I hate my job right now :( What can I do?

I'm a college student and I've been working at a fine dining restaurant for over a year now. The more I work there, the more I can't stand it. The money is good and it is the only thing that actually keeps me coming back right now.

To not rant too much, I will just quickly bullet what I don't like (no particular order)

1. Annoying managers (you can bend backwards and they will still require more)

2. Unstable hours

3. Unstable pay (tips only)

4. Snob customers who think they are better than god because they pay $200 for dinner with their company Amex.

5. Overall stress mixed with fast pace... you are to not make ANY mistakes but also work super fast.

In other words, I hate it... and I would really love to get a more "mature" job. The issue is, I got bills to pay and limited time to work between classes. Thus I need this job to provide a relatively similar income to that of working at the restaurant.

Problem is, I'm still and undergraduate student (20 yrs old) and my only professional "skill" is that I'm a very good student, and likewise I can and do apply the same work ethic to my job, any job.

With my limited age and education at this point is there anything out there that will offer me an income similar to what I make in fine dining business (which is give or take >$13/h after taxes)

FYI: Sorry for the tone of this post and the possible writing errors. I just finished a killer double 10am to 1am shift

When I was doing my undergrad work, I had a great job working part time for a school district. I worked in classes at first, and then worked my way up to being a secretary whose job hours worked well with my classes. You need no particular skill, just pass a very easy test, and a willingness to work. A big plus, schools have super strong unions and the starting pay is close to what your making now with regular COLA raises. Look into it.

When I was doing my undergrad work, I had a great job working part time for a school district. I worked in classes at first, and then worked my way up to being a secretary whose job hours worked well with my classes. You need no particular skill, just pass a very easy test, and a willingness to work. A big plus, schools have super strong unions and the starting pay is close to what your making now with regular COLA raises. Look into it.

That's interesting, I should check it out. I'm assuming the K-12 school district? And what position do I ask for, apply for exactly?

Also, should I check out similar positions at my university or the municipal buildings and courts in my city?

If you really hate the job then try to find a new one. Whatever you do though don't quit your job until your 100% sure that you have a new one. And I know how it feels to really hate a job, but whatever you do don't complain about it while at work. Then you'd risk the chance of getting fired and having to settle for an even "suckier" job. Good luck.

Archived