ever get looked down upon for your job

joe45

u ever had ppl kind of look down on you after you tell them what you do., oh your a pastry chef. or oh you dont have university. oh just 8 months of schooling hey. or before when i was in school i was just going to college and not univ and they would say oh . or if you in the IT field as computer repair person and not some kind of big shot PC engineer making the chips. well what happens if you just cant get into the univeristy or marks

they dont care to talk to you after you tell them what you do. and some of them give you that smirk or look like their better than you

you ask them what they do and generally they have a univ degree in some kind of technical engieering or high end white collar job in a corp company.

this is not with dating or with girls, but just casual talking with ppl you meet at events or social networking. some through church or volunteer co workers,. just everywhere you go.

im guessing most girls wont date a guy with lower education.

i like to hear your stories, of ppl if it has happened to you before. what do u think of it and this

im chinese but westernized one.

Yes people do judge another by their occupation.

People can be very shallow.

I remember when I worked in a cafe.

I didn't get much respect from older men.

Now that I work with computers, it's a totally different story.

They either don't like talking to me because they feel threatened that I have a strong knowledge in what they fear or they want to talk to me because they believe I am highly intelligent because they find computers daunting and to be working in such a field they have respect for me.

Well, I don't currently have a job but at times I get looked down upon for my program and for what I want to do. I'm working on a BA in English and want to use it to become a high school English teacher. My own parents and brother are proud as are some of my friends and of course myself, but I definitely get a lot of crap from people constantly, people whose opinions aren't even wanted. When I talk to relatives, friends of friends, or the parents of friends I get approving smiles when I inform them of my university, and then the smile wipes off when I tell them what program I'm in. And I get a lot of, "Oh, so humanities... what do you plan to do with that? Oh a teacher... don't you know there aren't a lot of opportunities for that right now?" My mom's hairdresser even said to my mother behind my back, "Oh no... your daughter seems so smart though! Why is she wasting time and money becoming a teacher?? She wanted to be a lawyer before, that's so much more prestigious and she'll earn more!"

I definitely understand what you mean though. Just a whole lot of people looking down on you, refusing to recognize the importance of what you do and sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. To be honest it doesn't hurt as much as it used to. I used to be really insecure because I wasn't even sure what I wanted with life, but I've somewhat of an idea now and I love putting people in their places when they try to put me down (I try to be polite though, of course). Every job is important and as long as you love what you're doing, I think that alone makes people uncomfortable at times. People who think a person's overall worth is determined by their program or job are the ones to feel sorry for. It's a terrible, narrow-minded way to view the world.

At the end of the day it should be about who the person is but.....it's not.

There are general assumptions too based on appearance.

I sure don't look like I work in IT.

The general assumption would be, that I work in a cafe, or a music store.

So I guess that as well can have an affect.

If you look like the type who works in a certain field or trade then they expect you to be working in something close to you appearance.

most people are shallow. concerned with their own ego's. live lives that are self centered and they are so much better then who you are. like my ex's parents they are so concerned with money and think of it as a solve any problem just throw money at it and it will go away mentality. geeze they even wanted to pay for me to go to college..(wish she didnt leave!) but it made me feel horrible at the same time. because i was a cook for like 10 years. ef'n nutters!

people should genuinely care for one another but all its about is materialistic b.s. meh. so wut... that car will rust someday or that dollar will get lost or the boat gets a hole in it. i say who cares what the job is..some hate what they do. others dont. its about the people themselves. why judge what they do to stay alive.

I know a guy who tests games for a living, and everyone who hears about it says, 'oh its a hard life isn't it?

Thing is, they don't understand a lot of the things that go along with the job. Its a lot harder than it looks. He has to sort spreadsheets and write test plans and every time they find a bug write out the exact way to reproduce it, plus he has a team of 12 people he has to keep an eye on as well.

This guy doesn't have a degree, but hes been promoted once and just got offered another one.

Other peoples opinions don't matter. Most of the time they are ignorant

I work on cruise ships and I find it laughable how what your job is on the ship influences people. Because I'm young & a girl people assume straight away that I must work in the salon or shops onboard & don't want to know me but as soon as they find out I'm entertainment officer they suddenly respect me and want to know me.

I think I get a lot of male attention purely because I'm also the ship DJ and it makes me look cool or whatever. I even had the production manager say to me well one of the girls who works in the shops likes me but I would never go out with a shelf stacker. My female boss told me to always aim for 2 stripe officers and above when looking for a partner.

