"We should talk" - I forgot, what's the best reply?

stella74

Oh, okay...I get it now. LOL You're right. But the only time I wouldn't reply at all is if I definitely wasn't interested or only liked the person as a friend and didn't want him to get the idea I wanted to date.

In any case, I think both of the men in my experiment had plenty of time to let me know they were interested in asking me out in order to see me and talk to me. I think I should keep trying this out, though. I'll keep putting the ball back in the man's court and see what happens.

DBR, in your opinion, would you be more likely to call a woman if she emailed you that she'd like to see you/talk to you but didn't give you her phone number or if she offered her number to you? In the first instance, you'd have to ask for her number.

Okay, I understand ... except for the "some degree" part. LOL Maybe that's the problem you're having.

I guess this is similar to a man having to wait to hear back from the woman after he's emailed her or called and left a message. In my case, I replied within 24 hours. I keep thinking either I'm being overeager or I'm not showing enough interest. But most likely, if a man isn't responding to me in a reasonable time it means he's not interested. That's what I'd tell someone else, man or woman, in my situation. I'm trying to figure out the reasonable time to wait. I don't play games and don't like it when men play games. I think it's important to show some emotional detachment in the early stages of dating as well as enthusiasm, so it can be difficult to find the right balance.

Yeah people play games with "length of time" to reply.. I do it sometimes so as not to come accross overeager.. I find the guy usually matches my waiting time.. If I'm quick, they're quick, if I cool off, they do..

The thing is they should both reply, you have shown interest... perhaps with guy 1 giving your number would have shown more interest, but either way they should at least take the chance and email back and ask you out. I say wait it out a bit longer... and then reassess next week if there's still no reply.

Ammy

^ I can't very well do that via email, though. LOL

The thing is they should both reply, you have shown interest... perhaps with guy 1 giving your number would have shown more interest, but either way they should at least take the chance and email back and ask you out. I say wait it out a bit longer... and then reassess next week if there's still no reply.

Sounds good Ammy. Thanks! I'll wait it out. I tried to rep you too, but I've gotta spread it around first.

Okay, I understand ... except for the "some degree" part. LOL Maybe that's the problem you're having.

I keep thinking either I'm being overeager or I'm not showing enough interest. But most likely, if a man isn't responding to me in a reasonable time it means he's not interested. That's what I'd tell someone else, man or woman, in my situation. I'm trying to figure out the reasonable time to wait. I don't play games and don't like it when men play games. I think it's important to show some emotional detachment in the early stages of dating as well as enthusiasm, so it can be difficult to find the right balance.

That's right on, Stella. I'm in a similar situation. I've been out with this guy twice, I really like him, but his out-of-state work has prevented us from getting together for a while, although he's shown interest enough to ask me out the two previous times. So, he gets back in town this time and doesn't email immediately. I, fool that I am, make the mistake of emailing him to suggest an outing. He says he may be free Sunday, and again, foolish me, I take him up on it (by email, as I live with a relative and we haven't communicated by telephone at all). Then, having no response by midday today (Sat.), I email again saying I was perhaps too hasty and that he didn't even know he'd be free. So, I give other possibilities in my busy schedule for the coming week. He replies, saying "sure, it's fine to cancel Sunday" (even though I clearly indicated I was open for Sunday but would postpone if he couldn't make it!). He replies, suggesting we communicate in a day or two (note he doesn't say "I'll call you"). Then mentions that Friday, one of the days I gave as free in my schedule, sounds good.

I've decided to try your "right balance" approach, Stella. I simply replied, "Sounds good. Have a nice night," followed by my signature. If he doesn't contact me, I won't contact him again.

Do folks think I did the right thing?

Sorry I didn't see this post, since it was your first! I've been busy and away from ENA. Anyway, never heard back from either man, so I can't say whether my approach works or not. But I do think it helps to have the "right balance" of showing enthusiasm and interest but also staying detached and putting the ball back in the man's court so he can take the initiative in calling. If you're still having a problem with this, you can start a new thread. Good luck.

stella- i think this shows that a lot of what happens when we date has sometimes little to do with what we choose to do... a lot of what happens is out of our hands-- they may just not really feel us or have someone else they are more interested in. we can't blame ourselves that if we did this or that maybe it would have turned out differently! you tried both possibilities after all...

Can I get some feedback on this?

I received an email from Man #2 (with my phone number). To refresh your memory or in case you don't feel like reading the entire thread...He'd emailed that it would be great to see me and that he'd see me soon after he returned from his trip on Oct. 28th. I had replied "Yes, it would be great to see you" and gave him my number. I didn't hear back from him until today.

He said he just realized we haven't seen each other yet and he said it would be great to see me. He didn't ask me out, though. Instead, he asked me if I'd come to see him give a presentation tomorrow night. I already had plans and I felt a bit odd about it. I didn't understand why he was asking me on a Friday to come see him on a Sat. night or why he waited almost a month to contact me. And I didn't understand why he didn't ask to see me one-on-one. The more I thought about it, I decided he just wasn't interested in dating me and maybe I had misread him to begin with. He didn't even call me. He emailed.

So I replied that I had plans and wished him luck with his presentation. Tonight I got an email from him saying "Oh what a pity to miss you! Hope everything is going well!"

My gut feeling is to just stop communicating with him. But I'd like to know what others think first. Thanks.

Hey Stella,

The rational me agrees with you and thinks he should have tried harder. I would advise you to forget about him. If he bothers to email / call / text in the future think about it at that point.

The emotional me - if I were in the situation - would probably force the issue further and end up feeling more let down by the guy... LOL... NEVER listen to the emotional side of me, it always gets me into trouble.

So to sum up, I think you made the right decision and I would forget about it and move on to better, he sounds a bit of a flake!

Ammy

yeah, I agree with Ammy-- that's never a good sign. And really it's pretty lame of him. Ugh. yeah, you did the right thing by declining... saves you later on. He is not all that interested because if he were he would definitely have remembered in advance. I've made that mistake in the past-going out at the last minute- never a good idea....

It's not easy stella... I think maybe you know... if you are dating lots of people... but for me I don't find that many people I'm interested in... so... it sucks when I am interested in getting to know someone, but the feeling isn't mutual... but it's also a relief when we just let go of the ... what's the word? responsibility? just knowing it's not necessarily about if we "played the game right"... but it's about something that's often not at all in our hands... best of luck... i know you'll find someone good for you!!

Archived