Is suicide a sin?

"Thou shalt not kill" is pretty clear to me.

Yeah, but it doesn't say it directly, like, you don't know if it means it's a sin to kill others, yourself or both.

I don't think suicide is a sin. I just don't. I think killing others is definetely a sin, but apparently God forgives?... Don't know really... *shrug*

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I answered this or not.

In answer to the original question, yes, it's a sin. An incredibly selfish one, at that. But it's by no means unforgivable or unpardonable, as the Augustinian belief purports. That's merely a Catholic invention to guilt people into staying alive. Just as there are many Catholic - and other religious - inventions devised to guilt people into going to church, etc.

Anything that is not of faith is sin. That would encompass a lot more than mere suicide. Not that I'm condoning it, because I'm not. It's cowardly, extremely selfish and the easy way out, doubtless. If I can live with my pain, and many others who are hurting as well, then so can others. Life is short and pain doesn't last forever.

• 3 months later...

nobody knows.

bible wont tell you

nothing will

if you dont want to kill yourself.. shouldnt have to wonder

if you do, then you'll find out in the afterlife

god is merceful. people become mentally unstable and cant control thereselves

will god send someone to hell because they were so mentaly unstable, they couldnt handle it anymore?

doubt it

Suicide is a sin, yes and no. (Please, note this is based on Christian beliefs and will reflect those beliefs)

If you do it knowing full well that what you are doing is wrong and are sane, then, yes, it is a sin according to Christian beliefs. If you are seriously not able to comprehend that suicide is wrong, then it isn't. You have to know something is sinful to commit a sin. However, most are able to know that what they are doing is wrong. This leaves room for those that are SERIOUSLY mentally instable. God will judge those that kill themselves accordingly, whether they are given mercy for their sin or condemned.

This is what the Catholic Church says (I italicized parts dealing with depression and salvation):

Suicide

2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.