Changing One's Religion/Faith: From Christianity to...?

Hi everyone I'm at a point in life where my wonderings in the "spiritual" desert has led me to realise I don't believe in the faith I was raised in (Christianity). Of course that is not to say I don't believe in G_d because I do. I just find that the teachings/beliefs of another religion seem to resonate better with me (or is it my soul?).

As I'm sure there are many who have experienced this, it would be great if you could share your story with me! Did you eventually convert to the religion? How did your family and friends react? How have you handled living with a new faith? Has there been people who now view you differently because of it?

But perhaps all you know is religion anyway, and have not connected with the truth behind Christianity. That is Jesus has risen from the dead and is alive. The Tomb is empty. Too many churches preach a dead religion - but it's not alive and I can understand why some people brought up in the wrong church would want to change religions. Just consider that your actions may be a bit extreme, and perhaps you could try other sects of Christianity that would believe in the Baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in other tongues (other than your native language), and that believe fully in the death and ressurection of Christ and are IMPASSIONED about it.

If I was brought up in dead religion, I too would likely be seeking elsewhere, so I feel for your position.

For me I wasn`t really raised in one religion, though I wouldn`t say I was ever athieist. I read picture books of a couple of different religions when I was still young, then pondered the big questions in life in my early teens. I`m sure my parents were a bit worried but they just kind of sat back, answered any questions they could and let me choose. In reading around a bit I eventually found a set of ideas that made sense to me. I always stayed open and flexible and when I stumbled onto something else that also made sense, I would learn about that too. On the other hand, if a certain idea or practice didn`t feel right after taking a look into it, I would let it go. Sort of like adjusting a diet i guess.

There are lots of wise ways of thinking and living, but at the core, most major religions and life philosophies tend to try to help you realise the same basic thing. Love and happiness and how to do it harmoniously. It`s just a matter of how they choose to formalise it, or ritualise it, or symbolise it, detailise (?) it, or teach it, or get you to conceptualise it or learn it. So what ends up on the surface can seem quite different, and this is where you might find that one body of ideas clicks better with you than another.

In terms of family and friends, I live in quite an areligious society, so people tend to be pretty accepting of what you practice. Now that I think about it, it`s not really something that I`ve really wanted to talk about with other people, so I don`t know what my friends and family believe. I guess I hope that people can see where my heart is from my actions.

Good luck Follow your heart/spirit/soul.

All religions have the same purpose, so I don't think I'd bother changing. Finding faith, however, is well-worthwhile. There is only one God, after all. It's not like you get a different one when you switch religions, only a clearer picture of who S/He is.

I often hear people talk about switching religions; the thing is, God isn't a religion.

Go with what feels natural for you. Perhaps you could look into Buddhism, which is based more on doctrinal roots that emphasize good deeds and awareness of your thoughts and actions as an influence on others. I am a Buddhist (fairly new), and could help you out a little if you need to know anything about it (well, anything to my knowledge, as I am always learning something new).

I do not believe in G_d and/or supernatural forces that dictate our lives, but I do believe that if we have the motivation and natural inspiration to change, great things can happen on many levels.

All religions are very similar you will find.

Juliana's spot on. When easyguy says all religons are similar, this is also very true. My advice, don't define yourself with a religon or set of rigid, stale concepts. You can only know for certain that you're alive and so have a life to live. Whether there's a past life, a heaven or hell, these are things you may or may not find out and whether you do or not doesn't really matter that much.

Juliana, I agree with you - that all religion have the same purpose. However, each faith/religion has a different way of relating to G_d and people through its ideology and obligations. Should I then continue to go to church and utter words which conceptualise G_d in a way I don't believe in? Even if I have faith in the same G_d as Judaism or Islam? For example, some Christian sects believe that unless you're a Christian, you cannot be "saved" and are condemned to a life in hell. I surely don't believe that but should I continue to call myself "Christian" if I don't?

I've had this issue in the last 2-3 years and yet, every religion (which I love researching religions, btw, it is my hobby) that I've bothered to really try to get into...I'll all of a sudden run into their weaknesses and inconsistencies...

I'm not saying that this discredits religion...but a lot of religions are very very old (not to mention having been filtered through books and word of mouth) and many people do things without thinking about them first...or some things I believe have been taken a bit out of context and/or applied too much importance to.

I still believe in God as I was raised, but, I am always open minded about new ways to look at it all...I believe that there is a power that made everything, and I believe in certain ways of living (without judging others)...I try to build on that.

Just my two cents.

BTW, hi, I'm new.

By the way, if you are interested in something "new" or "different", I recently read an article about eckankar...(I was going to give you a link but it says I'm not allowed, but I'm sure it's easy to look up)

It's seems to be a variation on Christianity that also takes wisdom from different religions as well.

I don't know a whole lot about it yet, but seems interesting.

