Charisma

Clementine orange

What is it? What does it mean to people? Is it subjective?

Do I have it?

If no, how do I get it?

If yes, how do I get more?

I think it has nothing to do with looks since I believe Mick Jagger and Freddy Mercury seem to have (had) it in spades and they are markedly unattractive men. If these guys were accountants would they still have Charisma?

For you generation Y peeps you will have to come up with your own real world examples of charismatic men...sorry can't think of any off head. Maybe that guy from Maroon 5?

Charisma, swagger, charm....I think its a way you carry yourself. With confidence, self respect, and just enough pride to seem...well, proud.

I agree, but sometimes when people attempt to act proud it just comes off like arrogant. I think that some of the most charasmatic people I know are not afraid to let it fly, but also not afraid to be judged or criticized. Enthusiasm is infectious, and those that aren't afraid to be different, but aren't different just for the sake of "trying to be different" will usually peak my interest. Deliberately weird is pretty obvious, but a truly charasmatic person always looks like he's in on some fantastic secret that he/she is not allowed to share.

Someone who is charismatic is:

- Outgoing and friendly with everyone; they do not discriminate

- Show care and concern; they exude warmth in their interactions

- Is a (wo)man of the people; is chatting upon entering a room full of strangers from pipefitters and plumbers to attorneys and doctors (again, does not discriminate)

- Tend to have a broad vocabulary and a way with words

- Charming; they have a way of making the person they are speaking with feel good about themselves; they bring out the best in others

I've heard that you either have it or you don't, BUT, I think you can learn it with a willingness and discipline. Start reading books - read and learn as much as you can about everything. Practice vocabulary. Start initiating conversations with people everywhere you go; just small talk. Join a Toastmasters to polish up public speaking skills. Practice, practice, practice!

P.S. With respect to looks, I think there is a certain confidence that comes with that. Being good looking affords people attention and preferential treatment. When you are younger, this boosts self-esteem and promotes learning and growth. These people mature into adults who are comfortable in their skin (another trait of charismatic people) as a result. But, that doesn't mean that you have to be good looking in order to be charismatic. Charisma is a part of personality.

Charismatic people:

- Barack Obama

- Bill Clinton

- Adolf Hitler

- Jesus Christ

- Stalin

- Martha Stewart

- Oprah

- Mick Jagger

- Derek Jeter

I agree, but sometimes when people attempt to act proud it just comes off like arrogant. I think that some of the most charasmatic people I know are not afraid to let it fly, but also not afraid to be judged or criticized. Enthusiasm is infectious, and those that aren't afraid to be different, but aren't different just for the sake of "trying to be different" will usually peak my interest. Deliberately weird is pretty obvious, but a truly charasmatic person always looks like he's in on some fantastic secret that he/she is not allowed to share.

I agree you have to be careful with the level of pride you show, so as not to seem arrogant.

charisma = you. it's your driving force. it's how you carry yourself, interact with the world around you. it's not the same as everyone else's attitude. if people can see through the way you carry yourself and that you are not who you say you are, good luck winning them over.

Charisma and pride are very different I think.

Charisma is like charm. It's not hard to qualify charisma. Just think of those people that can walk into a room full of people and immediately be the center of attention. They walk in with a friendly air and start chatting with someone, and just give off that "good vibe." Someone with little charisma would walk in, eyes probably downcast, and shuffle off to a corner of the room.

Charisma isn't in how you carry yourself or how you see yourself or even conduct yourself. There are plenty of charismatic assholes. I think charisma, in the end, is just giving off an approachable vibe. Just the simple difference between being easy for a stranger to walk up to and ask a question, and being the last resort for someone who needed to ask something.

If i wasn't in University, i would not have met this one Prof. Because of this one new Prof, the entire department is being blamed by the students for the past year's low GPA. Because this particular prof can teach students in a way that we not only look forward to attending, but grabbed an extra 100 students from other sections to attend. The final grade is 7% higher than the other sections, and the mid-term & finals are the same in different sections! People are sitting on the aisle just to attend the prof's lecture. If this prof was in the corporate world, she would have had 7 figure income. I have zero doubt about it. The University is lucky to have her help teach classes. That's Charisma.

Do I have it?

If no, how do I get it?

I think it has nothing to do with looks since I believe Mick Jagger and Freddy Mercury seem to have (had) it in spades and they are markedly unattractive men. If these guys were accountants would they still have Charisma?

For you generation Y peeps you will have to come up with your own real world examples of charismatic men...sorry can't think of any off head. Maybe that guy from Maroon 5?

i call it swagger. its basically letting people know your there your swagger is your own style and your own everything. lots of rappers say they have swagger so look at lil wayne, T.I. among others

everyone has swagger some are just not visible. such as me im a jellayroll i set myself apart from everyone else and completely got over on this site as being a piece of breaded fruit. creativity and all that factors into it.

Do I have it?

If no, how do I get it?

It's a gift.

It usually means that someone is charming and attractive in their mannerisms and speech. I consider myself to be charismatic (because I am, as a rule).

It is subjective.

I can't tell, you're only an online persona, with a picture of an orange. Who knows?

Since it's a gift (that is where the word comes from), I would assume you cannot acquire it by skill. Either you are charismatic or you're not.

Archived