How do I improve my posture ?

I've never had particularly good posture. Now that I'm getting a bit older (40), I'm noticing that more and more. I tend to walk slightly slumped over, with my shoulders curved in-wards. Whenever I make a conscious effort to improve, it looks unnatural, like I'm straining myself.

Does anybody have any pointers on how to walk with better posture? I know in general it's things like head up, shoulders back, back straight, but is there a mental picture I can envision to help? Something along the lines of, for example, imagine a piece of string tied to somewhere, pulling in such and such a direction?

Either that, or a good site on the net showing do's and dont's would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Ash,

I used to have a similar problem in having my shoulders "hunched over" I actually asked my doctor about this once. He said you have to make a conscious effort at first to "pull your shoulders back, slightly tuck in the tummy and walk on the palm of your feet" (not your heels) Now I told him too that "It feels un-natural doc.." but once you get used to it(like I have) you'll get used to it without realizing it once it kicks into your sub conscious.. You'll notice that when your shoulders are stooped that your stomach hangs out a little more too but when you pull your shoulders back it brings in your stomach somewhat. Give it a go... 8) P.S. Did you pull the name "Ash" from the Evil Dead movies? Or is it just your name?

Hmm, I've been told a good way to position yourself is to "straighten your back so that your rib cage sits on the spine." What that means is when you slouch, your spine is curved the wrong way, you're curving it forward when the "correct" curvature is back. It does everything the post above mentioned, it pulls the shoulders back, puts the chest out, as well as get straighten the neck. The body pretty much aligns itself on its own when you do that.

Hey, Ash!

In side-response to Johnny_has:

"Good guy, bad guy... I'm the guy with the gun". I loved that comment .

Anywho.. You know it's not too late to pick up a martial art. I've practiced Hung Gar myself and it gives you a great and strong posture. One exercise that you could try to do is to stand as if though you would be sitting on a really fat horse. Your toes point straight forward and you just in such a position that you could possibly put a rice-bowl on top of your thigh without spilling it. Sit like that, but Remember the most important thing. Keep your back straight and extend your arms forwards. As long as you've got that "hockey-crouch"-thingie, in the lower back/above the butt, you're doing it right. Do this three or four time a day for a couple of minutes. It is a really hard position to stand in if you're doing it correctly so don't feel bad if you can't stand in it for very long.

However, after some time doing this, you'll feel how you get stronger back muscels, shoulder muscels, thigh/leg muscles and neck muscles. Those are very important to gain strength in seeing as how they carry the weight of You. If they're too weak, another point will be weighted and thus you end up with a bad posture. I hope I could help some, I know it's hard taking instructions through text specifically. (it's even quite hard to do with the sifu's next to you =P). But try it, if you like it, I'm sure it will help you. And once again, you're never too late to pick it up. Hung Gar is mainly a no-nonsense, break-joints, disable as fast as possible style. You don't need a lot of agility =P

Good luck!

I also had bad posture, I think I still do, but its not so bad any more. They make these shoulder brace type things that hold your shoulders in their correct posture, so that you don't slump over. You can wear it under clothes & stuff. That way, you won't have to think about how you are walking. I have seen some for about $20, but I don't know what that means to you.

Great, thanks. Good stuff so far.

A follow on question. Right now, doing these things takes a marked conscious effort, and can be a bit tiring. Does this ease as it becomes more second nature, or do people with good posture have to constantly think about it too? Most others seem to be very natural in the way they are, as if no effort is being expended.

I suppose as in every other thing in life, everybody's different.

I think that once you start doing these things to improve your posture, one day you won't even have to think about it. just like any thing that you do. It could take time though. Changing habits is hard to do & it takes time & effort. Don't get disscouraged if in a couple weeks, you still need to think about what you are doing. You will get there if you really try.

It deffinately becomes better with time. I have good posture and mostly don't have to think about it. Sometimes during certain activities I may slump, but it usually tires me and becomes uncomfortable.

The main reason its so hard for you is because you are training muscles that haven't been fully developed. Once they are good and strong they will hold your back naturally and it will not be such a strain.

I would also do some good back stretching at least once a day. When you have a 5-10 minutes of quiet time lay on the floor, be quiet and stretch out all your back. Listen to your body. You may want a couple of small pillows for underneath your lower back, knees and head (smaller pillows are better). You can also stretch out your lower back by raising one bent leg at a time to your chest and pulling it in. Doing some good stretching will help release some of the tension that has built up over the years from your bad posture and will help you become more aware and intune with that part of your body.

Good luck! and remember you are not alone!

Hey again, Ash.

Yub, it's just like you said. All people are different, some are born thin, others fat - some strong and some weak. While strong people do not have to work out much to have a good basic strength, weak people need to work hard and maintain that strength.

Muscles vanish quickly whether you are weak or strong, this is something that I've noticed under these past weeks after surgery. I need to work hard to regain what I've lost.. And just like most others, you need to maintain those muscles necessary for you to be able to have a good posture (neck, arms, shoulders, back etc).

And regarding that exercise that I mentioned:

Same goes there. You'll get more and more used to it (mind you the chinese people who helped to develop and practice this Kung Fu style could stand in that horse-position for hours on a rocking ship deck. It is a basic stance for Hung Gar as the style was developed in southern China were muddy roads and whatnot were common. A strong and sturdy stance was needed =). Even some of the strongest people find it difficult to stand for more than five minutes, so don't worry if you can't do it right away! And I forgot to mention earlier that it is good to stand with the feet shoulder-broad (so that your shoulders could pass between the feet without touching them), and also that it is alright to start up in a higher position than 90degrees. 90Degrees is the final position though so once you've managed to sit in that one for a minute, everything's downhill =). And don't let this frighten you, it's very healthy but it sounds like a real pain. The best way to teach your muscles to respond is by doing it whenever you get the chance. When you're watching TV; try to sit as long in this position as you can everytime the commercial is on and etc =)

Hope this works for you, it worked for me

Thanks to everybody for the replies. I've started to try to take some of the advice and start walking and sitting better. First thing I had to do was adjust my office chair to cause me to sit with better posture. I had it set more for comfort, and was slouching quite badly in it. Now it's providing the proper lower back support instead.

I did hunt around and found this web site that seems pretty good:

link removed

Johnny: Hey, anything to give me a flatter looking stomach is great. It does feel wrong at first, but even after some time today, I was getting more used to it.

Frodo: Yes, visualizing the shape of my spine helps. So did imagining what should be supporting my rib cage.

Akatoro: I'll give your exercise a whirl. Sounds good for some lower body strength too, which is also good, especially considering I play quite a bit of volleyball.

Enadevoli: I took a look at one of those braces. It's a possibility as I think I might need the constant reminder, if nothing else!

MollyElise: I did get told to do the leg bending exercise by my chiropractor when I messed up my back a couple of years ago. It helps stretch things out for sure. I can't lie flat on my back on the floor without considerable pain, so I know my spine isn't what it should be. I need a pillow under my lumbar, I'll try your suggestion though, and slowly work down to it not being there.

Again, thanks to you all. Now, I just gotta go put my back into this job now ...