Isn't not a good idea to tan with makeup on. Also they sell lotion at the salons, and I would never tan without it. It makes you tan faster and longer. I like to use bronzers- like Surfside beach and/or Butter. (they are name brands of lotions)

Panama Jack is a really good brand for tanning and soo is hawaiian tropic those are the 2 that i like to use the best....if u already have a base tan u could use baby oil but be very carfull with that bcuz u will burn really raelly bad if u have fair skin... the foundation situation i dont tan with it on but really i dont see why u wouldnt be able too....hope ur tanning goes well if u have ne more questions ill do my best to answer them!

fake baking as i call it ..i think its worthless....any type of tanning is dangerous these days i always lather up with the sunblock on hot sunny days..i dont see why people pay money to fry their flesh when they are so young and their skin is soft , smooth looking , and healthy ...live with ur ''paleness'' or unnoticeable tan lines...im sure ur gorgeous just the way you are ....why pay money to risk your health just to look good in a bathing suit or prom dress ...? TAKE CARE

If you don't like to "fake n bake" there are safer routes then to be white as a ghost- mystic tanning- costs around $25 per session- gets you tan, lasts about 10 days. I have done it once, worked pretty well but I stick to the cancer giver myself.

If it's the first time you only want to go in for about 7 minutes. They will tell you this when you go in. You have to work yourself up. Also never tan without lotion of some kind, the lotion reduces the risks of burning. You will probably get pink the first time. I would say go 7 minutes Wednesday and then again on Saturday for 10 minutes and then on Tuesdayfor 13 minutes. Keep that kind of pace up until you have your base tan, and then go twice a week. USE LOTION

I didn't mean to offend anyone by that, it was slang for the tanning in the bed. I am sorry and now see why you feel so strongly about it. I am sure it's not fun.

Also when you first get into the room- lock the door and then get undressed and put the lotion on. Push the start button and whalla.

have you heard about airbrush tanning it's very good and it has natural ingredients has some vegetable oil inside and some other natural and artificial ingrediants i tried it atleas 3 times itlast for about 1-2weeks and it's only one session it' like spray painting/ Airbrushing but it's on your body andu can choose what areas u prefer for example you plann to wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt u can just tell them to sspray the outside notyour bellyor back etc

I like it and it makes it look natural

I have never understood how going to the tanning beds for 7-15minutes does anything....

I went to Florida last summer, for two weeks before I went I sat outside for 30min each day and was still white as a ghost when I went... when we came home I just had a SLIGHT brown tint to me...

A girl I work with goes ONCE a week for 15min and she is pretty dark... how is that possible???

It's because you have to develop a base tan- some take longer then othes and some last longer then others. My best girlfriend can sit outside all day in direct sunlight and not tan ever! She stays the same color- I on the other hand can tan twice a week and stay tan all summer long! Just depends.

It's because the girl who gets dark with barely any exposure has more melanin ( a natural dark pigment brought out by the sun) in her skin than you do.

Tanning even artificially is dangerous, esp. if you have fair skin to start with. "fake & bake" causes skin cancer just as easily as being out in the sun, and a rising number of people are getting skin cancer at an earlier age, not to mention tanning gives you premature wrinkles.

Just some FYI.....

I used to use sun beds twice a week for a base in the summer for a bout two months but you see and read what they can do to you, its just not worth it,

i have been using Johnsons holiday skin lotion that you use once a day and it builds a fake tan gradually and it looks natural and is safe, you have to put it on every day thought, but id rather do that than fry my skin

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to ask a question

If your tanning do you wear any eye protection?

I was just outside catching the suns rays and my eyes went a bit woah from the sun. I couldnt even look up into the sky. I thinks it obvious that you shouldnt exactly wear sunglasses or anything because of tan marks but what are you suppose to do ?

Also i went on sunbeds recently which i havn't tried before and my skin became really itching and my legs were rashed. In total i've been on 2, 12 minutes sessions in a row.

E.G Friday 3.30 then the following next day Saturday 2.20.

The first time i was totally fine but then the second my skin reacted.

Should i completely avoid sunbeds or do you think this affect occurred due to not leaving an advised 24 hour gap in between each session?

I have decided I dont want to be white as a ghost this summer. I am going to start goingto the tanning salon... I am going to just buy the 100minute package and thats all i will do... I just want SOME colour... I know someone who tans so much I honestly thought she was a dark skinned or black person when I met her... it really freaks me out..

But I was also wondering if you wear eye protection.. and what kind of lotion do you have to use??? Sun Tan lotion? Any kind?

ALSO, is it really hot in there? does it feel weird??? I am getting a little scared...

I just wanted to say that I went to the tanning salon today for my first time. I bought the 100minute package and I started out today for 8 minutes only.

For anyone who had the same questions as I did (that no one answered above), they supplied me with eye protection and suggested that I dont go in without it. It wasnt hot, they had a fan blowing on me and I was in a medium intensity bed. There is a little thing beside the bed that they set with the amount of minutes you want and all you do is press start when you are ready.

I asked about the lotions. They told me that lotions are only used to make you get browner. They told me that for my first 4 times not to use anything, and if I want later I could purchase somehting from them. You arent allowed to bring outside lotions in, you must use something they have.

It was great, I dont see anything yet. The one girl I spoke to on the phone said I would leave today pink.... I dont think so...

I would NEVER go to a salon that MAKES you buy their lotions (that's now the salons make their money btw).

