Song or Songs that remind you of your Ex!!!

my wedding song....by my side - Sade

and a slew of others.

i think of the song he heard on the radio and was crying to...when we had to say goodbye to each other before i went away to boston. it was ginuwine "differences". he said he loved me a month later.

i've never loved anyone like that in my life. i'm with someone new now and although i care about him deeply. it's not the same love i felt for my husband. i miss him everyday.

Put your hands up for Detroit....lol. We met at Uni and almost all our nights were spent in clubs dancing to this very popular number at that time.

Leaving on a jet plane....for some reason he used to sing it all the time. We had LDR after Uni...and after the break up, I came back alone from his city...knowing that I'll never see him again. Leaving on a jet plane indeed

• 1 year later...

Bumb

Mariah Carey - All I want for christmas is you

We spent 3 months on LDR in different countries and she came to me for christmas. This song was played everywhere all the time and I was so happy that we would finally see each other. I can still remember the feeling when I saw her at the station.

John Mayer - All we ever do is say goodbye

After first break up I listened this song every day for months. I just love it.

It may be easier to ask what songs DON'T remind me of my ex! I can hardly listen to the radio sometimes- it stinks!

Funny someone above me mentioned 'All I want for Christmas is you' by Mariah Carey- I remember telling him that was our Christmas song the Christmas before we got together, because that Christmas all I wanted was him- even posted it on his Myspace page at the time :sigh:

Must be doin somethin right- Billy Currington - That was one of our MANY songs. I can't listen to anything by Billy Currington actually and that really annoys me because he is one of my favorite artists! UGH!

Just a Dream- Nelly Remember driving around in his car fighting, and this song came on and we both cried

Evacuate the Dance Floor- Cascada- first song we danced to as a couple

Anything by Toby Keith or Trace Adkins- his favorite artists

Back to December- Taylor Swift- That song has SO much meaning for us. I think of how he told me he heard that song on the radio and he said he cried because he went back to December all the time (December was our anniversary month)

Come to think of it- pretty much ANYTHING by Taylor Swift makes me think of him

Come back Song- Darius Rucker

I could do this all day....

I just wish I could erase the memories associated with these songs- I love these songs and artists and I just wish I could listen to them again. It sucks.

Bruno Mars - just the way you are... i thought she was awesome.

Lady Antebellum - need you now... we were at walt Disney Fl when it played 5times and i just associated her with that being drunk

Rhett Miller - Hover - "i can't believe, that you're my lover"

Rhett Miller - Terrible Vision - before i told her i loved her when we started dating, i was driving through a tunnel and it came on. She was sleeping and I was telling her " you have terrible vision, if you can't see, how i'm in love with you"

Less than Jake - Nervous in the Alley "I swore a million times, never to be left again with these feelings of nervousness left standing just nervous in the alley" - swore of acting like a fool when i had a Bu with a different ex 5 years ago

Less than Jake - Let her go

Less than Jake - Great American SharpShooter - "its for the better your better half's gone. It's ok you didn't need her anyway. I dont want to hear you say noone can take her place"

Margot and the Nuclear so and so's - skeleton key - "i miss you less than less everyday, this stream of whiskey helps me wash it away, and it's clear to see, you're nothing special you're a skeleton key"

Different songs all hold dear memories for me for various exes, but here's a few and some particular lines that resonate....

Parabol/parabola -Tool

Song with no Name -The Pogues "so passionate were she and I, we made fire in the air"

The Ship Song- Nick Cave

A Ribbon- Devendra Banhart

The Old Kind of Summer- The Blackheart Procession "every sunset and every time it rains, every walk I take I count the steps further away from you, and if I should ever fall in love again, I will know that I am falling that much further from you"

Some Faraway Beach- Brian Eno

King of Carrot Flowers parts 1 & 2- Neutral Milk Hotel "as we would lay and learn what each others bodies were for...this is the room one afternoon I knew I could love you, and from above you how I sank into your soul, into that secret place where no-one dares to go"

Venus in Furs -The Velvet Underground - because you were kinky

Superstar -Sonic Youth -just because it's beautiful

Thankfully, I've "taken back" most of the songs that remind me of my ex (and our relationship).

The only song that I can't really listen to (yet) is The Heart Never Lies by McFly

I gave this song to my ex as a present for our 4th anniversary. It had been a pretty turbulent year that year but we had worked together to get through it. I felt the lyrics "Another year over and we're still together. It's not always easy, but I'm here forever" really spoke about our relationship.

