Can I be a bartender if I'm not as talkative as most people?

I really want to be a bartender. The thing is, I'm a pretty laid back mellow person and I'm not sure if I'd make it in this business. I used to be shy as a kid, but I'm not anymore. While I don't get shy around new people anymore, I still find it difficult to make small talk with people at times. It's usually hit or miss; sometimes I'll get along great with someone I just met, sometimes I just go "yep, yea, wow, uh-huh" and smile because I can't think of anything to add to the conversation. People usually love me once they get to know me, they think I'm the funniest and weirdest guy they've met. Its the initial getting-to-know-me phase that's tricky.

I have a bachelors degree in fine art, but since that is freelance based, I need a regular job so I can do my art on the side. I've been trying to figure out what I could pursue as a second career, something to fall back on if the art thing doesn't work out. Bartending has been the only thing I've been excited about. I just love the atmosphere and variety from day to day. I can't see myself sitting in an office all day or doing physical labor in a warehouse.

I also thought it would be good for me to bartend because I'd be forced to make conversation with people and it could improve my social skills. I just question whether or not I have what it takes to be a good bartender, especially since I have very little customer service experience. Do you think you have to be super sociable and funny to get a job as a bartender?

I also thought it would be good for me to bartend because I'd be forced to make conversation with people and it could improve my social skills.

I agree with this. Bartenders make really good money (depending on where you work and your hours, of course) and it's a fun job. It can be hectic, but you would definitely be able to improve your social skills and possibly make new friends. I don't think you would feel 'forced' at all to make conversation, it would come very easily. After you work there for awhile you'll learn the 'regulars' too and then it'll be even easier to make conversation.

I think it's a great idea..especially for a side job. You do make lots of money, lots of friends etc., You're not the social type now but you would have no choice but to change that because you would be surrounded by people (mostly drunk) that just love to talk. It would definitely improve any lack of confidence skills as well..id say go for it! As long as you can see over the bar top..you're good!

Its an extremely popular job so most advertisements will usually want experienced people only.

I've had four friends who have done it, two were female and very attractive, however both did other jobs around the place they worked before becoming bar staff. The other two were blokes, one did it at a working mans type of pup, the other was a little bit into the drugs and rock and roll scene so he worked at nightclubs.

Without fail all of them hated the work, but wouldn't take any other sort of employment (like retail) which was rather bemusing, but have since moved onto bigger and better things, unlike me who is STILL working in retail.

You don't need to be super confident you just need to fit in with the image of what the owner of manager will think matches his or her establishment. Keep in mind that hospitality has always been a strong hold of employment for good looking people. You don't state your gender, but it will really help your cause if you are a female.

It is good work. Captain planet is right when he says that most places are going to want somebody experienced- it can be hard to "break in." If you aren't outgoing places might be reluctant to hire you as well. Do you know a lot about alcohol? That will help you a lot.

Have you thought about being a waiter/waitress? It's a little bit easier to get hired without experience. I'm working as a waiter for the summer and it's one of the best jobs I've had. You won't make as much money as a bartender but you can still do well if you work at a good restaurant. If you work at a restaurant with a bar you can sometimes use that position to leverage into the bartender position- most of the bartenders at my restaurant were servers first.

Archived