Hey ENA!

I'm looking for some help with my resume to apply for a part-time job. So far, its laid out like this:

Name

Address

Phone Number

Objective (to obtain part-time employment)

Education (completing grade 10)

Awards and Memberships (Saskatoon Multiple 4-H Club - Treasurer, Vice President, President - Public Speaking Award, Public Speaking Award, Leadership Award)

References (my uncle, for whom I worked last summer at R & L Feeds)

obviously the exact resume is a bit more exact than this, but this is the general layout.

I'm already planning on adding volunteer hours/experience, but does anyone else know if there are any additions or revisions I could make? Anything at all?

Thanks in advance

Ideally you shouldn't use relatives as references. Does he have the same last name as you?

The resume is only part of the deal. The cover letter is way important too. In the cover letter you should explain WHY you want to work for company xyz. ZYou need to tailor the cover letter to fit the job. If it's a store (retail) tell them that you shop there and like and believe in the products.

cobver letter gets read first (and actually only the first paragraph)

Ideally you shouldn't use relatives as references. Does he have the same last name as you?

The resume is only part of the deal. The cover letter is way important too. In the cover letter you should explain WHY you want to work for company xyz. ZYou need to tailor the cover letter to fit the job. If it's a store (retail) tell them that you shop there and like and believe in the products.

cobver letter gets read first (and actually only the first paragraph)

Aaaaah yes the cover letter... I KNEW I was forgetting something.

And no, we do not have the same last name... but aside from him, my only employment history is a paper route I got fired from, so maybe not the best to use

Cover letter for a part time job seems a little over the top. It completely depends on the job you are applying for. If it's a restaurant, you don't need a cover letter. Retail store, still big gray area.

As for references, if you have been in these different groups or if you have volunteered at different places, are there teachers or other adults that help out with these groups? References do not only have to be previous bosses, especially for a part-time summer job. They basically want to know that you are responsible and punctual, that's it.

Aaaaah yes the cover letter... I KNEW I was forgetting something.

And no, we do not have the same last name... but aside from him, my only employment history is a paper route I got fired from, so maybe not the best to use

Since you dont have the same last name then use him. Maybe they will never know or figure out you are related.

I agree with the other poster that a cover letter may seem over the top, but it is the chance to put in a personal message tailored to that job. Are you handing in a paper copy or emailing it in? Or fax?

Since you dont have the same last name then use him. Maybe they will never know or figure out you are related.

I agree with the other poster that a cover letter may seem over the top, but it is the chance to put in a personal message tailored to that job. Are you handing in a paper copy or emailing it in? Or fax?

Paper copy - I'm coming in person, just on the off-chance that an interview is pending, required, or desired.

I agree with the other posters, you shouldn't have a relative as your reference. If they do call they will ask how he knows you. See if there is someone at school or in your community you know well.

Also, your work experience should be underneath your education bullet? I think employers like to immediately see your work history near the top.

Try to find out what you can about the company, they may ask you some industry related questions.

Good luck!

Cover letter. I am responsible for hiring and I don't care that you are looking for a part time job at a small time place - a cover letter shows you are serious and took a bit more time preparing for your job hunt. Handing resumes in in person is excellent (make sure you are alone, don't have friends tagging along). Have a second or third reference (we require two references).

If your email is email removed - TAKE IT OFF! If I read email removed at the top of a resume I pretty much chuck it. It is a total package and you are trying to sell yourself.

You say you worked for you uncle, yet you don't have that down under Work History/Previous Employment. Put that in. Do you have any volunteer experience? Put that in as well. Memberships mean nothing really - I want to see employment/volunteer history.

That's all I can think of off hand. Best of luck with the job hunt. Hit any place with a "help wanted" sign. I don't know if Ottawa is the same as the last few places I have lived, but it is a job seekers market right now. Don't be too proud to work at McDonalds - it is a job (and will actually be taken seriously on a resume for your next job hunt). Right now you are just trying to get your foot in the door and get some experience and money. Once you get one part time job under your belt people will treat your resume differently.

Once again, good luck!

Archived