Song or Songs that remind you of your Ex!!!

Although We're No Longer Togeth...
Although We're No Longer Together, I Still Love You

Oh man, sooo many.

ANYTHING by Aventura, especially "Solo por un beso" - the song that played for the first dance at our wedding.

While we were sitting waiting to meet the divorce lawyer for the first time last week (on the same couch in the same hotel lobby where we'd sat waiting for another lawyer to marry us

Many songs by Enrique Iglesias, especially Mentiroso and Heroe

Lots of reggae music we listened to, especially by Capleton and Gondwana

Oh man, sooo many.

ANYTHING by Aventura, especially "Solo por un beso" - the song that played for the first dance at our wedding.

While we were sitting waiting to meet the divorce lawyer for the first time last week (on the same couch in the same hotel lobby where we'd sat waiting for another lawyer to marry us

Many songs by Enrique Iglesias, especially Mentiroso and Heroe

Lots of reggae music we listened to, especially by Capleton and Gondwana

That is awful, i think the songs that remind us of them are played at the wrong time, when we are vunerable. Enrique sends me in to a quivering mess. As also snow patrol, kings of leon.

Steppin Out----Joe Jackson

How You Remind Me---Nickelback

Baby Love Child---Pizzacato 5

If I Aint Got You---Alicia Keyes (anything by her)

Space Age Love Song--A Flock of Sea Gulls

Emotions and Photons--Freezepop

Come Into My World---Kylie Minogue

Aint No Sunshine When She's Gone---Bill Withers

Beautiful One---Mary J. Blige

Anything by Outkast, 70s soul music, etc.

"Please Don't Go" by KWS.

The lyrics to this song, "Babe, I love you so, and I want you to know that I'm gonna miss your love the minute you walk out that door. Please don't go." --My ex used to say it to me all the time. He said he'd never go anywhere. Liar.

"Iris" by The Goo Goo Dolls

Pretty much anything and everything for me, especially if it is in the downtempo or reggae genre. I am trying to rediscover the musical base and love for other genres of music such as rock/indie that I seem to have lost touch with while together with my ex, as she was more of a 'beats' person, which I also (used to, it seems) love - hip hop, house, etc. Ever since our break up, I can't seem to enjoy many of these any longer. Music was such a HUGE part of our connection, mutual enjoyment, and time spent together, through going to shows or just sitting around together and listening. She burned TONS of CDs for me, all of which I had to throw out because they reminded me of her. I regret that a bit, and I'm sure I will even more so down the road. Not sure why I couldn't just put it in a box and be done with it, but the hurt was/is too severe. Especially since the guy she is seeing, and started to see immediately after our break up, works in the music industry and has swept her off of her feet in that regard. It really sucks.

How does one rediscover their own identity through such important things as music if it is so painfully associated with with your ex?

when i first left my husband, i couldn't listen to any of my music -- it was just too painful.

if i heard songs that reminded me of him, i dissolved into tears.

i always listen to music while i drive and for awhile i drove in silence but that was just as tough.

so, i went out and bought a cd by someone i never listened to before. i had no previous association with this music and i wasn't familiar with it. that cd stayed in my car stereo for the next three months -- i found it to comforting and it got me through the first horrible weeks. btw, the cd was sugarland's enjoy the ride.

that's what worked for me -- i hope that helps! take care of yourself.

I've been listening to my Ipod and I found a few more that remind me of L:

"Learning to Fly"---Pink Floyd and "Wake Me Up When September Ends"---Green Day. ALSO: Drops of Jupiter (Train)--reminds me of the break-up. I actually sent the lyrics to him the night of the break-up!

I can listen to most of these songs and only feel bittersweet now (since most of these were our favorites to listen to together in our earlier years) but the one song that KILLS ME IS:

"Good Riddance: I Hope You Had the Time of Your Life."--Green Day, especially:

"It's something unpredicatable but in the end it's right, I hope you had the time of your life." OUCH! I can't listen to that without crying and going back to square one...So I won't! I imagine my ex singing it to me!