I tried to revisit the song a few months back to try to "take it back". Couldn't do it yet. I still got emotional. Ha ha ha ha. I guess I'll wait a few more months before I try again.

• 3 weeks later...

Old thread but I keep trying to listen to the radio and find a song that doesn't remind me of him. And I can't. This particular song haunts me.

Bury all your secrets in my skin

Come away with innocence and leave me with my sins

The air around me still feels like a cage

And love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again [This rage still burns me]

So if you love me let me go [Don't reach out to me. It only makes it harder to move on, and I really have to].

And run away before I know

My heart is just too dark to care

I can't destroy what isn't there [i hope I've done well at killing our love. I messed up again like I always do]

Deliver me into my fate

If I'm alone I cannot hate

I don't deserve to have you

Ooh, my smile was taken long ago

If I can change I hope I never know

I still press your letters to my lips [i still read our conversations to catch a smile these days. I still look at your pictures and kiss them. Why am I doing this when it breaks my heart? I know the one kissing your lips now is her].

And cherish them in parts of me that savor every kiss

I couldn't face a life without your lights [The only time I manage to crack a laugh is the memories of us together]

But all of that was ripped apart when you refused to fight [i know I was the one that let you go, and I know I hurt you, but sometimes I wish you would have cared more, I wanted to make you hurt for all the times that you made me jealous]

So save your breath, I will not care [Just let me go, I don't want you in my life anymore. And I kind of do. What have you done to me?]

I think I made it very clear

You couldn't hate enough to love

Is that supposed to be enough?

I only wish you weren't my friend [i wish I had the courage to just let you go and not keep running back to you]

Then I could hurt you in the end [i wish I could just let you hurt and not care but the love inside me doesn't allow it]

I never claimed to be a saint [i know I've hurt you too. I know I made you cry even before I broke up with you. I know I've made you jealous. I wonder if you still care]

Ooh, my own was banished long ago

It took the death of hope to let you go [breaking up with you was the hardest thing I've had to do my whole life].

So break yourself against my stones

And spit your pity in my soul

You never needed any help

You sold me out to save yourself [This particular part is how you feel about me and I know it. You're just too good to admit it. I know you feel like I still talk to you because I feel sorry. And I do. I know the break up was selfish, baby. I know and I'm sorry. But wait, I'm glad you're hurting because you've made me hurt before too. Again, what have you done to me? I'm so confused].

And I won't listen to your shame

You ran away, you're all the same

Angels lie to keep control [Your angel lied, for my own sanity. And the saddest part is that you'll never know. That's the only thing that keeps me from moving on].

Ooh, my love was punished long ago

If you still care don't ever let me know

If you still care don't ever let me know [i hope you know I still care].

The parentheses are just the thoughts that come to mind when I think of him. I wish I could tell him that. Just needed to vent.

Jason M.- I'm yours --> I was in the waiting room by the dentist and I heard this song and I nearly walked away. (This song we always sung to each other in the beginning)

Loving you is easy cause your beautifull - Minnie Ripperton---> My girl always tried this song to sing herself (we loved karaoke) she sung this many times to me while at karaoke.

Deliver me - The Beloved ---> This was our first song, when we met online we always played this song.. She asked me once when we just fell in love, "Are you the one who can deliver me?"

Billy Joel - Lullabay ---> We allways ended with this song, talking online, or it was her bedtime or it was mine, lol.

p.s. it's good I can't hear these songs or I would walk away again....

"Nothin' on You" - Bruno Mars/B.O.B I told her this, and made her listen to the song when she would get upset when I would talk to other girls when we were really just "friends" still.

"Just the Way You Are" - Bruno Mars Probably like most guys, I told her this was about her. But, I felt this applied especially to her because I told her she was beautiful everyday, and how she would NEVER believe me. (She still doesn't... to my knowledge)

"I Like How You Love Me" - Michael Jackson I listened to this song on Christmas 2010, and I told her about it. We were so perfect during the month of December. It didn't matter what she did, I liked everything she did and loved it.

"Butterflies" - Michael Jackson The song is about how this girl he likes still gives him 'butterflies', even though she treats him like dirt. (Doesn't acknowledge his smile, not answer his calls, and keep him wondering why)

"Grenade" - Bruno Mars Probably the now classic break-up song, along with "Breakeven" by The Script. If you haven't heard this song, look up the lyrics. You'll understand.

Archived