New Knowledgeable Supervisor - how to deal

Two weeks ago I was told by our company president that they created a new position and have hired someone for it (Marketing/PR). This person is to be my supervisor. I've worked in my position for 2.5 years and have pretty much created my own department per say... (I was hired to be our company's web designer (part of the computer dept), but instead I have expanded my horizons into being a "all around graphic designer" including print... the web site has gotten to be on the back burner - which I have a degree in from the IT program at a community college)

Anyway the girl that they have hired for the Marketing/PR position has a bachelors degree in Journalism and Advertising with a minor graphic design and a master's in Multimedia and has a lot of past experience under her belt. I also just found out through a friend of mine tonight that she has a side business of being a professional photographer.

I'm scared for my position even though I've been told that I'm suppose to still be doing the "creative" part. But I've been told that the girl they hired has 2 pages of requests, including more graphic software then what I have. I feel that if she has more schooling and graduating from an intense graphic design program, I have no chance in being the "creative one". (I find it hard to come up with creative ideas as it is.)

When she starts, how am I suppose to tell her that "yes I have a web design degree and yes I was hired to do the web site and yes it looks like it was built in 1997, but I haven't had time to work on it".

I've tried not to express my concerns to my fellow co-workers, but it' hard not to. Our HR director has told me that this girl will be too busy working on "other projects" to take anything away from me. But all of my projects are suppose to be filtered though her now so I'm wondering if some of them will.

Because I have been the only one in my position, I am use to putting 50 hours in a week and was put on salary about a year ago, because I proved to them that I couldn't work any less then that. But supposedly after this girl starts, I won't have to work as many hours. I just bought a house a few months ago and can't afford to take a pay cut.

I have about 3 weeks until she starts... Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this situation? How should I introduce myself and explain what to her what I do? Should I be upfront and be open with her and express my fears of loosing the privileges that I've grown accustom to (attending annual meetings, taking pictures at company events, etc )

I'm trying to stay positive about this thinking I might have someone that will side with me on things that I need for my position (training, books etc), but I'm also afraid that I'm going to look incompetent for my position.

I also do a lot of personal side projects for owers. I have a feeling that because this girl has more knowledge and probably better design concepts then I, I might loose out on being able to do these side projects. My father told me that I'm respected by the family and that they like me a lot and I fit in (and she may not) so shouldn't worry about it.. but I do anyway.

Any suggestions would be helpful.. I'm kinda at a lost...

Thanks!

Best you can do at present is take it somewhat on faith that the HR director is serious in saying the new hire will have other projects to work on and assume that is the case.

Just because you think she has more creativity doesn't mean she actually does. You won't know until she's been there for a while.

This type of hiring is not particularly uncommon in business. Try not to start off on the wrong foot.

I'm unclear on the 50 hours per week and how it relates to your house purchase and overtime pay. Are you saying you financed your house based on an expected income including overtime for a total paycheck based on a 50 hour week? Is so that's always a bit dangerous as continued overtime shouldn't be considered a given.

What is your present supervisor's thinking on the company website? Maybe this is something you should address with her/him before the new hire arrives so you can find out if management has any concerns.