Nobody listen to that song...especially if you're a dumpee and still love your ex and think he's a good guy. You will be crushed. I'm especially crushed by that song b/c my ex loved Green Day (and so did I). Green Day reminds him of his childhood friend and his old days as a camp director. It also reminds me of the summer we both worked at a camp (along with Wake Me Up When September Ends).

Title: Green Day - Time Of Your Life lyrics

Another turning point;

a fork stuck in the road.

Time grabs you by the wrist;

directs you where to go.

So make the best of this test

and don't ask why.

It's not a question

but a lesson learned in time.

It's something unpredictable

but in the end it's right.

I hope you had the time of your life.

So take the photographs

and still frames in your mind.

Hang it on a shelf

In good health and good time.

Tattoos of memories

and dead skin on trial.

For what it's worth,

it was worth all the while.

(music break)

Drops of Jupiter---Train

Dedicated to my ex fiance (L) and To all other exes who left because they wanted to "find themselves"

Now that shes back in the atmosphere

With drops of jupiter in her hair, hey, hey

She acts like summer and walks like rain

Reminds me that theres time to change, hey, hey

Since the return from her stay on the moon

She listens like spring and she talks like june, hey, hey

Tell me did you sail accross the sun

Did you make it to the milky way to see the lights all faded

And that heaven is overrated

Tell me, did you fall for a shooting star

One without a permanent scar

And did you miss me while you were looking at yourself out there

Now that shes back from that soul vacation

Tracing her way through the constellation, hey, hey

She checks out mozart while she does tae-bo

Reminds me that theres time to grow, hey, hey

Now that shes back in the atmosphere

Im afraid that she might think of me as plain ol jane

Told a story about a man who is too afraid to fly so he never did land

Tell me did the wind sweep you off your feet

Did you finally get the chance to dance along the light of day

And head back to the milky way

And tell me, did venus blow your mind

Was it everything you wanted to find

And did you miss me while you were looking for yourself out there

Can you imagine no love, pride, deep-fried chicken

Your best friend always sticking up for you even when I know youre wrong

Can you imagine no first dance, freeze dried romance five-hour phone

Conversation

The best soy latte that you ever had . . . and me

Tell me did the wind sweep you off your feet

Did you finally get the chance to dance along the light of day

And head back toward the milky way

Anything by Poison, but especially 'Talk Dirty to Me' as it was her favourite. Ditto 'Runaway' by Bon Jovi. Also, anything by Alice Cooper and 'Here I Go Again' by Whitesnake. It's funny, she couldn't stand to hear that song after we broke up and I could never understand why, but now I do perfectly:

"Here I go again on my own, going down the only road I've ever known...like a drifter I was born to walk alone."

I've experienced this after a couple of breakups too.

For me, and this gets me good because I adore music, its always their favorite artists. Any band we've seen together, albums we shared, songs we sang to etc. etc....

Really emotive.

ie

Steriophonics

Kings of Leon

and others..

I try and get away from these songs while I'm hurting as best I can.

Tarantula, Blood Sugar and Hold Your Colour by Pendulum

but they're MY favourite songs too, so I'm not going to give them up forever...just till I'm fully over him.

Pendulum should always have you going crazy anyway, no time to think of the ex

Pretty much any song with meaningful lyrics reminds me of her to some extent, but often I like it, it's cathartic. If I'm having one of those days I like to start with something quite melancholy, then something angry, then wind down with some chill. Seems to purge the feelings efficiently!

But really there are whole albums I can't listen to anymore, bands even. Bands I introduced her to, or she introduced me to, that we went to see together. CDs she bought for me. Can't touch them!

Pendulum should always have you going crazy anyway, no time to think of the ex

Pretty much any song with meaningful lyrics reminds me of her to some extent, but often I like it, it's cathartic. If I'm having one of those days I like to start with something quite melancholy, then something angry, then wind down with some chill. Seems to purge the feelings efficiently!

But really there are whole albums I can't listen to anymore, bands even. Bands I introduced her to, or she introduced me to, that we went to see together. CDs she bought for me. Can't touch them!

it sucks doesn't it!! not being able to listen to music you love because it causes too much pain..blah we shouldn't let them get to us but they do anyway

Archived