Question

Maria1980

I think it depends on the province. Provided she has worked there for at least 13 weeks (before taking her leave), she is entitled to 17 weeks of pregnancy leave and 35 weeks of parental leave. This is for Ontario, but may be slightly different in other parts of Canada.

It is not paid, but the government will pay her some maternity benefits. (Unless her company has good benefits, and then they will pay her as well)

I think it depends on the province. Provided she has worked there for at least 13 weeks (before taking her leave), she is entitled to 17 weeks of pregnancy leave and 35 weeks of parental leave. This is for Ontario, but may be slightly different in other parts of Canada.

It is not paid, but the government will pay her some maternity benefits. (Unless her company has good benefits, and then they will pay her as well)

would you know how much the government will pay?

"The basic benefit rate is 55% of your average insured earnings up to a maximum amount of $413 per week. Your EI payment is a taxable income, meaning federal and provincial or territorial taxes, if it applies, will be deducted from your payment. "

link removed

It depends on the employer and how long she has been working there. When I was working on part time I could only get health benefits and options for maternity leave after I had gotten permanent part time which would happen after 2 years of employment. But it varies from place to place so have her contact her employer. ( I too am in Canada).

If she us unable to get mat leave, she might be able to go on EI --- I'm not sure for how long or how much she would get - she would probably have to get her employer to lay her off and then she can claim EI.

Thank you for the link. But I don't see anything for part time workers.. hummm

It is the same regardless of whether she is part-time, full-time, casual or term. The only thing is that she must have worked 600 hours in the last 52 weeks before taking her leave (That's 11 hours per week for a year).

Check out this website if the other one was too complicated:

link removed

"Through EI, you can receive a combination of maternity and parental benefits, up to a combined maximum of 50 weeks (a maximum of 15 weeks for maternity leave plus a maximum of 35 weeks for parental leave).

Parental benefits are paid to parents while they are caring for a newborn or adopted child, up to a maximum of 35 weeks. These benefits can be claimed by the mother, usually starting after the 15 weeks of maternity leave have passed, shared between the two parents, or collected by the father. Like maternity benefits, the qualification requirement for parental benefits is 600 insured work hours in the 52 previous weeks.

The basic rate of benefits is 55 per cent of average insured earnings – up to a maximum of $413 per week. Most qualified claimants receive their first benefit payment within 28 days from the date of filing for the claim."

...This applies for any province