HELP!!!! How to leave employment

Hi. Here's the problem...I'm planning on leaving my current employment in 2 weeks. I've been there for only 3 months but it's just not making me happy. I have university degrees and this company is not taking advantage of it's greatest ressource...me! LOL.

Anyway, legally I don't need to give notice (I live in Canada) but I realize that it's the nice thing to do. The issue is that I fear that they'll either a) make my life hell for that week or b) try to terminate me after I give notice (which they really can't do but they don't seem to know the law very well).

Should I give a week's notice and see what happens or should I just wait until the Friday is over, hand in my notice and walk right out? This job has been stressful, the employers don't know what they're doing with their employees, and I've had enough. That said, my bosses are good guys...they just need to get their stuff together!

Please help! I'm so confused on what to do!!!

If I was you, I'd put in my 2 week notice, or 1 week. Then if they start giving you crap, just leave. Thats what I did with my previous job. I did the right thing & put in my 2 week notice. My boss then became an even bigger pain in the *** than she already was. So, I simply left that day & never returned except to turn in my trackberry early in the morning the next day. Just left it with the receptionist. I wasnt about to take her crap, and niether should you.

By the time I put in my notice or leave I will have been there 3 months. So, yes after the probationary time.

I'm just conflicted on what to do. My boyfriend says "be the better 'man"" and to give my one weeks notice, but there a part of me that doesn't even want to bother and just leave.

Technically speaking, they can't terminate me just because I give notice. They need just cause (i.e. theft)...which I have not done! And if they make my life hell it's against the law and I can file a complaint with the human right's commission.

I just don't know if I want to deal with that especially when I have another job starting in the new year and x-mas to think about.

I tend to agree with you, but there's the issue of money.

I don't make a lot of money and the other job starts in Jan (I will be paid monthly)...meaning I don't get another check until the end of Jan.

The best thing for me financially is to work there as long as I can but if I give notice then there's the stress issue and if they can me, etc etc etc.

I really want to do the right thing but I also have to look out for myself. No one else is going to pay my student loans...unless someone here is volunteering?

If you are still on probation right NOW, you could walk out clean and easy.

But if you wait the 2 weeks after probation, I would really encourage you to give your 2 weeks. You say your bosses are basically nice people, just the job is stressful and they don't know what they are doing?

Well, if you stand strong and tough it out for the 2 weeks you could possibly walk away with some decent references. If you can avoid burning bridges, it's the way to go.

tc

I tend to agree with you, but there's the issue of money.

I don't make a lot of money and the other job starts in Jan (I will be paid monthly)...meaning I don't get another check until the end of Jan.

The best thing for me financially is to work there as long as I can but if I give notice then there's the stress issue and if they can me, etc etc etc.

I really want to do the right thing but I also have to look out for myself. No one else is going to pay my student loans...unless someone here is volunteering?

Well, if thats the issue then, just walk away. You're right, you gotta look out for #1.

Thanks to both of you for the advice! I will think it over.

You're right, if I can avoid burning bridges it's always the best option. My gut is saying there's no way that I won't so I might as well look out for myself. At the end of the day the reference from these guys isn't necessary for what I want to do.

I think I'll see how the next 2 weeks go and if there's still drama then I'll leave without notice. If it's been good then I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks again!

I agree that burning bridges is never a good idea! You never know when you may encounter one of these people again... and it may not necessarily be your boss, but the person who has to pick up the slack you leave! Take the high road and give your two weeks notice. Do your best to make your transition out smooth. You may be surprised, sometimes bosses don't realize that there is a problem until they lose a good employee... you may find the next couple of weeks to be fantastic as they are trying to convince you to stay!

Secondly, I wouldn't quit early after giving a two weeks notice unless there is a very good reason for me not to. (Is my health/life in danger?) Again, keep the damage of you leaving to a minimum. True, it may not be fun, but there are many things in life that we have to do that aren't fun. Make it a lesson in learning to keep a positive attitude in a times of misery. Plus, as bad as it may get, it's a lot of fun to smile and know that you're getting the last laugh... you're leaving in a few days!!!

DaDancingPsych: thanks for your advice! I have to disagree with you on a point. First, I don't think I should have to put up with an unhealthy (mentally, physically, etc) environment just for having given my notice.

