7 year age gap

Hi,

I have exactly the same age gap as you, seven years. I met my boyfriend when I was 16 and he was 23, but we didn't begin dating until the summer before I left for University--I was 18, he was 25. We've been dating nearly a year now.

So trust me, I understand the torture. During those two years that we were friends, I had romantic feelings for him, but I knew I couldn't pursue it--regardless of how great a guy I know he is, I knew the police would definitely not see it that way.

But that turned out to be a blessing. Instead of jumping right into a relationship (since we couldn't), we took the time to develop a very deep friendship based on communication, trust, and strictly friend-related activities. When we actually started dating, that made everything much better, because we'd already laid the foundation of a great lasting friendship.

So my advice is to wait. I know 3 years seems like an eternity--and by then, you may have found another guy . If not, then (and only then) pursue things with this guy. For now, think of it as nothing more than a friendship. No harm no foul in that.

To the OP, leave him alone and find someone your own age. You're going to get this guy in bad trouble if you pursue this.

Uh, no. SHE would not be getting the guy in trouble. HE would be getting himSELF in trouble if he pursued it or reciprocated anything. A man of 22 should know better than to go there with a 15 year old girl. If he did anything, it would be his own fault. You're making it sound as if he couldn't help but react or have sex with her just because she has a crush on him. A normal man of that age wouldn't be attracted to a child.

Yes, Him kissing her would be considered a sex crime. Atleast thats how it is here in the State of NC. My best friends cousin went to jail for making "sexual advances"(kissing) to his gf at the time who was 15 when he was 19. It's also hard to believe that a 23 year old male who im pretty sure has been sexually active prior to this day is going to hold out for 3 years because his gf isnt quite legal yet. More than likely they will end up doing it and just trying to hide it.

16 is not the legal age in NC, 18 is. I live here. So what are you talking about???

16 is the legal age of consent in North Carolina.

You're right Mythical, after reading your post I was confused and have been googling this for the past 10 minutes. I apologize. However if a person is 5 years above (over 21) then it is a crime. Like my sister and her boyfriend, for example. When she was 16 he was having sex with her and he was 27. This is wrong. I think the age of consent should be changed to 18. I am shocked & dismayed to find that it is 16 here.

I know you would not agree because you have an age gap relationship, and I don't mean to be offensive. But I think the law needs to protects girls & guys so young, such as the case with my sister and BF. I consider that sexual exploitation and wrong, just wrong.

No offense taken as I know my relationship is something that you dont find very often with age gap relationships. As for the 5 year age gap, that is only with 15 and up. If this wasnt the case my bf would have been jailed al ong time ago as my mother tried pressing charges on him when I got pregnant and I had to go in front of a judge and tell him it was consentual and was told since I was at the age of "consent" there was nothing my parents could do unless I claimed rape. I was 16 and he was 23 at the time.

• 2 weeks later...