A question for pet owners involved in a breakup of live-in relationship.

One question for anyone else who was in a live-in relationship and had pets. How do you help your pet(s) with their grief? My ex of almost 7 years took the cat she had when she moved in with me, but we have 4 other 4-footed kids (2 cats and 2 dogs) that she's abandoned along with me. I'm giving them lots of attention, but they're greiving, too. One of the 2 cat "kids" is a one-person cat who would only come to her for strokes and love and she still won't approach me or let me pet her. I plan to try to keep them busy too with play, walks and attention.. (They're certainly a comfort to me and I am happy to have all 4 of these "kids.") What has worked for anyone else in this situation?

Well, you can only do your best really. Animals will come around, especially when they know you are upset.... they can always tell. I myself shared 4 ferrets, 2 cats, a bird, and many other small critters with my ex. The bird is going through a bit of a rough time, she liked us both but it appears she liked us both at the same time. She's gone through phase of plucking.

I just give them as much attention as I can... and they will get over it just as you will... takes time for these things I suppose

I will be going through something similar in a few weeks - I am moving out and bringing my dog with me. He's been raised since a puppy with Tim's dog, Mira - and I wonder how to help him through the loss of both Tim and Mira. I am concerned about Wrigley's emotional state and how to help him through it because I will be grieving as well.

Animals do better with routine, much like children do...

Try to keep the same routine as you did when the two of you were together and see if that helps. Potty times, feeding times, outings,play and snuggle time. Does this cat like a particular chair in the house better than the others? Where is it that your x would sit most of the time? Try holding the cat there for periods of time and about the same time of day when your x would be relaxing.

Cats are normally horrible with change, give it time to adjust.