what to do career wise?

I'm very confused at the moment. I'm on the final year of my degree in journalism/writing and I don't really want to get into the industry anymore. I felt this way half way through but carried on because I had come so far so thought I might aswell finish. Everyone on my course is so enthusiastic and shocked that haven't begun an important project.

I continually drift from one career aspiration to another. I have just been at college/uni so far in my life and horrible part time jobs. I dread the idea of working but I know I need to! I really love wildlife and conservation but I don't want to start yet another course.

Does anyone have a similar problem? Or ideas?

I think you should get out of journalism asap.

Journalism is soooo tough. You have to work really hard and build up your own portfolio and do unpaid work and, even then, it's really hard to make a career out of. You have to be super motivated. I have a friend who graduated from a degree in journalism 2 years ago and she is very hard working and motivated. She is still working hard on it (recently published an article on the front page of Hong Kong's largest newspaper) but she cleans people's houses full time. And she's motivated and driven. You're not.

Hi,

I'm on the final year of my degree in journalism/writing and I don't really want to get into the industry anymore.

I think this is fairly common. Not necessarilly the journalism part, but studying something for X amount of years and then wanting something else. I'm 25, have a job in the area I majored in, like it, but still speak with others in the office about what we want to do when we grow up. Most of us want to get into something else, or a niche within our industry. We're still young and narrowing down our interests, while making money and gaining experience. Keep in mind that school is not like work. There are many people who loved a major and then hated the career, and vice versa. You never know.

Either way, just finish up your degree. Journalism is a soild major and you can spin it in so many different ways in most areas of work. More than likely you have solid research, analysis, and writing skills. These are a great foundation for so many different types of jobs. As an example, I work in finance and someone in my firm majored in cultural anthropology as an undergrad. I'm not sure how he spun that, but he is social, trilingual and studied at a top university outside of the U.S. I'm sure these other areas helped him out, but just keep in mind that you are not limited to what you majored in. I've met other people that work in a field completely different in what they studied, but the skills you learn along the way are transferable.

Journalism is soooo tough. You have to work really hard and build up your own portfolio and do unpaid work and, even then, it's really hard to make a career out of. You have to be super motivated.

I'm not too familair with journalism career paths, and I know some careers are tougher than others, but I do believe that if you want to be really successful in any area of work, then you'll need to make sacrifices and have a great deal of motivation. For most, success does not come very easily. Any expert in a certain field always cites how it was hard work that got them to where they are at now.

I'd say keep up with your grades your final year, and start exploring things you are interested in or passionate about. Libraries and bookstores have many books on helping you narrow down things that are based off your skills and interests. It might be a good plaace to start.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Hi,

You have re-motivated me poloplayer, thank you!

Your welcome! Not sure what I exactly said, but glad you found something in my post of use.

Have you tried your university's advising, career guidance, or co-op offices?

These are good suggestions. You have tons of resources. Use all of your avenues in your free/down time. Take care of your grades and responsibilities, but actively research.

Also, I'd recommend speaking with someone who works in the field you are considering. I think most people (myself included) have a grandiose imagination of what a job will be like. Sadly, a vivid imagination spells disaster once you have been on the job for a while and you realize that it isn't the fairy tale you imagined. Others can slap you with a reality check. I'm not trying to be a debbie-downer with this, in fact, it's just the opposite. I've met way too many people who studied something and then couldn't wait to start to job, and then hated it. All of them never really knew what that job was like day to day, and the day to day "work" didn't quite mesh with what they planned/hoped for. It wasn't until I was in the real world that I realized what the purpose of "job shadowing" was back in high school. I thought it was justa great way to get out of school for a day .