POLL: MEN, do you open car doors for ladies?

candykisses

I am interested in the prevalence and meaning of chivalry in modern society...specifically in the act of opening CAR doors

Guys, do you engage in this gesture? (when you're with a female, opening the car door for her so she can get in).

If you do, do you do it for ALL females, or do you do it more with girls you have an interest in?

Ladies, are you comfortable with this gesture? Or would you rather open your own door?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you say you do it when you're focused on making a good impression on a select girl?

Haha I find this kind of stuff interesting. I have male friends who consistently open the car door for me as if they were brought up that way. I always just say "thank you" nonchalantly as if people open my car door for me all the time lol, even though I actually feel a little awkward inside, like I'm handicapped...

I also have male friends whom act like it's never occurred to them to open it.

I just got home from hanging out with a male acquaintance who opened all my doors for me tonight. And once again it peaked my interest... what can I say, I love boys with good manners

Would you say you do it when you're focused on making a good impression on a select girl?

Of course.

Haha I find this kind of stuff interesting. I have male friends who consistently open the car door for me as if they were brought up that way. I always just say "thank you" nonchalantly as if people open my car door for me all the time lol, even though I actually feel a little awkward inside, like I'm handicapped...

I also have male friends whom act like it's never occurred to them to open it.

I just got home from hanging out with a male acquaintance who opened all my doors for me tonight. And once again it peaked my interest... what can I say, I love boys with good manners

It really is just a part of life. It is as simple as you make it for yourself at this point. You seem confused and it is just hurting you.

Frankly, times really have changed. The fact that your door is being opened everyday seems quite odd but good. Maybe you need figure out the deal. Are they marine core, army, air force, etc? Times really have changed but so what if you are being treated like a queen.

Always. Opening doors and having general respect for women. I even lay my coat in a puddle for ladies.

Sometimes I will get a mouthful saying "I can do it myself" etc.

I wouldn't feel offended by it, its a sign of respect.

You can't be serious. It's not a sign of respect, it's a sign you think they're helpless and can't take care of themselves, so you have to act like some hero to protect them.

Always. Opening doors and having general respect for women. I even lay my coat in a puddle for ladies.

Sometimes I will get a mouthful saying "I can do it myself" etc.

I wouldn't feel offended by it, its a sign of respect.

I love it. Damn strait you will get a mouthful at some point. It is all perception.

You can't be serious. It's not a sign of respect, it's a sign you think they're helpless and can't take care of themselves, so you have to act like some hero to protect them.

No, I don't think they're helpless. That's how you want to take things then do so. But at the end of the day its a nice gesture.

Besides, you'd have to truly be a cretin if you thought women were helpless.

Chivalry isn't dead just yet.

I open doors but not car doors. I saw a woman at work..in the rain trying to lift a huge box.I ran over gently edged in front and carried it to her office for her.

I am not a sexist but this woman and most guys could not lift it.

For me...I acknowledged this woman and my male good upbringing to go over and help. I knew this person btw.

I feel there is a terrible lack of manliness in todays society. I think its refreshing and gives a sense of value to the woman....as a gentleman as a man who cares with humility

I like it, personally. Although I don't like it when the guy slams the door of the car 5 times as hard as necessary - it's not good for the car, and it hurts my ears.

Good manners in general seem to have disappeared in guys around here. I put it down to upbringing. It was the absolute worst I've ever seen when I lived in the Bay Area. I couldn't wait to leave.

Only if they are disabled.

this made me LOL out loud.

i like good manners in general coming from both sexes... but it's not like i really notice these kind of things. mainly because i take it for granted and so the absence of it will rub me the wrong way - but i won't know why. i don't think i've had a guy open car doors for me though... or maybe they have and i didn't pay attention. now that i think about it, it's a little awkward.

Wy is it awkward? I've had guys open doors for me my whole life. Even when I am driving myself, guys will come and open my door, and hold it for me until I'm inside. Maybe because I associate a lot with guys in their 40s or older? They seem polite and respectful for the most part (and many are ex-military, which I find to be a big plus)

Does a guy opening a door actually build legitimate interest though, flatter and interest are two very different things.

For me, lack of good manners will detract from interest in a guy. It would add if I was on the fence about a guy.

I don't do the car door thing regularly, although maybe I should! My rule of thumb is that if we're going someplace nice enough that my wife has the whole skirt + vain shoes that look okay but are impossible to walk in ensemble, then I open the car door.

I try to be chivalrous....maybe this one needs to be added back into the repertoire....

Wy is it awkward? I've had guys open doors for me my whole life. Even when I am driving myself, guys will come and open my door, and hold it for me until I'm inside. Maybe because I associate a lot with guys in their 40s or older? They seem polite and respectful for the most part (and many are ex-military, which I find to be a big plus)

because it's just too out of the way. normal doors, yes, good points... but it doesn't really matter. car doors, he has to go over to mine, open it, wait for me to get in, close it then run to the other side.

it's just unnecessary. i like polite people, but i don't need them to be excessively so. i like things like, if it's raining or if my shoes are impossible to walk in - which they are a lot of the time - he will let me wait and bring the car over. things like that matter more and actually makes sense.

opening car doors just don't make sense to me... so it's kind of awkward..

respect come in a lot of forms. i prefer it when a guy treats me as an equal, like a buddy but still like a girl.

because it's just too out of the way. normal doors, yes, good points... but it doesn't really matter. car doors, he has to go over to mine, open it, wait for me to get in, close it then run to the other side.

it's just unnecessary. i like polite people, but i don't need them to be excessively so. i like things like, if it's raining or if my shoes are impossible to walk in - which they are a lot of the time - he will let me wait and bring the car over. things like that matter more and actually makes sense.

opening car doors just don't make sense to me... so it's kind of awkward..

respect come in a lot of forms. i prefer it when a guy treats me as an equal, like a buddy but still like a girl.

I can go out for a group lunch with coworkers, and inevitably, a guy will walk me to my car, hold the door for me until I get in, say goodbye, and close the door after I've tucked myself in. I find that very polite and respectful and it makes me feel good. I also like the fact that they will walk accross the parking lot to make sure I am safely to my car. It's nice to know people care, even if they don't have to (I live in a pretty safe part of town)

My ex used to do it for me, I love chilvalry in a man so I really liked the gesture. He was older though, I don't know if it has anything to do with age, but I think it's more common in the older men to do this. My current boyfriend doesn't do this, I don't mind...although I'd still think it'd be really nice if he did. I agree with dragon lady, even though I can open my own car door, it's not about that...it's about those nice, chivalrous gestures that women like to receive.

Archived