Technically...

While quitting at any time decreases your chances...the longer you smoke the more likely you are to get cancer, emphazema, and a bunch of other bad things such as chronic bronchitius...

After three years of smoking you probably won't have much more risk than people who have never smoked (IF YOU QUIT NOW!!!)

Plus it's a lot easier to quit after three years than after say 5 or 6...

I've been smoking for 6 years now and it's tough to quit, but I'm trying...

It helps to write down a long list of reasons to quit and when you want one read the list first.

After only three months of not smoking lung functions return to near normal (if you haven't smoke for a long long time) and over time they will return to normal as long as there hasn't been permanent damage done, in your case there probably hasn't... Best of luck...it's not easy but you can do it...but do it now before it's too late!!!!

Oh and my reason #1 on my list of why not to smoke...

SMOKING CAUSES IMPOTENCE IN MALES!!! no thank you...

who ever told you that if you quit your chances of getting lung cancer will increase rather then you still smoking, was probably working for the tobaco company at the time. Like the others said ur chances of getting lung cancer will be greatly reduced if u quit now instead of keep smoking.