Anti-depressants for irritability/agitation.

It seems to be a common misconception that anti depressants are only used to treat depression. Many of them can be used to treat the things you describe.

Are you asking this question for yourself? It seems that you have posted quite a few times about this type of medication.

These medications are not an overnight miracle cure, It can take several weeks for them to reach theraputic levels in the body. If they do not work within that time it is possible that the dose may need to be increased.

I would advise against chopping and changing such medications regularly and give them a chance to do their work properly.

I was started on 20mg of citalopram. I now take 60mg and it works like a charm for both the depression and anxiety that have plagued me this past year.

Talk to you doctor about your concerns. Tell him how you feel the medication is working or not working for you.

I'd try and stick with one for a while and see how it goes.

It's also worth keeping in mind that the side effects from these medications do get less over time.

good luck

shoes

thanx. Yes it's for me. It seems that all of the SSRI's have helped, but they have horrible side effects that are permanent, like sexual side effects. I am now on wellbutrin and I feel really agitated and dizzy, but it's only been a week, so I'll try to do what you said and give it at least a few more weeks. I don't like constantly switching pills, it feels like I'm messing with my mind too much!

Wellbutrin is a good med. I took that for a long time, didn't have the sexual side effects that I did with other meds. If you are still experiencing agitation then you might want to consider a mood stabilizer, in addition to the Wellbutrin. During the time that I was suffering from depression, I started experiencing crazy mood swings, agitation and hostility to crying fits. The mood stabilizer helped tremendously. Good luck in finding what works for you.

Sometimes you require another medication to deal with the side effects.

May i venture to ask how you know the side effects are long lasting if you keep changing your meds frequently?

It may just come down to looking at which problem you really want to deal with.

I've said several times before that i would rather deal with the side effects of my medication than deal with wanting to kill myself every day

well the sexual ones I know are permanent, because doctors have told me that, and also people that have been on them for years have told me that. Those seem to be the effects that are permanent and ones I do not wanna live with, especially since I haven't even had sex yet! I've done other things and it just kills it. But it's not to the point where I'm suicidal or anything. It's just I feel down all the time when I'm not on anything. I'm going to stick to the wellbutrin for a while though.

It's worth remembering that not all the POSSIBLE side effects happen for everyone that takes the drug. The mind can play tricks on us. You can almost guarentee that someone who looks for information about possible side effects will get them.

Medical studies prove this. You give someone a placebo and tell them what side effects the drug will have, they will most likely develope them.

hey Krystal, not sure if you'll look at this anytime soon.

But I was just replying to your pm, but you no longer have that option on your account,so I can't send it to you...so if still want to talk, you can email me. I think I have that option on mine (:

Archived