My supervisor is over friendly

My supervisor is a beautiful woman; she has been very supportive and friendly to me. But she often hugs and kisses my cheek in the office to thank my hard work. I know she means no harassment, what should I do to response her over friendly behavior? We are both female.

does she do it with other people? Do you have a relaxed social work environment? i worked in one place once where people did that a lot... i liked it ... it was nice and familiar. However, if you don't like it, don't hesitate in letting her know.

That sounds a little TOO relaxed to me. Where did you work?

in an office...a medical office. Depends on the culture of the country you live in. The world is not solely north american shaking-hands culture!

Hugging and kissing in a...MEDICAL office. You must have spent alot of time washing your hands.

Hugging and kissing in a...MEDICAL office. You must have spent alot of time washing your hands.

oh jeez.. it was nice and familiar.. one of the best / friendliest places i've ever worked...i don't see why you have a problem with it or seem so 'shocked' about it.

Don't you peck your friends on the cheek? My boss did... a guy... and it was just nice.. he was a ggreat family guy too!!

depending on where you live, a kiss hello on the cheek is the US equivalent of a handshake. i think in the US, people are a bit more reserved. it's tough when it's your supervisor - that's why i'd recommend saying something like you had onions for lunch or are getting sick, or are sweaty or something, and maybe then they'll get the hint...

oh jeez.. it was nice and familiar.. one of the best / friendliest places i've ever worked...i don't see why you have a problem with it or seem so 'shocked' about it.

Don't you peck your friends on the cheek? My boss did... a guy... and it was just nice.. he was a ggreat family guy too!!

I`m not shocked by it. A little amused, maybe. But it`s a WORK ENVIRONMENT, a medical office at that. What about germs, hygiene, what about lawsuits, harassment??

She does it very quick! I have no chance to reject her!!!! She actually came from a foreign country, I am thinking it maybe a culture matter! Does anyone know if it is the way for her saying “hi”?

As soon as you see her, extend your arm as far as it will go to shake hands,

and say; "Hi, how're you today?".

I`m not shocked by it. A little amused, maybe. But it`s a WORK ENVIRONMENT, a medical office at that. What about germs, hygiene, what about lawsuits, harassment??

so huggin someone or pecking them on the cheek is going to bring harassment and lawsuits and hygiene??? why is that harassment? nobody there had a problem with it.

What kind of lawsuits were you thinking of?

so huggin someone or pecking them on the cheek is going to bring harassment and lawsuits and hygiene??? why is that harassment? nobody there had a problem with it.

What kind of lawsuits were you thinking of?

Hopefully you have hygiene to begin with. As for lawsuits;better safe than sorry. How about PROFESSIONALISM, do you hug and kiss hello,goodbye, i`m going to the watercooler?

depending on where you live, a kiss hello on the cheek is the US equivalent of a handshake. i think in the US, people are a bit more reserved. it's tough when it's your supervisor - that's why i'd recommend saying something like you had onions for lunch or are getting sick, or are sweaty or something, and maybe then they'll get the hint...

Thanks for the idea! One day, I brought my lunch filled with sea food and onions. Guess what? She loved my lunch and started to share MY lunch with me and asked me to make another one for her next day! Of course, I made another one for her. Then, she brought more food for everyone few days later plus more hugs, more kisses on the cheek.....

In the workplace this is not appropriate. Whether you were ok with it or not is not the point. People who act this way are in for a rude awakeing. You don't hug and kiss coworkers to show gratitude.

Lawsuit waiting to happen. It's ignorant to do this in this day and time.

Everyone should be aware of their human resource laws. Better to be aware of it by studying the company handbook then becoming aware swearing on a bible in a courtroom.

The OP is a clear cut case of WHY this sort of thing is frowned upon. She obviously is not comfortable with this but because she WORKS for this person a quid pro quo scenario has been created. She feels funny saying anything since this is a superior. She shoudl NOT have to feel funny in the first place because it should NOT be happening.

Thanks for the idea! One day, I brought my lunch filled with sea food and onions. Guess what? She loved my lunch and started to share MY lunch with me and asked me to make another one for her next day! Of course, I made another one for her. Then, she brought more food for everyone few days later plus more hugs, more kisses on the cheek.....

are you good friends with her? maybe you can just tell her in the nicest way possible that you aren't a 'huggy/physical type of person' and would feel more comfortable with a 'good morning'.

are you good friends with her? maybe you can just tell her in the nicest way possible that you aren't a 'huggy/physical type of person' and would feel more comfortable with a 'good morning'.

No, I am a new hired employee, she is just my supervisor. Since some co-workers are doing the same way, the company looks it as a "friendly" environment. I felt it is strange, but they are really easy to work with.

Archived