What would you do?

Sn0man

Howdy folks! I came into work today a bit hung over, so I was in a grumpy mood as it was, not to mention I had gotten a call from a client saying that my employees had left quite a mess on the last project we were working on, which I had to clean up for them. They know better than to do something like that and so I was a tad pissy about that too.

I'm also on holidays so having to come into work at all makes me even more grumpy.

Yesterday was payday for everyone, and I included christmas bonus cheques with their paycheques. Today though, one of my employees gets all stormy after I leave (had given them a bit of crap about the last job-which was probably more than a bit of crap because of said mood) and storms off. Just like that he quits. Right after payday, right after I give him a bonus.

So I wrote him a final paycheque and got him his ROE within 2 hours, and put a stop payment on his bonus.

I feel a little bad about that, but why should I pay him a bonus when he just quits right after he gets it?

Was that a bad thing to do?

i would consider his Xmas bonus to reflect his work performance throughout the year..if you feel he was not deserving of this I would expect him not to have received it in the first place. On the other hand he has shown no consideration in giving notice of his intentions to leave your workplace... perhaps a compromise can be reached here.. I would bite the bullet on the bonus if I were you or perhaps re negotiate the amount with him...

I suppose I should add that he hadn't been with us for very long - only a little over three months. And it wasn't a huge bonus cheque either.

As for the issue of legality, I hadn't considered that. Though I don't think it would be.

That would suck.

It was more of a gift. A straight sum of cash right from my personal account. Not taxed or anything else. I think that would be considered a gift, legally.

I'd pay him if I had to, but I wouldn't be happy about it. His quitting right after I gave it to him was kind of insulting, no matter how crappy a mood I was in. I'm the boss, i'm supposed to be grouchy lol!

yep Bite the bullet....Or as I said before give him the bonus equivalent to working only one quarter of the year so divide it by 4 and give him that much as opposed to a full years bonus....I think 2 upset men egos have come into play here.. So the real man needs to be accountable to resolve this and thats you BOSS ....good luck with it dont let your anger and disappointment drive your decisions.. your the leader here....set an example..

I think 2 upset men egos have come into play here....

You're probably right about that. I shouldn't have been so quick to act.

give him the bonus equivalent to working only one quarter of the year so divide it by 4 and give him that much as opposed to a full years bonus....

Now THAT I like *evil grin*

+1

Archived