How to Have a First Kiss

Mike11

Recently I’ve been trying to go out with a girl and I want to make sure I know what I am doing well before I may need to do it. I have seen a lot of things about first kisses and every one of them has been different. What I want is a detailed explanation on how you think a first kiss should be done, including possible variations based on preference.

For some specifics, I would like to know:

1. What should the setting be? Where and when would it be good to go for a first kiss? Where wouldn’t it be good?

2. How should the kiss go? I have seen some things say a long ~10 second kiss with stacked lips, I have seen some say no longer than 5 seconds, I have seen some say just start with a peck on the lips and continue from there if it feels right, I have seen some say no tongue at all, some say some tongue but not too much, some say tongue only at the end, and some say end the kiss with another peck on the lips. I have seen some say to go for nothing but a peck on the lips and end it there, and I have seen some say say start with a bit of a peck and then match what she does.

3. What do you do with your hands? I have seen some things say to hold her forearm, some things say to hold her upper arms, some things say to hold her waist, some things say to hold her hair out of her face on her neck with one hand, and some things say to hold her neck with both hands. To me the holding the forearm and holding her neck with both hands seem the most appealing as holding the forearm gives them space but is also somewhat intimate, and holding her neck is much more intimate and allows you to somewhat control the kiss.

4. What do you do after? Most things I have seen say to just smile at her after but that seems like it could be awkward anyway. Some things have said to say something about it or compliment her. To me, complimenting her after would seem like a good way to follow it up.

OK. If you're serious, keep your tongue in your mouth and you can try to give her a short kiss on the lips at the end of the date. If she pushes you off, you can kiss her on her cheek and leave it at that.

If you're by yourselves and it looks like she wants to kiss, again, keep your tongue in your mouth and try a few longer kisses. You should be holding her close when you kiss and keep your hands on her back above her waist. You should wait until you've been out on a few dates before you try any funny stuff. Don't force yourself on her and you do have to see how she responds before you go any further.

If you wind up some place romantic and you start necking, start slow and see how it goes.

Archived