Job offer! Now what?

tallydoo

Update to my last thread: I got the job! It's a level lower than what I interviewed for because of my lack of experience, but it's not a significant paycut and the improvement to my mental and emotional health will be great. Plus there are opportunities for advancement and raises that aren't there with my current job.

1) My current boss and I just had a meeting to go over my duties and how to offload some of them so I can do more of what I want. The problem is, he keeps making promises and breaking them, so I feel justified in leaving. Is there a way I can break this news to him in such a way that it isn't a crazy insult?

2) My two weeks' notice will fall over Thanksgiving: do I extend my two weeks so that it's two weeks and three days, or do I include the holiday as part of my two weeks?

3) How do I negotiate for a few days between jobs to clean my spirit a bit? The work environment at my soon-to-be old job was pretty toxic and I want to start this one fresh.

1) You simply give your notice, in writing, in a professional manner.

2) Thanksgiving counts as a day during those 2 weeks.

3) You negotiate your start date with your new employer. When my sister interviewed for her current job she was up front that she had a trip planned for a certain week to go to a wedding and she asked them whether they would prefer her to start on the 15th of that month, then go away for the 17th-21, or would it be better for them if she started on the 23rd. I would not negotiate weeks to "detox". If one job ends on a friday, then its reasonable to start on Monday. if one job ends on a Wenesday, starting on Monday at the other job is reasonable. If it were a different time of year, I might suggest otherwise, but there are going to be quite a few days where the business is closed during the holidays depending on the nature of the business if not a retail job.

Update to my last thread: I got the job! It's a level lower than what I interviewed for because of my lack of experience, but it's not a significant paycut and the improvement to my mental and emotional health will be great. Plus there are opportunities for advancement and raises that aren't there with my current job.

1) My current boss and I just had a meeting to go over my duties and how to offload some of them so I can do more of what I want. The problem is, he keeps making promises and breaking them, so I feel justified in leaving. Is there a way I can break this news to him in such a way that it isn't a crazy insult?

2) My two weeks' notice will fall over Thanksgiving: do I extend my two weeks so that it's two weeks and three days, or do I include the holiday as part of my two weeks?

3) How do I negotiate for a few days between jobs to clean my spirit a bit? The work environment at my soon-to-be old job was pretty toxic and I want to start this one fresh.

For number 3, is it easy to talk to your manager? If you're on good terms you be able to just ask for it

Archived