Frustrated with Learning Disabiltiy

I have dyslexia and for the most part I do ok with it. Its very mild but does affect certain aspects of my current job.

I make minor errors that look like I'm careless or just plain dumb. One of my major problems is proof reading. I proof...don't see errors and when i hand my work in ...there's errors.

I find it utterly frustrating and it wreaks havoc on my self esteem with regards to my job.

It also causes a bit of anxiety when i'm performing certain job functions that require me to "proof read" work.

I've only been with my current employer for about 3 months.. .i was at my last job for 5 years. I know i'm a good worker.

However, i just got my 3 month review...everything was good except "Quality of Work" ..the issue being proof reading.

Do i tell my current employer that i have dyslexia or do i keep it to myself and just learn to deal with the criticism?

Does anyone have dyslexia and know some tricks that could possibly help me in this area?

I'm so frustrated by this ..i could just cry.

Hey there,

Don't cry

I do think it might be best to tell your employer so that they understand the reason for the MINOR clerical mistakes in your work ...

Also, maybe you can ask a close colleague to glance over some of the *major* reports you have to turn in and I suppose you already use Spellcheck as well?

Hugs to you,

Ellie

I would definitely let your employer know. That way, s/he will be more understanding and not let the mistakes reflect poorly on you. You are a good worker, so your employer should be willing to help you find ways to avoid these mistakes (maybe have someone else proof your stuff?) and do your job as well as you are capable of doing it!