Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

I want to get away, what do you all think?

Imissher

Hi everyone..

I've had a lot of stress and troubles in my life and I feel like I just want to get away. A fresh start.

I have family in America, Germany, Austria, Brazil, Chile.

I was thinking of up and moving, as soon as I can. My family in Germany and Brazil have told me I am welcome anytime. If not there or any country that I have family in, I was debating China. I have several good friends there, but the culture is so much different.

If I stay in America, I want to go back home. Portland, Oregon. I feel maybe it is right to leave the entire country at least for a year or two. Any suggestions, thoughts, opinions?

I've done this. It only works if you are going TO something, not AWAY from something. Wherever you go, ensure that something great is waiting for you - a job, a hobby, an adventure, something besides just a change of location. Otherwise the mind is only temporarily distracted and it all comes right back.

Very cool stuff. you are a lucky person to have that op. I think as long as you realize its impact on you life and the pros and cons of it all its a great chance for you that others (jealous ones tehe like me) dont have. I think seeing patagonia is the most beautiful thing. that i want to do yet. so i have much bias to Chile. but anything you do. good luck. you got a friend in wisconsin if that sounds exciting ... eh? snow and cows eh?

"I've done this. It only works if you are going TO something, not AWAY from something. Wherever you go, ensure that something great is waiting for you - a job, a hobby, an adventure, something besides just a change of location. Otherwise the mind is only temporarily distracted and it all comes right back."

sounds like great advice!

I have a job lined up working at the brewery with my uncle in Germany, or my family in Austria.

So far I do not have work in China, Brazil, Chile. Is there a reason for your bias against Chile? My brother you always have the option to go. You must do what makes you happy in life.

I'm not really sure what I want in life, but I feel like I want to start fresh for a while.

I have a job lined up working at the brewery with my uncle in Germany, or my family in Austria.

So far I do not have work in China, Brazil, Chile. Is there a reason for your bias against Chile? My brother you always have the option to go. You must do what makes you happy in life.

I'm not really sure what I want in life, but I feel like I want to start fresh for a while.

yeh patagonia mnts is my key to bias. but i like the german stuff too as thats where my family is from.

i know i have the op to go but i dont have family there or id at least take a trip.

maybe do that test the waters and take a trip.

There are various projects around the world that need educated people and people with practical skills to help get local communities back on track with better facilities.

I know someone who spent 6 months in Chile helping to build a church for the community.

You need to have money in the bank as you wouldn't be doing it for the salary. Of course it is volunteer work, but would be extremely rewarding and you would make friends for life.

Teaching english is another popular option.

There are a lot of good websites e.g. VSO (voluntary services overseas) if you are thinking of spending 2yrs abroad, this might be worth taking a look at.

Archived