Dont know what to do and feel down :(

Ok 2 jobs come up at the same time, i went for both interviews, one was for an I.T analyst, and i really wanted this job, the other was a networking job.

The analyst was for a big company and the I.T area was really professional and the area i wanted to get into.

The networking place, is for a crappy freight company, and its not even an I.T area they just need someone to help another guy out, i didnt like the work surroundings, it just didnt seem professional in the I.T area , it was just basically help this guy out with the servers (very small in one tiny room) with the problems they had etc.

Both positions are same wage, the analyst was like 10 mins walk from me, and the networker job was like 40 mins on the bus. I got told today i didnt get the analyst job and i feel really down, the agency woman swore i would get it, i was confident and thought i had it, it was between 2 of us, it was just such a shock that i didnt get it and it kinda hurt.

Thing is, i have to ring the other job back and tell thenm what i want to do, but im not sure im even interested in that job now, not cause of the other placement was better, thinkink of it now, im not sure i even wanted to work in that place.

One more thing, my parents are always naggin me to at LEAST get something, i have been tryign real hard these couple of weeks and they havent said much, do you think they will MAKE me goto this position.

I forgot to add that this networker job they want someone in there for like 2 years, im not sure i will even want to be there 6 months lol.

dunno what to do any suggestions?

I'd go for it, say you only stay 6 months, atleast you'll be adding experience to your resume, so next time you go for that IT analyst you'll get in. the more experience the better the jobs... it would suck, most likely, but you might not have that much pressure compared at working at like a giant corp....

I dunno i've been an IT Analyst for 5 years now, the only thing i hate about my job is the commute in this wonderfull NYC traffic! Other then that i'm in charge of ordering and installing PCs, Servers, Software, setting up pc networks, upgrading, testing, traveling (sometimes).... I love it!

hey dj why dont you just rub it in, about being an I.T analyst, just cause i didnt get it, you make it seem wonderful, and yet i still didnt get the job.

jk

I feel a bit better, im going to the 2nd interview on the job i dont want, but being out of work and no money just sucks, the thing is, the thing is this I.T analyst job, I was soo sure i would get it, i started to plan out stuff in my head, like where i would go to lunch, how the ppl would be like, it was like i was settling in, in my mind.

I was just SOO sure i would get it, i even said to the agency woman, i said hey thats even if i get the job, she was like ohh shut up ur better then the other guy. so i was on a level where I was telling myself i wouldnt get it, just so it dont hurt as much due to failure, its how i survive. but she pulled me out of that frame of mind by reassuring me quite a bit.

I forgot to add, that the main reason this other dude got it was that he

seemed alot more keen, well i dunno how i could of sounded keener, i asked questions all the time and was just sounded soo enfusiastic, but in the end he got it cause he had been in an I.T position before.

These idiots make me laugh, they want u to have previous I.T experience, but jeeze no one will even give you a chance, thats what gets me down at times. How did you get in your line of work, thats what i wanted to ask you!

sorry, I didn't mean to rub it in

Anyways, like i said you gotta do the time before you get a better job. do a few crappy jobs first off so they know you know your stuff. You can tell them you know everything (which you might know). but when it comes down to it they are going to higher the person who's been at it longer, with more certifications, and experience.

I started off as a kid, maybe 13ish, i got a PC, and pretty much took the thing apart and put it back togeather, and as time went on i was always the one who could fix someones PC when they needed it. After HS i wanted to go to college for Film, but i couldn't stand college, and i quit, and went to one of those Computer Training places, Chubb i think it was called, and i did my time there learning alot of stuff i already kinda knew. Made some friends there and just started doing all little work, then eventually i got a job at the place where i am now, started out as the help desk guy dealing with all the little crap, then the guy above me left, and i moved up, got more responsiblities.... As time went on the more i did the more i learned, and also work pays for training and certifications so, i go for those every so often ( I should go more often!). I'm content right now, but i kinda wana go back to college, so i can go get like a managment job eventually, or something. Only thing i reget is not doing college first... I think about it now and am like, damn that woulda been easy..

im the same im been doing computer stuff from earlier age im now 22, cause i dont have alot of qualifications right now, im doing a web masters home course, and im trying to get some online portfolio so they could at least say well hes done this kinda thing.

Tbh, the systems they were using, and the stuff they were doign, i really dont think they have a clue. what i mean, is that they are doing windows 2003 server, cinix i think it was, sql, plus alot of other stuff. it makes me laugh cause, i see jobs that are like this go for like 40k, im not asking for that wage lol, im just saying they have more to offer then they know.

One more thing, when I applied it said the wage was negotiable, but when i spoke on the phone i said anything frmo 12k upwards, im now thinkin that i should talk to them and say hey lets negotiate. I wouldnt mind 14, or even 13, I just wanna scrap £1000 a month, then im not bothered. think i should give it a shot?

Hey man. So sorry. Hey I know what it's like.

Folks say they won't hire you until you get more experience, but if no one will hire you- how do you get the experience you need to get hired?

This always baffled me a bit too. My advice is to just keep plugging away take what jobs you can(if nothing else experience to add to you resume) and don't be discouraged. You will find something more to your taste.

Good luck!

hey cheers york, but i think im gettin old lol, im 22 man, i should be doing this at 18, say i stay here for 2 years, ill be 24 then, i want to do soo much in I.T. im just interesting in everything.

I want to do a tech support job on like windows XP, or computer problems, or even hardware problems would be much fun, id love web design, i applyed for a few of them, they were only temp, and it was up london bit far, but i didnt care the job excited me that much i saw it as fun not work lol.

How about you, whats your status?