Does my coworker like me?

RaraRoo

I need advice! Right now, I feel like a creep. & I will tell you for why.

My workmate is 27 (let's call him Ben) and I am 23. To me, this age gap is perfect, so that's not an issue.

When I started my job last year, I was with another guy. Things weren't going great, and I wanted to split up with him but for several reasons could not until August this year. I won't list these reasons, as it would fill a whole new thread. So since I started my job, I have haven't been happy in a relationship.

Ben trained me up in my job, and to begin with, I actually thought to myself that he wasn't that good looking. Then my head conceived a scenerio that he had a crush on me, and I developed a serious crush on him! I think it started when an older colleague mentioned that Ben hadn't seen me all day and 'liked' me. And this is a colleague that Ben feels comfortable with.

In fact, all our colleague are older than us, and he does seem to talk to them easier than he does with me. We have jokes and banter, and I genuinely get the feeling that he might fancy me but is just shy. He makes me laugh so much and that's super sexy. He always goes over the top if I ask him to help me too. He remembers stuff about my family and what I've done during the year. He always remembers when I've booked holiday and wishes me "wonderful" days, but didn't say anything before my birthday (he knew it was coming up, and I had got him a card for his!) He has never spoken about having a girlfriend, but I'm fairly certain he is single... he could even be gay, but I seriously doubt that (for many other reasons that it would take too long to explain!)

Basically, I need help. Ben and I get on best when there is no one else around. As in, he talks to me. If others are about he's more reserved, unless we're at a social function where talking is allowed, and then he lets loose about his family and stuff.

Last night was our Christmas do, and we both got rather drunk. He seemed to be dancing a lot near me, and almost grinded up against me. I offered that my Dad could take him home later, but he started texting a friend and got a lift before I had a chance to say anything. I was gutted, and stupidly drunk text him straight after he went. I didn't say anything about liking him, and he did actually reply in a jokey manner. (no kisses on his texts though waaaa). BUT... he never gave me his number. So it's awkward. I had Ben's number from a lady I work with, who thinks Ben and I should date. This lady only has his number because she asked him for it, as she was taking 3 months sick leave. I won't see Ben until work on Tuesday, and all I can do is hope that he texts be out of nowhere, but this isn't going to happen.

I won't apologise for texting without getting his permission to do so, because I WANT him to think I like him. But if he doesn't like me or is too shy to do anything until I make it obvious, how do I take the plunge and risk rejection? And then continue working with him? I really, really like him, but at the same time, THAT annoys me because if he was boyfriend material, he'd make his feelings more obvious anyway

Also, if you were a shy guy out with a girl you fancied at your work Xmas do, and most people had gone home so you could pretty much be alone, would you just get up and go? Hell, I wouldn't! Even if I risked getting a lift back with my future father in law lol. He knows I split up with my boyfriend not long ago, but I have hinted that I'm open for dating BY dating other guys. But Ben's always on my brain. Help!!

You can continue to just plow ahead and see how the chips fall...or... you can slow down and look at the big picture. Getting involved with someone you work with can be a dicey situation. You are already edging into dodgy territory with the grind dancing at a work do and then drunk texting after. Take a moment and decide what you want from this situation and think it all the way through. You are fresh out of a breakup. Maybe you just need some time to get sorted. There is no law that says you have to always have a bloke in your life.

Maybe he does not think you are girlfriend material. You do not want to push things too fast and make work a big mess. You do not want a repeat of the same arc that your last boyfriend had. Strong attraction, desperate to get together, get together and see who he truly is, then big time fizzle. Take things slowly please!

ya, i agree with the above post. this is your career. and his.

maybe cool it, and just watch him for a while, get a better feell for his character. Personally i would also be concerned about the other coworkers that are telling you to date him. this means that the likely notice there is something going on, and they are talking about it. Be careful. if you do end up dating the guy better to keep it as private as possible.

Archived