The tanning salon I go to sells lotions from $30-65 a bottle. I use Walmart brand lotion for .98 a bottle. I'm brown.

Aside from all that, I'm going to force myself to use self-tanniers/bronzers from now on. I just found a new spot on my face. Go look at an old person's face---see all those brown spots? That's from the sun. Only people are getting them earlier now thanks to tanning beds, sun worshipping and lack of ozone protection.

I know....I know....you're young. You'll worry about that stuff later. Don't feel bad. I wouldn't have listened to someone saying it when I was your age either.

Thanks for getting back to me. I will start to use lotions then. The sign says NO OUTDOOR lotions inside, but who cares, they wont know.

Do you just buy regular mosturizing lotion or are you talking about a tanning lotion? I have a great mosturizer that I use everyday. The girl told me to just put my cream all over my body before I come in. Is that good enough? If you are talking about a tanning lotion can you tell me what kind is good?

I am new to this whole thing, I have never done it before and I only plan on doing the 100 minutes and thats it... and who knows if I will next summer. I am just sick of being embarrassed of my white legs.

I know that the eye protection is there, and you are supposed to wear it but I just keep my eyes closed the entire time instead of having circles around my eyes.

When they say no outdoor lotions, they mean like stuff you would take with you to the beach because it will damage the clear plastic that you lay on. And they will know because they clean after every person and they will see the stain- that doesn't come up and will make you pay for another one- around $500.

I would recomend that you but one of the bottle of bronzers that they sell in the tanning salon- they work really well to keep your tan. I wouldn't ever recommend not using lotion- EVER. That will just make you burn- and that's not what you want, you want to tan. However whether you use lotion or not the first few times you will be pinkish.

So, so I should buy bronzer that they have? When I asked about lotions they had bottles behind me but she didnt say anything about those.. she pointed to little packets that were $10 each. I looked fine before but ya, i think I am pinkish now.

Should I moisturize well before I go to the tanning salon?

Sorry, I have never even considered doing this before now I dont exactly know what I should be doing or putting on my skin.

Buy their lotions if you insist, but you're wasting your money. I've never known anyone to have to pay for a tanning bed. I would advise not using oils though. And lotions you buy at the store are NOT going to ruin their tanning beds. It's just plexyglass---you know, that stuff you see on storm doors?

For the past 4 years I have used St Ives Colagen Elastin Extra Relief lotion for extra dry skin. I LOVE IT! I use it on my face at night, I use it on my arms and legs after a shower and on my hands in the winter when they get extremely dry and cracked. It smells great and makes me feel silky smooth. I will just use that. I can not afford to be buying $60 lotions, and I am very picky. I have used SOO many before I found this one that I like for my hands (get really dry in the winter).

Should I put in on at home before going to the tanning salon and then when I get home, or take it to the salon and and put it on right before I go in????

thanks, thats so much help... i will put on extra lotion now that i will be tanning. but i wont be tanning alot.. hopefully the 9 times i have prepaid for will be enough.

my bf's roommates ex goes ALOT.. i am serious.. she must go 4 times a week AT LEAST!

She is so dark its sickening.. her skin must feel sick!

I have to admit though, I dont drink alot of water, but right now I am dying of thirst

I've gone pretty often sometimes. But then not gone for months. Today was the last day for it though. I can't say that I've cancelled though---I just put my membership on "freeze" for now (I pay a monthly fee for unlimited tanning per month). I still look young for my age (probably thanks to not tanning much when i was younger) but I'm not going to push it.

Have you heard of those tanning pills? I saw them at the vitamin store and I was told that a lot of people really like them but I wasn't sure about trying them.

I have never heard of those.... I am all new to the whole tanning thing... all my life I had never tanned... like sit out in the sun to tan.. I have been out and gotten burns.. probably once per year.. and then the burn turns into tan..

Im pretty excited about tanning... my bf is too... i just hope my skin can stay nice and soft...

I know you're only 21 and getting old is a long way off and at your age, you feel invincible. But you WILL damage your eyes by not using eyewear. Closing your eyes isn't enough. Do you want to be a blind person?

No actually I don't feel invincible, but I know that I would rather not have circles then have them. I don't really think that it's possible to damage your eyes when they aren't even open.

So, so I should buy bronzer that they have? When I asked about lotions they had bottles behind me but she didnt say anything about those.. she pointed to little packets that were $10 each. I looked fine before but ya, i think I am pinkish now.

Should I moisturize well before I go to the tanning salon?

Sorry, I have never even considered doing this before now I dont exactly know what I should be doing or putting on my skin.

I would reccomend that you buy the bronzer lotions. Just for the record most bronzers contain Liposomes- which are super-soluble tyrosine tanning enhancers and anti-aging, skin firming ingredience.

Walmart, St.Ives and such lotions do not contain things to enhance your tan. Also, if you read on the directions for outdoor tanning products they say not to use on indoor tanning- they will stain the plastic as you can ask anyone that works at a salon. Regular lotion- St.Ives does not stain- however it also doesn't have the extra ingredience to make your tan last longer or be darker.

I usually take a shower and apply regular lotion (St.Ives 24 hour moisture) all over my body. Then I go to the tanning salon and put on the bronzer lotion (Surfside beach and Butter are two really good ones) . I let the tan soak in until I take another shower and lotion with St.Ives again. This way you are always moisturized and you are using the correct lotions at the correct times.

I go often because my career depends on my looks, if I were doing something wrong I wouldn't get jobs. Just stay moisturized!! Happy tanning!