im a "new" lesbian, when is it time to tell my fam

hi, i would really appreciate some help with this please!!! I have been with my girlfriend for 5 1/2 months. It is my first lesbian relationship. I love her and I think that this relationship will last forever!! When should I tell my family. They have met her and really like her, but I dont want to wreck anything by telling them too soon or waiting too long. How do I know when I shoud tell them that we are more than just friends??? I think my mom may know already and I have told my younger sister and she is completely supportive???

thanks!

Well I guess it depends on how they will react if they the type to blow a complete fit I would say wait till things are hot serious. And they are totally understanding then go ahead tell them. Don't lie. What you have is not a sin, its how you feel. They can harm you for that.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat

I did plan to say to my parents "This may come as a shock, or it may not, but I've been in a relationship with laura for 6months now, we are very happy and we love eachother completely, even if we broke up I wouln't be staright so dont think of this as a phase."

Then see what they say and either run away very quickly or sit and talk to them about it properly.

• 3 weeks later...

hi, I am not really gay, I wondered onto this tread accidentally, but I can try to answer the question from the familly side.

Once between my friends a topic came up, "what would you do if one of your siblings turned out to be gay" I have two siblings, a brother and a sister, if it turns out one of them is gay, I know I will be hurt for a while, I tried to figure out with myself as to why, but I don't know. Anyway, later I realized that I will love my bro or sis all the same (they are both younger) and it really doesn't matter I guess, as long as they are happy.

So, I think, that if your family does freak out, they will come around gradually, You yourself must not give up on them.

• 5 weeks later...

I have been with my girlfriend for over a year. While our friends know the true make-up of our relationship My family does not. I think they wonder, but I never have just openly said, Hey look I know I was married for 11 years, but now I am in love with someone else and it just happens to be her...yes a girl. I don't know if there is ever a RIGHT time. I know that it can cause problems in your relationship if it goes on for too long. Everyone has a need to be loved and validated. Maybe you should discuss this with your girlfriend, it's likely that she has had to go thru the same questions, has had the same emotions. At the very least she'll know that she is important to your life and that you want to tell your family, you are just scared of the outcome.

good luck to you!

Shari