I was the same then I went to China and had a look at Taoism, one of the two great religious/philosophical systems of China, I have never looked back, for me it gives a center to my life and dos not conflict with my scientific principles or the Scientific method. That is what i found so hard with big books of gods and there religions the fact that evidence or the lack of it, was ignored for the sake of belief, and with the rise of religious fundamentalism some would kill then see proff.

See if any and all the big books of god stated with statment then well I would be inpresed

Please usE the Scientific method with this book.

Scientific method is a body of techniques for investigating phenomena and acquiring new knowledge, as well as for correcting and integrating previous knowledge. It is based on gathering observable, empirical, measurable evidence, subject to the principles of reasoning[1].

Although procedures vary from one field of inquiry to another, there are identifiable features that distinguish scientific inquiry from other methods of developing knowledge. Scientific researchers propose specific hypotheses as explanations of natural phenomena, and design experimental studies that test these predictions for accuracy. These steps are repeated in order to make increasingly dependable predictions of future results. Theories that encompass wider domains of inquiry serve to bind more specific hypotheses together in a coherent structure. This in turn aids in the formation of new hypotheses, as well as in placing groups of specific hypotheses into a broader context of understanding.

Among other facets shared by the various fields of inquiry is the conviction that the process must be objective so that the scientist does not bias the interpretation of the results or change the results outright. Another basic expectation is that of making complete documentation of data and methodology available for careful scrutiny by other scientists and researchers, thereby allowing other researchers the opportunity to verify results by attempted reproduction of them. This also allows statistical measures of the reliability of the results to be established. The scientific method also may involve attempts, if possible and appropriate, to achieve control over the factors involved in the area of inquiry, which may in turn be manipulated to test new hypotheses in order to gain further knowledge.

From

link removed

Then we can get started, take out all this bits that dont work any more and put in new ones that have been tested and seen to work.

But alass there fixed wile we are not nore the world around us so as time passes the big books of good seem more and more out of tuch

that is until some one comes along and says gods talking to them again and there going to make a new book and for a time that one stands.

All the time thows who used the Scientific_method are unlocking the univease.

So why do I have faith and faith in the Dao, well all I can say is for me the two are one and as such befor one can seek one must has wonder.

Im I saying you are wrong to have have faith in your god or gods, no not at all. Im I saying you need religen to be a good human no not that.

All I am saying is we walk a path and each step we take give meaing to who and what we are, the muttaring of words wile we walk has

very little to do with the steps we take, it is always what we do that counts not what we say.

"However, each faith/religion has a different way of relating to G_d and people through its ideology and obligations. Should I then continue to go to church and utter words which conceptualise G_d in a way I don't believe in? Even if I have faith in the same G_d as Judaism or Islam? For example, some Christian sects believe that unless you're a Christian, you cannot be "saved" and are condemned to a life in hell. I surely don't believe that but should I continue to call myself "Christian" if I don't?"

You are kind of missing the point, which happens alot. There are no words that define God; there are only ways of coming to God, or denying God. Someone else's concept of God is neither here nor there to you, really.

"My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue, but in deed and in truth." 1 John 3:18

The fact that you are roaming around looking for the "right" religion concerns me. What human institution do you imagine has captured the essense of God? Faith is a matter of turning your heart to truth and goodness; not of finding the right mantra or creed to repeat. Can you do the deeds of faith? Do you imagine you will find a religion that will suggest you do anything other than love other people, provide for the poor, tell the truth, keep yourself from selfishness and destructive behaviours? What God are you hoping to find in your new church?

You may be unhappy with the behaviour of the people who profess your religion; that's your right. Jesus was very unhappy with the Pharisees. He did not, however, blame that on the religion of Moses.

I don't really understand the relationship between Taoism and scientific principles....could you explain some more? (sorry, I love talking about this stuff)

They seem to me to have a lot of odd (yet always explainable) traditions and rituals like many other old religions...but then again there seem to be many different sects and variances on Taoism.

As for myself, I was always taught to question Science...and also being into alternative medicine and other things, I can still only trust such things so much.

the muttaring of words wile we walk has

very little to do with the steps we take, it is always what we do that counts not what we say.

I agree wholeheartedly!

One thing I've realized growing up in a Baptist family (including church and school) is that every group of people is entirely unique unto themselves.

If there is hypocrisy and discontent in your church, but you still want to follow your path....find a better church....(or anything that feels right for you)

If you can't find it, worshiping or studying at home is just as acceptable...you don't have to have a label or a group for reassurance...fancy services are never required.

Sorry, I'm talking too much.

Dear Julianna, I think you misunderstand me. Everything you have written is valid and like I said, I agree with you! So no, I don't imagine that any religion will ask me to do anything else other than "love other people, provide for the poor, tell the truth, keep from selfishness and destructive behaviour".