I never said I would quit early after giving notice (if that was my choice). I would only leave if the conditions were unhealthy. For example, if they were purposely causing stress, making remarks, calling me names, insulting me, etc.

I don't believe in putting up with other people's stuff just because it's the "good thing to do". If they're going to be immature about it then I refuse to stay.

That said, I agree with not trying to burn any bridges. I happen to like my bosses on a personal level so I'm leaning towards giving a week's notice. I would of course love to have a great reference and remain on good terms, but my fear is that it won't be possible. Numerous comments and actions indicate that me leaving will not be taken well.

Possibly you misunderstand my post or maybe I wasn't articulate enough. Either way, certainly no one should remain in an unhealthy situation. You've given no specific examples of your particular case and I'm not there to see it, so quite honestly, only you know what's best for you.

But I also think that there is a fine line between being in an unhealthy situation and being in an unpleasant one. I've certainly had jobs that I wasn't happy doing and once I found other employment, I wanted out the door as soon as possible. However, I still gave the two weeks notice. It didn't make me any happier, but it left the employer and my co-workers will a more positive view of me. I like to think that this will work towards my benefit in the future as I can use them for references and I don't fear crossing professional paths with them in the future.

This is what I'm suggesting to you. To take a serious look at the situation and consider whether it is truly unhealthy and if you must walk out early. Again, I don't know your complete situation and you have to make the end decision, but my requested advice is to stick it out as best you can.

Good luck! Leaving a position can be stressful, but new, better opportunities are coming your way!

Oooh, I understand what you were trying to say now.

Yes, I agree with you completely about trying to take the high road and not burning bridges. I'm still on the fence about my situation as it is a little different than just being unhappy in my employment. There are so many examples of overtime worked and not recognized or paid for, inconsideration of my personal life, not taking my suggestions seriously or even acknowledging it…telling me to come into work early and then not being there or providing me the information in order for me to complete my work. It’s one thing after the other and they have no idea (or probably don’t care) that I’m unhappy and that I can do so much more than what they give me credit for.

But thanks for your advice! I’m going to try my best to stick through it and do the right thing.

wow thats weird im in the same boat as u. putting my notice in a week, im goin back 2 school on a scholarship full time. i would love 2 work the extra 2 weeks, but im still in my proab. period so i figure they will let me go, but im stll gonna put the notice in. i just hate knowing your putting ur notice in but everyone talks 2 you like your not. not that i don't want to tell them, just not the right time 2 do it.

The right thing to do is to give 2 weeks notice, at a minimum. Tell them in person that you are resigning, and explain your reasons to them. You don't HAVE to give them your reasons, but if you go about it the right way, they might not put you through hell for the next 2 weeks. Plus, maybe they can do something for you that'll make your job more appealing (i.e. different tasks). Bring a formal letter with you, too, when you do tell them.

Another added benefit of giving at least 2 weeks notice: Future potential employers will call them for a reference-- you don't want to look like a jerk! Just keep your own interests and needs in mind. They are #1.

Give them at least one week's notice. It's the right thing to do. Two weeks notice is ideal when you want to avoid burning your bridges and do the right thing, but one weeks notice is good enough. The crummy thing to do is give them zero notice. That type of behavior will come back on you some day in some way because what goes around often comes back around.

They won't put you through any extra crud if they want you to stay there that one or two weeks. It wouldn't be in their interestes to do so. If they did give you serious grief during that week, well then you could leave sooner with a clean conscience, but I doubt they would be nasty during that week. If they do find a replacement before your week or two is up, then they might replace you as soon as they have the replacement, but that's OK. You don't want to be there anyway.

I once gave two weeks notice at a place. They were extra nice to me that last two weeks because they had no reason to criticize me for anything since I was leaving anyway. Also, they wanted to be nice because they didn't want me walking out before they found and oriented a replacement. Those last two weeks were the best I ever had at that place.

Send around good things and some of that will come back to you. Send around bad things and much of that will come back to you.

Thanks for the advice. I've decided in giving a week's notice. I've only been there for 3 months so I don't think 2 weeks is necessary. I'll do the right thing...be mature and then see what happens.

Like I've said before, I don't need a reference from them. I have enough from other employers, but it sure would be nice if everything was good between me and them. I'll keep you posted on what happens.