What I find really amusing is that these dried up old men on the ship have absolutely stunning women all over them just because they are high ranking officers and have important jobs on the ship, whereas in the real world no pretty young woman would be interested.

I think it's good that others look down on me for what I do. I believe it helps boost their ego, so I just think I am helping society in that way.

Seriously, do what you want in this life. Some people just enjoy looking down at others, so let them.

lol interesting way to put it... makes sense. (and the doing it to boost their own egos thing- almost definitely true)

and yes i get it a lot too. i've struggled to finish my college degree. it's taken me much longer than expected, and it's the same with that... i've had people act like they're better than me since they got their masters in less time than it's taken me to get my bachelor's... sorry i'm not as holier than thou as them- no wait, i'm not sorry. while said people might outdo me in the academic arena, i think i've got a leg up in open mindedness and reserving prejudices. while i'm plowing away at the last 2 classes to finally graduate, i'm already actively pursuing a career that is completely unrelated to my major in college (decided it really wasn't the right major for me but not until i'd already completed most of the requirements so i stuck with it) and in itself does not require a degree, but you know what? it's what seems to suit me, what i seem to be suited for, and is a potentially decent paying and definitely very important occupation.

and also in some cases i think it's because people want to associate with the most superficially prestigious people because they think it'll get them somewhere too. ("if i make friends with the lawyers/doctors/business execs, maybe they'll invite me to their exclusive country club"; "if i make friends with the club owner, maybe i can get in for free," etc).

It's especially bad during many job interviews. Mention you've had jobs that aren't prestigious for a job that is (even thought the jobs may be relevant to the position), and you'll likely invite the interviewer to assume many negative things about yourself unless you convince them otherwise. Some interviewers (and thankfully not all) have this cookie-cutter idea on what the candidate ought to be, as if a humble history is bad and that every job only grants you one kind of experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I can relate to this. I have been a security guard most of my life. I just took the job when I was young (19) and cannot get out of it. When I tell people what I do they usually say nothing or give me the "oh". At work I get called "rent a cop" "Flashlight cop" and worse. People assume I am lazy and unintelligent because of what I do. I like the solitude the job brings, but that is also the bad part because I never see many people, working nights, so I do not get to network to get out of the job. I am also going to college and it has taken so long I am embarrased to tell people how long I have been going to school. My degree is in Psychology so I get the "what are you going to with that?" response. So, the people you are talking about will always try to top you. If you were a doctor or lawyer they would ask you if you were this kind or other and tell you that wasn't good enough. Like the old song says "you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself".

Don't mean to twist the topic but I want to add another aspect to this very interesting thread.

What if you don't work at all? I'm a college student and even from family members I get this vibe like,

"oh.... he is in school, he doesn't work. He just lives with his parents and has no responsibilities and has an EASY life!"

I understand them in a way for judging as they've had hard back breaking work in construction or something physically difficult so in no way do I disrespect my Uncle's and what they do but I'm trying to get an education and just because I don't work doesn't mean I'm LAZY~!

-Rant Over-

my philosophy is tell people to shove it up where the sun dont shine.

If you work hard and truly enjoy what you do F* anyone who looks down on you. For instance: My friend has been a bartender all her life. She has put 2 kids through college. She owns a brand new SUV, she has a great retirement fund setup and owns her own house. She pays her bills, eats well, goes on nice vacations, and lives life to its fullest. I pity those who look down on others or rather those people who forget where they come from and because they have been fortunate and successful that they have to look down on others. Im young, I'm fortunate and successful, but I will never forget all the bs I had to do to get where I am nor will I ever look down on someone who chooses a field that they are happy with. To each their own.

I just want to say that I'm one of those people with "what are you going to do with that" response. It's not condescending or not meant to be. I'm just genuinely curious since in my field, the path is kind of set in stone. With the arts degree, people are a lot more creative and it's interesting to hear what they have planned.

Anywhooo, for my experience...

A lot of people look down on my mom and I because we were poor for so long. People at church (haha, church!) treated us like we were some leach of society although we're not. They also treated my friend and I like some sort of delinquent and told us we are not allowed to hang out with their kids... we were told we were shop-lifters and trouble-makers, but we were only 13 and didn't do much other than walk away when people mouth off to us. why let yourself be talked down to by a bunch of idiots? no ty.

Archived