Therapist? Psychologist?

I've been on this site for a while. Since September, I believe. Since joining, I have gotten so much out of giving people my advice and insight.

In fact, it has made me consider going into psychology, like both of my parents, and becoming a therapist or psychologist.

What do you guys think? I think I have good insight and as unbiased as possible....

I think it would be a very rewarding career.

Actually it's a PhD to become a psychologist...you could also look at becoming a counsellor or something.

Either way you know better than us what your good at - so if you think you'd enjoy it, go for it!

I wanted to be a therapist, but didn't wanna go to school for that long, so i'm becoming an occupational therapist...also involving mental health.

There are lots of mental health professions! A good site is link removed - it describes occupations. It's a Canadian site, but either way, it gives good info.

As long as you are willing to put the time and effort in, go for it. Do research from the beginning, try to write an undergraduate thesis and graduate with honors in your major, if possible. Go for a BS in psychology instead of a BA, even though it means taking slightly harder classes. Doing those things make it easier to apply directly to a PhD program (you'll get a non-terminal masters). You'll save a lot of time compared to getting the masters and then the PhD. Plus, you'll get clients sooner that way (usually after your first year of graduate school).

Yeah, my husband is pursuing a PhD in clinical psychology right now. While all of his classmates were slacking off, he worked really hard. Earning a psychology degree can be as easy or as challenging as you make it, and he chose to make it as difficult as he could. It's paid of, however, because he was accepted in to the same PhD program as students who had already gotten masters degrees at other schools. He'll graduate when they do in spite of the fact that he'll have been in school for 2 - 3 years less than they were.

Goodluck with it! As far as finding people to pay for the program, when you do get to graduate school, try to find a school that funds its students. My husband is a research assistant, so most of his tuition is paid for by a research grant. It doesn't pay for everything, but he also gets a stipend that helps out so the school related expenses that fall on us are not nearly as bad as they could be.