This is my first time ever posting in a forum like this, take it easy on me. So I met this guy in high school, we both had a crush on each other our sophomore year. Then, our junior year he really started to pursue me. I was hesitant but couldn't resist after he'd taken me on dates, got my flowers, had me meet his family, the whole 9 yards. Now we are both in our first year of college. We were together for 2 years and this guy was an absolute blessing. He always replaced old flowers with new ones, we were close to

each other's families, and he always fought so hard to keep me around although I was difficult (would start unnecessary fights, some times pull away, etc). This year he got a basketball scholarship so we have been doing the long distance thing (it's only 2 hours). He'd been doing great with this too, it's me that caused a lot of fights and caused him a lot of stress which would lead to us both crying and stressing. One day, I told him maybe our relationship had bad timing. To my surprise he said "maybe it did". Then he suggested taking a break. I called him immediately and told him we should break up. He got very upset and apologized saying he didn't want to lose me. A week later, we got in another fight and he suggested we break up. I was crushed. I went to go see him and talk to him, we both agreed that we would work on things. That entire week I was trying to talk to him and make things right but it seemed the more I tried, the more I pushed him away. He would say things like "things are just crazy right now love, when I come home for spring break it'll be better". He informed me that his grades were slipping and his coach told him that if this continues to happen, he'd lose his scholarship and he was extremely worried about disappointing is family. He ended up breaking up with me. For the next 2 weeks, I'd text him every few days trying to make it work, but it all just made it worse. Finally, I sent a long apology email for not appreciating him and for starting so many arguments. I told him I love him and respect his decision. He replied with an equally long message talking about our memories and how he'd always love me. He said "this is what's best, for now, in the long run." And that he is constantly working out and focusing on school. We talked in person last week, we both cried and I tried to get him back but he said that now isn't the time and he isn't going to date any girls during this time but he needs to get everything together. He also said all the fighting made him lose feelings but he knows that they'll come back if they were real and he doesn't want me to stop my life to wait for him. He said he still sees himself marrying me. We agreed to give each other a few weeks and then to reconnect and "see how we are feeling". It's been a week of no contact. I deleted my social networks because I don't want to stalk him, I want to truly give him space (although we know a lot of the same people so I'd know if anything significant happened). I love this guy, I love his family and I want him to be happy even if we don't work out. I just really miss him and have had horrible anxiety over this situation. I need advice on how to handle it.

When it comes to relationships that develop when you are young, there are many factors one doesnt initially see. Because you are in love/lust. Over the years as people grow, people learn to discover their identity. Finding out who you really are and what you're about.

Timing is a definite factor, considering you were both entering college. A place where you grow and learn. Also factors like distsnce, schedules, sports etc. Take a tremendous toll. Honestly.I'd say to let him focus on what his heart desires. While you on the other hand focus on yourself and work for what is best for you.

Never chase love, affection, nor attention. If it isn't given freely by another person, it isn't worth having.

If you truly love him you will stay away and let him focus on basketball, grades and school. Your anxiety is causing fights and taking his focus of what is truly important....keeping his scholarship. You don't want to be part of the problem...you want to be part of the solution.

As other people have said just stick to no contact and don't force anything. There is a possibility you will be together in the future and if that happens this break will have been for the best in the long run. If it's meant to be, you two will end up together again and if it's not you will meet someone you love even more someday. Win win situation

Archived