I just broke up with my g/f of about a year and a half. I'm still hoping we'll get back together, but it's probably not going to happen. We're still trying to be friends and I'm just analyzing what she said about why she wasn't happy with our relationship. I think it basically came down to two things: I was her first serious boyfriend, and we were in our first year in college so she was feeling smothered by me. I think she felt like I was preventing her from meeting new people. The night we broke up, she also said I didn't know her, and all I paid attention to was the superficial stuff. About a week or so before we broke up, I tried backing off so she would be more comfortable. She says it helped, but not enough.

My real problem is that she told me I didn't really try to get to know her. That after a year and a half I still couldn't make her happy. The bad part is this might be true. I'm an only child and I've always had trouble seeing the important stuff. There have always been instances I've insulted people somehow by doing something I thought was fine. One time senior year I went around thanking people who gave me credit for editing a film I was a part of. It turns out my g/f's brother had spent hours editing it. It was pretty mean of me to take the credit for everything, but I figured I shot the movie, I wrote it, I did some of the editing, I can be proud of it. I know now it was mean of me to ignore him like that, but I just didn't know. A lot of that stuff just passes me by while I'm in my own little world. I'm pretty sure that's why my g/f was so unhappy. Whenever I was happy, I was in my own world and she was just playing along. I don't know what I can to to help this, maybe just saying it will help. Thanks for your time to anyone who read this.