Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

Highly Recommended Reads

blueangel

Night by Elie Wiesel is a book I read in tenth grade English and it left an impact on the way I saw some things.

But years later, today, I started to read the rest of his series and have learned these other books of his are also amazing, and all a short read:

1. Dawn by Elie Wiesel (already read...left my mind still and heart full of wonder)

2. Day by Elie Wieself (am currently reading and it is written with such depth and poeticness)

3. The Judges by Elie Wiesel (have yet to read)

If you want books that will pull you in, if you want books that are powerful and thought provoking, I highly recommend these. Elie Wiesel, holocaust survivor, asks a lot of questions about humanity and God through these books.

I had to read Night in high school as well.

Try Man's Search for Meaning, by Viktor E. Frankl. He too was a Holocaust survivor, and also the founder of a brilliant form of psychotherapy called, logotherapy. This book has made me "see the light" during several different critical times in my life. Truly, it's a phenomenal read.

^^^

That sounds really interesting, TRQ. As do yours, Blueangel.

Speaking of Holocaust survivors, I would recommend 'The Drowned and the Saved' by Primo Levi. It is a locus of moral authority, even though he never claimed anything like that for it. It's just a very important book. Or his 'The Periodic Table' which is a very moving book about his love for the science of chemistry.

Wow, I'll be checking out these. Thank you. I'm very interested in this subject if you could call it a subject. A few times I've had to think the word "holocaust" in my head to get my priorities straight and values refocused as I've walked through school, through life so far. I've met a holocaust survivor at a church where I live named Jack Sittsamer. That sort of sparked my curiosity in all this because the whole tragedy pulls into question so many things about Man and God. And that's what Elie Wiesel's books focus on, and they've impacted me alot.

After I finish reading them I will check out those others. thank you.

blueangel, since you are so interested in the holocaust, I would really recommend visiting a holocaust museum. I don't know where you are in PA, but DC isn't that far and they have a great one. The one in Israel affected me the most, but not as easy to get there I've heard many holocaust survivors talk and it's overwhelming. My boyfriend's grandparents are survivors but they won't talk about it.

Firstly, your sig, Daligal83, really hit me.

But anyways, it's funny you mentioned DC because I plan to move to Maryland someday, so I wont be too far. I am interested in the holocaust, but scared of it at the same time. I dont know how ready I am to see a museum of it. Learning about in in class, I was really affected hearing about it, even though I've known about it for years. It makes me question so much. Our world really isnt a secure place is it? Most people are not secure. If God ever had a dream for this place, it is faraway for now.

Then I've read Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza (another book I'd recommend) who is a survivor of the Rwandan genocide who forgave the man who murdered her family and I've read quotes of holocaust survior forgiveness...here's one "For a long moment, we grasped each other's hands, the former guard and the former prisoner. I had never known God's love so intensely as I did then. But even so, I realized it was not my love. I had tried, and did not have the power. It was the power of the Holy Spirit as recorded in Romans 5:5,...'because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given to us.'"- Corrie ten Boom, former Nazi concentration camp prisoner

(and if they can still see the light, I can too.)

So thank you. I will take that advice also.

I think for now we must turn our eyes to Darfur.

Archived