unhappy, needs a change.

i work as a cashier at a very popular grocery/department store. I had worked there for about two months, and then i decided to go back to school, believing i could handle both. I worked 30-35 hours a week. School started i took on 4 classes, (its my 2nd quarter in community college) and school plus working started to drain me, and i was falling behind in school. I was trying to tell my manager that I need to cutback hours he told me i couldnt, i was on the verge of quitting, but then two days later i find out hes transferring to another store and we were getting a new manager, but i had made up my mind i was going to quit and focus 100% on school. I wrote a nice letter to the new manager (who i hadn't even met...lol) explaining my focus is school and the previous manager would not work with my schedule so i am quitting blah blah stuff like that. I met her two days after i left the letter, i said i would finish the week out, she met me, she was really nice and said she was sorry i was leaving, she asked me what i was going to do for summer..i told her that i would have to get a job since i wont be attending school full time so my parents want me to work cause i live at home still. She told me maybe she can work something out where i could work like one or two days a week so i could stay and come back full or part time in the summer.

I told her i didn't know that was possible and i accepted her offer and thanked her. My parents were pleased, everything was good. But time passed on and im sorta the black sheep at work now, people dont really talk to me, and aren't really nice, one of the assistant matters doesnt like me because i called in sick a few weeks back when i was working 30 hours and she couldnt find anyone to cover my shift and she begged me to come to work because she would of had to stay late (i prety sick and i also sorta lost my voice.....you don't work in grocery when you are sick..so shes stupid) i told her no, and now she just gives me looks and she used to be all upbeat and nice when she talked to me now shes like really short and cold sounding. Also people always ask me about my schedule...asking why i work one day and such, when its none of their business, the whole atmosphere sucks there, this new guy there..the first time i met him he talked about picking up women and sex and threesomes..RANDOMLY talks about this...i was shocked.... i felt really uncomfortable....im 18....hes like 35...first time i ever talked to him...I told him i couldnt talk about this and i started to avoid him, he hasnt said anything since. They also tell me one thing and they do another, and then they get mad at me, this is my first job...maybe its like this everywhere..but ..i cant stand it anymore, one day a week blows, i want to try some place neww.

I already have in mind another place to work, i was told by someone that i pretty much will get the job if i apply. I have work tomorrow, so i am hoping it will be my last day, the only thing is that i feel bad about taking my managers offer (and she is really nice and cool towards me) and then end up leaving because she gave it to me so i could stay there.....they also are understaffed right now and need more cashiers. its just that im not sure what i should say for quitting, i want to leave on good terms, but i feel like im screwing them over in some aspects. i want to be able to have them as a reference if i need it...since i have never had a job before. what should i say to my manager?

Yep quit.

There usually is drama at a work place. Some more than others.

But if you are unhappy there & you have been for quite some time. Than differently it's time for change.

I'd tell your manager. I'd like to give my notice. Thank you so much for accomidating me with the shifts I really appreciated it. However I feel it's time for me to make a change in my life. it was really nice meeting you & working with you. And if possible could I use you as a reference if needed in your future?

Don't feel guilty, you're only working one shift so it should be easy to fill that. I wish you luck & happiness (:

Archived