12 credits

Konfetkette

Is taking 12 credits completely ridiculous?

I've got 3 sciences with labs. Two of them are 300 level.

Then I have a music class for fine arts gen ed requirement, and I have no time for it. It's 3 credits and requires reading a textbook, listening to music (that part I like, but I can't spare time JUST to listen to music because apparently listening to it while reading a Biology textbook won't get me far in my music class), I need to attend concerts and write reports. Oh yeah and having zero interest for learning about music isn't helping. I have no time for it and so far only had time to do it during the first week, when the pressure of classes wasn't as great.

I've never heard of people taking 12 credits. :S It's embarrassing. Should I drop my music class?

I usually take a minimum of 20 credits, with 12 being full-time requirements in engineering classes. I agree that the load can get quite hefty though. I've had a semester of 28 credits once, NEVER AGAIN!!!

Do what you can, it's really on an individual basis... maybe you'd be willing to do summer courses to catch up with the suggested curriculum?

Yeah I was thinking of doing summer classes actually...

Mousty, omg how is that possible? I don't think they allow 28 credits in my school.

But some people are faster learners than others. I'm not. It takes me forever to start remembering things. I basically have to memorize my textbooks almost word for word.

You need to have a pretty good GPA for them to let you do it =\ I ended up with a mediocre one that semester! haha! I don't recommend it at all.

Eeek! I can see that your style of learning would consume more of your time than for other people. Is there a way you can try to understand rather than memorize? Could a tutor maybe be beneficial for you?

The problem is with your attitude. I used to stress out about the workload I took in school until I changed the very way I thought about it.

Accept school, not your friends or personal activities as your life. Enjoy those concerts you must attend as simply another experience in your life. Who knows, you may meet some of your other classmates at those concerts and get to know them better.

Life is what you make it, but never forget duty before self.

At our school, lab sciences are 4 credits. Everything else is 3. So, at my school that course load would be 15 credits, which I still don't think is too bad. It's really dependent on the classes and professors. I'd ask around about the workload. I've had bio lab classes that were really overwhelming, and others that only took a couple hours of studying a week.

As for the music class, I took one at my school that sounds very similar. It was the easiest class I've ever taken. As long as you paid attention in class, you would get an A, it really didn't require any outside studying.

The problem is with your attitude. I used to stress out about the workload I took in school until I changed the very way I thought about it.

Accept school, not your friends or personal activities as your life. Enjoy those concerts you must attend as simply another experience in your life. Who knows, you may meet some of your other classmates at those concerts and get to know them better.

Life is what you make it, but never forget duty before self.

Well I have zero personal life and no friends so I don't see how much more I can accept it than I already have. I study every free minute I get.

At our school, lab sciences are 4 credits. Everything else is 3. So, at my school that course load would be 15 credits, which I still don't think is too bad. It's really dependent on the classes and professors. I'd ask around about the workload. I've had bio lab classes that were really overwhelming, and others that only took a couple hours of studying a week.

As for the music class, I took one at my school that sounds very similar. It was the easiest class I've ever taken. As long as you paid attention in class, you would get an A, it really didn't require any outside studying.

Biology is actually not bad at all. What freaks me out is my chemistry class because it does not allow me to study anything else... so bio will suffer too.

I need chemistry for my major though.

I finally found out where the tutors are at my school. They couldn't just tell me on the tutorin web site. They had to make a separate web page for Chemistry tutoring. grrrrr...

Just give it all your best and stick it out. I made a mistake last year in high school, I took Calculus, but I didnt pass it at all. I stuck it out and I tried but not hard enough, I did have some personal reasons why. In the end I gave up and didnt really give a sh.it at all. So just stick it out, it might be your lowest mark now but you could change that if you really try. I'm pretty sure you could do it, I know I could have passed the course if I just kept trying or even if I were to have gone to summer for the whole 20 days instead of going only only the first day and then dropping out.

Tuition was a non-issue for me when I was in college(proff's kid, free tuition). I did work all through college in an attempt to not always be studying. I rolled through in 5 years taking 12 credits a semester(and summer courses if possible). I once tried 16 and quickly dropped the extra course because I found it was detrimental to my LEARNING.

I don't think there is anything wrong with taking 12 credits a semester. I even think it is preferable(for most people) if you want to learn the material well. Remember the 3 hours of study for every hour of class time. A twelve hour load then translates into a 48 hour work week.

We all know that there are some courses that demand more of our time than that.

Good luck with your studies.

Archived