I'll try to summarize things and keep this short.

I'm a junior in high school and I've been suspended for 10 days because I was high (on xanax) at school. I have 7 classes and I was already failing 2 of them, 2 others were D's. When I get back to school because of the 10 days gone I will surely be failing every class.

Honestly, because of my depression and everything else wrong with me, going on with me, I just really don't see myself having the motivation to be able to get all my grades up after this. And come back next year for my senior year on top of everything.

I'm trying to stay rational and at least keep in mind that despite the pointlessness of school in the great scheme of things, I need to graduate or get my ged to be able to support myself in the future.

If I want to go take my ged, how long will it take to get it? How hard is it? I'm wanting advice from people who have got their ged, explain the details of it to me, your experience with it, etc.

I've written before about my drug use, depression, etc. Please spare me the lectures on that at the moment, I already have people trying to help me as far as that goes. I just need advice about my education.

Thanks.

-E.

Well, I don't have my GED but I have lots of friends who have gotten them.

I live in Michigan so it may vary. But as to how difficult it is--everyone says it's unbelievably easy in comparison to regular school.

On average, it took them a few months to complete.

I haven't done it but I few of my friend have.

For most places in Canada, you have to be 18 & out of school for a year to tke it. It cost approx 80$ for the test, they write twice every year. You prepare yourself for it (maybe some places have classes) but i've only known of the study yourself method.

Here is a link to the Ontario site. Not sure where your from, but this gives you an idea of what it is like. If you download the information booklet, it gives you EVERYTHING you need to know. including how long each portion of the test is.

link removed

Honestly, because of my depression and everything else wrong with me, going on with me, I just really don't see myself having the motivation to be able to get all my grades up after this. And come back next year for my senior year on top of everything.

because of this, i would suggest, if you are taking the next 2 years off. Take the time to take care of yourself & improve things for yourself. Because if you find you dont have the motivation now, if you stay on this path...you definietly won't have the motivation in 2 years from now.

Take care of yourself hun....You are obviously an intelligent women with so many options....dont' waste it away.

Hugs & smiles

I know you didn't want to hear it....but i had to say it, no judgement....cause I've been there

A high school degree is better than a GED.

A college degree trumps them both.

If you were planning to continue your education, in your situation I would suggest taking your GED. If you don't plan on going to college or plan on going to a college with very competitive admissions I would suggest getting your diploma.

I have a GED, and I'd like to give you some warnings.

First, while the GED is legally equivalent to a diploma, it's not equal in the eyes of employers. It's not about education; it's about character. The view of dropouts is that they're probably flawed in some way; lazy, or immature, or irresponsible, can't work with others, can't finish anything long term. And those biases carry over to GED holders, because after all, a GED holder is a dropout who had second thoughts.

The military (which originally instigated the GED) now has limits on the number of GED holders they'll let in because they've discovered that GED holders fail at the same rate as dropouts. In fact, studies have shown that GED holders have the same life outcome as dropouts. That alone should discourage you from taking the shortcut.

In my experience, it's not hard to get one, just a few tests that weren't too terribly hard, but I'd only recommend going for one if you're positively going to get further education afterward. That *might* overshadow your failure to stick out high school.

• Like 1

What I'd suggest doing is finding out where the tests for the GED are offered in your area and make an appointment to speak with someone. If the choices are between quitting school and doing nothing or getting a GED, I'd recommend the GED - it's the path I was forced to take, and I've had no real repercussions from it. Going to a community college now and nicely maintaining a 4.0. I would suggest staying in high school if you have any choice in the matter - I didn't, and wish I had been able to finish high school. But I disagree with the fatalistic view shown in SquareWheel's post, and find it honestly quite demeaning and discouraging. There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed about if you have a GED, and it is always better to have a GED than to just be someone who left highschool.

My sister got her GED...said it was the worst dang decision she ever made! When people hear you have a GED, the first thing they think is that if you don't have the sticktoitivness to finish high school, what makes you think you can finish a job.

College on a GED is even harder! Dozens of remedial classes, just so that you can start your core work!

Don't do it. Even if it dang near kills you, get the diploma.