you get your second wind.

I've renovated houses in stages because the thought of everything at once is just too overwhelming. Take pride in what you've done, and recognize that you WILL want to get back to it again once you've rested up. And maybe you'll have some female friends by then to help with the decorating etc.

Ditto to this, we've been working on our house in stages for almost 7 years. Take a break when you need to!

Anyway, it's not the work that has been done or the work that still needs to be done that bothers me about the house... it's really someone to share the experience with I can do all this work by myself, but man is it lonely. And while it's nice to make all the decisions about materials and colors and whatnot, I look around and realize how much of a man cave I have... lacking the feminine touch. How nice it would be to share all of this with someone...

I hope you find her before all the work is done. I know what you mean, I was in charge of fixing up a house and my ex was living out of state. Its really hard. You want them to be there to share in the highs and lows and pick out paint colors and kissing your thumb when you just busted it for the third time that night.

I know that feeling you have and I hope that you find the right girl soon!

Thanks for all the support everyone I do take great satisfaction in the work I've done, but it's that "never ending" feeling that gets to me. I also realize there is a huge pride factor here... knowing I did it myself and that the job was done right. I have a huge problem paying people for things I know I can do, not because of the money, but because I want to do it by myself.

Beyond this, the whole sharing thing sucks. This feeling however, is not limited to working on my house. I would like to share my life with that right person, whether that be going to a movie, cuddling in the hammock, hiking in the woods, sex (obviously), cooking a good meal, traveling to Europe, etc, etc.

Well fellow ena folks... going back to work!!!

-Kevin

Archived