How to progress and move onto...?

Expression

Been seeing this girl I've like for nearly 2 years, more frequently lately. But I'm finding it hard to develop things beyond friendly meetings.

It used to be tricky to get together due to schedules, but because of the holiday season, it's been easier.

We hang out exclusively, though we're not doing anything couple-like.

We just had 2 meetings in a row and I couldn't be happier - except for the fact that I'm finding it hard to get closer to her.

We spent pretty much the entire Christmas Day together, sharing both lunch and dinner with one another (casually of course, not formal affairs). I even got her a gift stocking, full of stuff I knew she'd like, based on observations I've picked up on in the past. Boxing Day was dinner and a movie, though she was fairly lethargic since she went on her first drinking binge at the behest of her work friends, after we had parted on Christmas. Being the gentleman, I drove her home afterwards of course.

I've overcome any awkwardness in conversation I may have had in the past and can lightly poke fun at her lightly; which I did, ensuring I kept her amused despite her not feeling so good. I've been trying to move on her subtly through it all. I lean near her when we're sitting, I'll playfully hit her head sometimes, I'll pat/rub her shoulders casually, etc. She doesn't seem to be repulsed by any of this, though she's not showing any substantial "return signs" herself. (She *is* beginning to hit me playfully when I make silly remarks though). I've had my arm over her, kinda as a support/leading her as we walk, but I can't bring myself to truly put my arm around her yet (which I so wanted to, when I was casually rubbing her shoulder) because it feels like such a big move.

The end of the day/night is always the most inept in fact, because there's rarely any physical goodbye (I've yet to even hug her, which I do with my female friends all the time). So it always ends kinda hollow.

She clearly doesn't object to my company, since she's made some plans for us herself. But is she just interested in me as a friend...? Or could she possibly be waiting for me to make the first major move? Hoping for the latter, how would I know and how would I go about it?

She is definitely interested. Playful hitting is always a good sign. The next time you see her ask her if she would like to go on a date and make sure you use the word "date". She's just waiting for you to make a move. The lack of a physical goodbye may be because she wants you to make a move and is disappointed when you don't. Just blurt out the invitation for a date if you have to. if you think about it you will chicken out. Good Luck!

I'm pretty sure she's single, so I don't feel out of league. But she tends to be busy quite a lot and seems to see her work and study peers much more often, due to proximity and a longer history. In fact, me being a part of her life at all has been a driven initiative which would've never happened had I never obtained her email.

She's blogged once where she considers friends being more important than lovers due to the extreme effects she's seen it do to people Stuff like this makes me wonder whether she's willing to get together if it came up, because if not, then the friendship would be awkward thereafter. She's either not interested or just shy and submissive because she's not showing any clear signs - it's very ambiguous. At the moment it just feels like friends who hang out exclusively.

I've been gradually increasing my attraction/flirting signals; I've described her qualities as cute on 2 occasions (though not in person) and mentioned that I work hard so I can continue to pay for dinners. I've also floated the idea of an outdoor cinema outing which she has also mentioned interest in once, in passing.

Don't know when our next meeting will be, since we're back to clashing schedules, though I suspect she has bought me a belated Christmas gift. Perhap I should wait for her to make a move and schedule the next meeting...?