Let me put a hypothetical before you. I do the "deeds" of kindness and goodness etc. - I respect my parents, I give to charity, I forgive, I do what is "right" most of the time. I go to church every Sunday but I don't believe that Jesus is G_d as man. Yet I sing the songs that praise him as redeemer and saviour. I pray using the sign of the cross yet I don't believe that G_d is a trinity - He is one entity and not divisble. I feel like G_d must think I'm a hypocrite and a liar because I continue to celebrate Easter and Good Friday despite my lack of believe in the principles that underlie these festivals. What is it that you would advice me to do now? Should I continue in the religion I was brought up in or should I "roam" around to find one that might agree with me?

I'm not here to debate the validity of religion, the wisdom of changing faiths or the ideals of faith itself. I started this thread to hear from others who like me have reached such a crossroads in life. Like you said, finding faith is worthwhile - that I already have. To follow a religion in expression of that faith? Some people regard changing beliefs as a time waster. To others like myself, it is a journey one must take because it speaks as part of our identity.

My sincere apologies if I have offended anyone as it was not my purpose to do so.

"I'm not here to debate the validity of religion, the wisdom of changing faiths or the ideals of faith itself. I started this thread to hear from others who like me have reached such a crossroads in life."

Then I don't think I can be of much help to you. For someone who claims not to have found a religion, you are very exact in your differences from Christianity: You honour Christ, but do not believe he was the saviour, you do not believe in the Trinity, and you believe that the word "God" must be written out with the vowel missing. Certainly if you wanted to go towards the Eastern religions, which de-personalize the concept of God, you wouldn't be concerned with offending Him. Her. It.

So, if that helps you any, congratulations: You're a Muslim.

I don’t won’t to divert Cyndane main thread herjazz but ill will respond as best I can.

"I don't really understand the relationship between Taoism and scientific principles"

There “Relationship” as such is that to me the don’t counter each other,

one can be both a philosophical Taoist and not compromise scientific principle’s.

"They seem to me to have a lot of odd (yet always explainable) traditions and

rituals like many other old religions...but then again there seem to be many

different sects and variances on Taoism. "

There are that’s why I said religious/philosophical system

for me it is the pour philosophical form of Taoism that has meaning.

"As for myself, I was always taught to question Science...and also being

into alternative medicine and other things, I can still only trust such things so much."

Are you questioning the Science if so that is very good, all good scientist have

to be a Skeptic and be Skeptical of there own work before any other,

its a key part of the Scientific method

Or are you saying you are being Skeptical of the Scientific method?

If so I would like to know on what grounds.

Remember that the burden of proof is on you to prove its wrong

if you do then Scientific method will change

thats what it dos.

For me Taoism is the wonder to seek before the work starts of looking,

but thaws are just words and as words have limits and as many here

will say of there gods they are beyond words so why bind your self to them.

Some times it seems to me that arguments over religion is like the passengers

in a car arguing over which of there read maps gets them to the destination best.

Meny say that to use of anothers map may get you there but its will be of know use as

you did not go the right way, odd but true.

I would like to think that any Taoist in the car would be far too busy enjoying the view

on the trip to get involved in map picking.

Carl Marx said that religion was the opium of the people. Hence a major key to the world's woes. Beleiving is a far different thing than having a religion. True believers are sharp and not a bunch of sheep who believe everything a preacher says. You have to look in the Bible and find YOUR revelation EVEN if it is different from what the oldies say. Question EVERYTHING. If you do not have a personal conviction of Jesus you will turn into another clone. The purpose of the resurrection was that EVERY individual had access to God and can find the freedom to live a full life. I have seen a lot of wrong done because of supposed revealtions.. BEWARE!! All the best in your quest.

I was raised Catholic. Although I've abandoned virtually all ritualistic practices associated with the religion, as well as denounced most of its basic tenets, I never sat on a rooftop to spread my word (hehe).

I have talked with my family and close friends about my beliefs, and you'd be surprised at how many other people in this world question the faith that they grew up with. Some people have agreed with most of what I've said/thought, others agreed with some things, and then some disagreed with me completely. No big deal. I don't know, maybe it's just where I live. I can't say that I live in such a religiously oriented community/geographic area.

Now, I don't consider myself to have a formal religion or faith, but I have my own little beliefs. I've done some research on various religions and spiritual paths, and I've just let my soul guide me toward the ideas that I can truly believe deep inside (as opposed to trying to force myself to believe in something).

What helped me the most was Buddhism, since it focuses more on practical ways in which you can live your life in contentment. It doesn't tell you to pray or else you'll go to hell. It only helps you make the most of your life as you're existing now. I've also read up a lot on Druidry, and although there is not much historical evidence of what the Druids believed back in the day, it still is a nice nature-centered approach to spirituality. (Some people think it's flakey, so let me warn you.)

What I'm trying to say is that (I think that) you don't really have to pick one religion, or one spiritual path, and stick to it to the extreme. The more you research what's out there, the more open-minded you will be, the more you will learn, the more your mind will take in. Eventually, somewhere along your path, you'll pick up a few ideas here and there that specifically appeal to you.

I just personally do not think that one has to restrict him/her-self to only one religious or spiritual path.

By the way, if you're more interested in a religious-type path, you should definitely read the Gnostic Gospels.