Why are we compelled to tease the person we like?

Eddward

I'm normally not the kind of guy who ribs people much, but whenever I'm with the girl I like, it's on. And she gives it back to me just as bad, leading to an infinite teasing loop. And I know I'm not the only one like this.

But I'm not too sure why. What makes me so enjoy getting a rise out of her?

I don't know, but that's a great question. It's innate, I think. Cause little kids do it. When I was in primary school I would crawl under the table and thump the little boy I liked in the shins .

It's fun...we all do it, and just cause you did it when you were a kid, doesn't mean you can't do it as an adult. It's the idea of playfulness, it keeps you on your toes, wondering if he/she likes you.

In the idea of being an adult though, teasing and sarcasm with someone you like adds tension, but hopefully not in a bad way. I haven't really met a girl yet who doesn't like a little teasing here and there, and like he said above, if they do it back...it's on.

I mean, it's even going on right now with a girl I'm going out with here this weekend...we can't keep our hands off one another, she's always poking/grabbing my side since she found out I'm horribly ticklish there, and I grab her back and trip her all the time(we work together..yeah i know hah). And of course when she runs into me/I run into her...I just call her clumbsy(sp?) hah...it's all in good fun, and honestly to me...it's a lot of tension...it's going to make our first kiss like 10times better when it actually comes because I've been wanting to do it for so long now.

I'm normally not the kind of guy who ribs people much, but whenever I'm with the girl I like, it's on. And she gives it back to me just as bad, leading to an infinite teasing loop. And I know I'm not the only one like this.

But I'm not too sure why. What makes me so enjoy getting a rise out of her?

If it is working for you, don't question it too much. You might not like it after you figure it out.

I think teasing is all apart of the flirting, I think it puts a bit of excitement into everything.

I'm like that with my boyfriend, I tend to take things off him until he's willing to playfully fight with me to get it off me, it consists of tickling, love bites and giggles. I guess teasing is all about feeling playfully comfortable with the one you like/or partner.

Probably as a way to ease tension. Also, it's easy to be super witty when you're teasing, and you're trying to show her your witty side.

Now get over it and ask her out already!

I will as soon as I can find her. I haven't actually seen her since last school year, and we have no classes together now.

But come hell or high water, I WILL find her, I WILL ask her out, and I WILL MOST LIKELY be publicly humiliated when it turns out she got a boyfriend during the summer that I didn't know about.

Aww, you follow your heart Edd! that is so cool.

No, I've actually thought this one through pretty well. In order to avoid posting my amazingly cynical plan again, I direct you here.

It's not so much following my heart as taking advantage of an opportunity and situation I may never get again.