Meeting the parents..!

phoenix91

Hey,

I've been with my girlfriend for less than a month, we care about each other,and we're ready to do anything in order to keep our relationship, but there's one little problem, its her parents, they want to meet me (they want to meet me that fast...?!

Her mother is nice, and I think she likes me already...

But her father... he's that kind of peevish old man, who likes nobody,absolutely nobody(even himself...!), who shouts all the time...

Now, in order to keep our relationship, they're supposed to like me!

Anyway,How do I get them to like me...? I don't want to lose her though...

Goodness me, you're 16, you've been dating for less than a month, and her parents want to meet you already?! If it were me, I'd be inclined to make them wait, but you may be afraid that this will antagonise them.

How do you get them to like you? Be yourself, but emphasise your caring, responsible side. Don't try to be someone else, though; it never works, and just makes you look dishonest.

You should emphasise to your gf before any meeting that your relationship is with her, not her parents. While it would be nice if they liked you, it would be no good reason to dump you if they don't.

Finally, just to put a slightly different spin on it, remember throughout that you are a worthy individual too, and they need your approval as much as you need theirs. Don't give it away for free, make them work a bit; in my experience, you'll get more respect and an easier time that way.

umm, I frogot to mention one more thing...

I had a little fight with his father:

We were in school, he was driving his car, and I was in his way, he yelled at me, so I answered him, in a rude way ](*,).... I didn't know its her father till he called her to get in his car...

So I don't think being me is a good idea...

My gf knows that her relationship is with me, but her father is so hardheaded, and I think she would anything he asks...that's why I care so much about there opinion, otherwise, I wouldn't meet them at alll...

At 16 you should be meeting her parents soon. If you guys were older then I'd say wait. If my 16 year old daughter was dating someone I would have to meet him too or they wouldn't be dating.

You could always apologize for the rude comment you made. That would make you look mature and responsible. That might help your case with him liking you.

Every family has different rules, she'll know how you can survive meeting her parents. You should ask her.

I know when my bf met my family, he brought a present, didn't joke at all, sat a seat away from me and didn't touch me at all. (Except when we're absolutely alone he gave me a quick hug.)

Those are the rules I gave him before he came, and it worked well. My family didn't like his social status or his job, but they liked him as a person.

you are 16 and i wouldnt think its weird if you had to meet a girls parents before you even went out on one date.

you dont have to try and act a certain way. just be yourself and show respect for your girlfriend. i would recommend bringing her mom flowers or something from the bakery when you come over. never show up somewhere new empty handed.

yes you may touch her- hold her hand, put your arm around her, small kisses on the head or hand are okay. im 26 and my dad wouldnt want to see a guy doing anything more than that in front of him wether it was our first date or i was married fto someone for 10 years. its just a dad thing.

I wouldn't touch her. Maybe hold her hand and a small peck on the cheek infront of them lol. Especially the dad.

Take it as a good thing that they want to see you, that way your gf wont need to hide the fact she has a bf and maybe you can go over to her house etc sometimes to hangout.

Be polite, no swearing.

You can joke but not rude stuff, just be on your best behaviour. And friendly.

You don't need to bring a present but it's not a bad thought. Maybe a nice tin of cookies or box of chocolates... Any nice dessert.

Archived